Poision Ivy for a month Help!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

C SAW 090

Extremist Chainsaw Junkie
Reaction score
Hello, Ive been cutting a sucky piece of land full of poision ivy, As spring moves on the ivy is getting worse,anybody know any good ways to get rid of it?

Weed eat it down and then spray it, or just spray it. I have Lye Soap from an Amish store for if I get it on me.

Bleach not diluted put some on a cotton ball and apply where the rash is. It WILL BURN!!!! but it works better then anything I have used.

Weed eat it down and then spray it, or just spray it. I have Lye Soap from an Amish store for if I get it on me.

StopDon't weed eat it you will get that stuff all over you just spray it and then ran away as fast as you can.

If you are spraying Poison Ivy, it is best to spray the plant when it is flowering, as the plant is using most of its energy reserves to produce the flower. Thus, spraying at that time will have more affect than spraying after it flowers.

Since Poison Ivy is a re-sprouter, it will take more than one spray application to kill the plant, especially older plants. Plants in the seedling stage are more easily killed by herbicides.

If you are spraying Poison Ivy, it is best to spray the plant when it is flowering, as the plant is using most of its energy reserves to produce the flower. Thus, spraying at that time will have more affect than spraying after it flowers.

Since Poison Ivy is a re-sprouter, it will take more than one spray application to kill the plant, especially older plants. Plants in the seedling stage are more easily killed by herbicides.

I thought you sprayed in the fall because it was translocating so absorbed through leaves would get better root kill.

As far as working in it? I guess if you're sensitive, that sucks- I'm in it thick, often, just grin and bear it, I get it, but not too bad.

I thought you sprayed in the fall because it was translocating so absorbed through leaves would get better root kill.

Depends on what chemical you're spraying. Dormant season spraying is a waste of money here.

Generally, you want to spray a plant when it is at its most susceptible stage of growth; flowering, fruiting, and before seeding out. For Poison Ivy, best chemical control is achieved May through June.

You also want to spray when temps are high and humidity is high, allows for more trans-location.

Then again, it all boils down to the active ingredient, the plant, and the label.

Last edited:
Depends on what chemical you're spraying. Dormant season spraying is a waste of money here.

Generally, you want to spray a plant when it is at its most susceptible stage of growth; flowering, fruiting, and before seeding out. For Poison Ivy, best chemical control is achieved May through June.

You also want to spray when temps are high and humidity is high, allows for more trans-location.

Then again, it all boils down to the active ingredient, the plant, and the label.

I was talking just before senescence, round-up.

I use ivy block. It's a lotion you put on before work and it blocks the oils that cause the reaction. If I do get the rash, I use a wash called zandfels. It's expensive but it works. Both of these should be on the shelf at any pharmacy.

This time of year, it's not real hard to kill with Glyphosate.

Just make sure to add a surficant or a good spreader/sticker, and ammend your water with ammonium sulphate if it has a high calcium content, and go with a high rate.

Plain old 2-4-D does a better job with less fuss IMO, but isn't exactly friendly to anything else growing in close proximity on a hot day, as it is volitile. If you don't have desireables around though, just add a good surficant and give 'em hell.

Give it 2 weeks to burn down, and use a rake to clear it off. Wear long sleeves, gloves, and don't even think about burning it...folks get permanently dead from inhaling PI smoke and those that don't get dead, wish they were.

Those 3 or 4 prong "Claw" things city folks use in the garden are perfect for clearing PI vines, and if you keep an eye open they can be found with a rake handle. Ya can't totally avoid getting the crud on ya, but you can minimize it....and get even with the evil weed.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

If you really get poison ivy like myself, all the remedies listed here just won't cut it. And the smoke from burning it might just be enough to kill me as my throat could swell shut. Every single encounter with poison ivy in my life ( and there have been plenty ) has lead to a trip to the doctors office for some Prednisone - most times a shot in the butt to get it started then the rest in pill form.

One poster mentioned bleach and it may sound rough but it does help to dry it out...it does burn like hell though.

As far as killing the plant, Roundup works best when temps are at least in the 70's. Doesn't matter what time of year. The stuff you get in stores will knock it back some but if you really want to kill it, get the Roundup you need a permit for from a local farmer who has their permits. Its much much stronger than what the average Joe can buy.

If you really get poison ivy like myself, all the remedies listed here just won't cut it. And the smoke from burning it might just be enough to kill me as my throat could swell shut. Every single encounter with poison ivy in my life ( and there have been plenty ) has lead to a trip to the doctors office for some Prednisone - most times a shot in the butt to get it started then the rest in pill form.

One poster mentioned bleach and it may sound rough but it does help to dry it out...it does burn like hell though.

As far as killing the plant, Roundup works best when temps are at least in the 70's. Doesn't matter what time of year. The stuff you get in stores will knock it back some but if you really want to kill it, get the Roundup you need a permit for from a local farmer who has their permits. Its much much stronger than what the average Joe can buy.

You guys in Jersey need a permit for Glyphosate?
Wow....

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

How is the smoke toxic ?

When you burn it the Oil from the leaves and vines goes airborne. You need to stand well clear while it is burning or the smoke if inhaled will do to you Throat, Lungs and Esophogus what it does to your skin. When I remove a lot I will spray it and pile it in an out of the way place for a couple of years. Once the vines have aged a couple of years the oils in the plant have degraded to a point that they are no longer dangerous and can then be burnt safely.

Back