Poision Ivy for a month Help!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
StopDon't weed eat it you will get that stuff all over you just spray it and then ran away as fast as you can.

I wore a pair of throw away coveralls for this, it was an expanding patch back in the deep woods behind my place. I usually just spray it.

You guys in Jersey need a permit for Glyphosate?
Wow....

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Not for the watered down stuff you buy with the Roundup label on it. I am talking about the high concentration stuff where just a few drops will take out 10' high brush.

If you really want to kill Poison Ivy with fire, you'll need a hot summer fire with very low soil moisture. But that kind of prescription is not for the average Joe to be burning under, only guys with many years of experience working hot summer fires.

Smoke management should be a top priority when burning any Poison Ivy. Oil from the plant that covers a pin head is enough to make 500 people itch, so imagine what happens when that oil vaporizes in a fire and is carried through smoke; lots of breathing issues and even death from inhaling that smoke.

Anytime you think about burning a specific plant for control, I would check out the USFS Fire Effects Information System (FEIS) Database. Lots of good reading in there on many plants and the effects of fire, and the plant responses to different fire severity.

T. radicans FEIS - Toxicodendron radicans, T. rydbergii

FEIS Database Home - Home page, Fire Effects Information System (FEIS): Reviews of knowledge about fire and ecology for more than 1,000 species in North America

Oh, and the oil will stay active on dead plants for up to 5 years. Go grab some dead Poison Ivy and see what happens.

Last edited:
I don't know about poison ivy. I assume it would be similar to poison oak. Don't burn it unless you live miles away from any neighbors. Make sure you have good health insurance and a nice hospital.

It used to be that during fire season, in Northern California and Southern Oregon, somebody on a crew would inhale the poison oak smoke, and being sensitive, get a trip to the hospital for an overnight stay and treatment. One year it was a woman from our area.

If I were your neighbor, and was sensitive, and you torched it off with the smoke coming my way, well, I might be a little bit angry and phone a lawyer.

As for treating the skin eruption, there are people called doctors. Sometimes, it is wise to go see them.
I just found out that we had worked in poison oak a couple weeks ago. I am apparently still insensitive so no problems. But a guy that I worked with had an eruption from wrist to elbow, and had to go get proper medical help to start getting it cured. No bleach--real medicine.

ZANFEL. I have gone to the doctor for prednizone pills and anti-histamine prescriptions, but this works the best for the rash.

How is it toxic ?

could you imagine how painful it is in your lungs and throat. If you breath it in and are allergic, you could stop breathing...

I worked in the stuff many times without ill effect. Then one day, ZAMMO! Rash city. Now I bubble up like a pot of chili if I so much as look at it. It's been said that there are two sorts of people: those that are sensitive to poison-oak, and those that will be. It's just plain nasty.

Fun pic: I took this while getting my first nasty rash. I knew what it was, thought it was worth noting its location, and got this pic. Only later did life begin to suck. This rash took almost a month to heal completely.

IMGP4717_small.jpg

IMGP4872_small.jpg

It got worse than this picture, by far, but I was just too damned miserable to do anything but sit there and feel sorry for myself, so this is the best pic I have.

Last edited:
those that are sensitive to poison-oak, and those that will be.

Word.

I could walk through it for a long time with no problems. Only recently became allergic to it some 4 years ago. "Never say never."

Several years back I learned a cheap trick to stop the itching.
It most likely will only work some place that has air conditioning.

Hop in the shower and turn the water up to HOT. As HOT:angry2: as you can stand for as long as you can stand. It will itch like nothing you have ever felt before. IT IS BAD. When you are as red a cooked lobster turn the water to COLD. Cool off to the point that you will not sweat after you get out of the shower. Drip Dry and turn the AC down. The itch will be gone and you can get a nights sleep. It works quite well.

Had a guy to tell me that HOT Sauce will make it stop itching as well. Have not tried that.

David

I am still OK in it. When I got sent to fires by myself, I would set up my tent in the midst of it. That way, nobody else would camp next to me. I would have preferred to have some fake poison oak plants to scatter around.

I discovered this method after accidently setting my tent up in a patch. I was trying to sleep--I was on the night shift. In came a crew from Alaska with boom box set on loud, and they started to settle in. I was depressed. Then their crewboss started hollering at them to get out of the poison oak! They moved to a spot far far away, and I went back to sleep as well as one can sleep during a hot day in fire camp.

Several years back I learned a cheap trick to stop the itching.
It most likely will only work some place that has air conditioning.

Hop in the shower and turn the water up to HOT. As HOT:angry2: as you can stand for as long as you can stand. It will itch like nothing you have ever felt before. IT IS BAD. When you are as red a cooked lobster turn the water to COLD. Cool off to the point that you will not sweat after you get out of the shower. Drip Dry and turn the AC down. The itch will be gone and you can get a nights sleep. It works quite well.

Had a guy to tell me that HOT Sauce will make it stop itching as well. Have not tried that.

David

Realize that all the First Aid courses say COLD water.

The folks that wrote the first aid courses never had a good case of poison oak.

Try the HOT water meathod. It works.

David

I have to go with DFK on this one. First aid info says to shower with cold water the very first time you know you were in the stuff. This way as the urushiol is being rinsed off your body, your pores are more closed than open - it's supposed to help with spreading. Once you have taken that first shower, hot as you can stand it does take away the itch for some time - its almost bitter sweet as the hot water hits your skin. You will want to scratch like a man possessed at first but after a little while the itching feeling goes away completely.

Realize that all the First Aid courses say COLD water.

Yep.

Cold. When washing after an exposure in the attempt to decon. Keeps the pores closed and less apt to hold Urishoil.

AFTER decon, and AFTER the reaction has started, and AFTER the Urishol has been removed....Hot water works to drive the histamines from the affected tissues, and therefore slow/stop the itching untill the histamines once again build up locally.

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

Latest posts

Back