Poison Ivy ID

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Round-up (gly) alone is only marginally effective. It will weaken it some, but in a few weeks it will be back. Gly mixed with 2-4d or Gly + Ortho tough brush killer works much better.

DO NOT BURN THE REMAINS. I know a fella that sprayed a bunch and pulled it down after it died. He burned it in a burn barrel to dispose of it. Nearly killed him. The irritants don't go away. It became airborne and breathing the smoke from it caused an outbreak IN his lungs. Spent days in the ICU.

I cannot ID poison ivy that easily. I got into some on a fence line a few years back. I was miserable for a while. Now I just look for leaves of three and let it be. So, I think I have some growing by the barn. See the pictures; what do you think. Yes or No.

Yes!

I've got this in my yard. The leaves look different. Same stuff?
View attachment 299051

View attachment 299052

Yes! Scalloped edges or no, its poison ivy. It grows as ground brush and as a vine. The vines are easily identified because they have thousands of very fine red tendrils or hairs that allow them to attach to its support; a tree, building or whatever. Don't burn the stuff as the vapor can be inhaled and cause a reaction and earn you a trip to the ER!
A good way to get rid of it assuming you're not allergic to it is to cut the stems on the vines, but be sure to wash afterward. I use brush killer for the ground stuff.
If you're allergic to it I wouldn't get anywhere near the stuff!

Round-up (gly) alone is only marginally effective.

Actually the "ground cover" type is easier to kill than the "shrub" or "vine", I've had real good luck with RoundUp concentrate (purple top) mixed just a touch stronger than the instructions (i.e. I use 3oz per gallon, rather than the recommended 2.5oz "for tough weeds"). That particular RoundUp isn't the "fast acting" stuff... it takes 10-15 days before you start seeing results (on anything). Part of what makes Poison Ivy so hard to kill with chemicals is the wax-like coating on the leaves... the chemicals just bead-up and run off. But the "ground cover" PI isn't as waxy as the shrub and/or vine... still, I normally put a few drops of dish soap in the sprayer to reduce the water's surface tension, which reduces the tendency to bead-up and helps it cling to the leaves.

50% Glyphosate
attachment.php

By-the-way, there is a "RoundUp Poison Ivy Killer" but it requires 6oz per gallon because it's diluted... just RoundUp with a little broad leaf shrub killer added.

18% Glyphosate + 2% Triclopyr
attachment.php

Killing Poison Ivy

41% Generic Roundup mixed as per the label will kill the young ground ivy type easily. Another method is 2,4-D mixed as per the label. Using about a teaspoon of liquid soap to a couple gallons will act as a surfactant (break the water tension) and aid spreading and covering the leaf.

Now for the older vine type which seems to just love finding a tree to cling to. Cut through the stem right at the ground and just for good measure move up about a foot and cut through it again and rip that piece loose from the tree. Everything from that point is history just leave it alone.

Like what was said above --- do not burn any of it.

Nosmo

I was told to look at the edges of the leaves. If the inner edges of the 2 outer leaves are smooth and the the outer edges along with both edges of the center leaf are rough then it's poison. So far this rule has worked for me.

Last edited:
Hey thanks for all the replys. I have some 41% glyphosate concentrate arriving tomorrow. I will use that product to treat this growth. I will try some of the other suggested methods to get rid if it if needed. I just checked the inside of the stall and I have some runners reaching about 6' inside with the typical 3 leaf arrangement. I need to do a good inspection all around the barn to see if I have more around. I have some careful work ahead. Thanks again.

Round-up (gly) alone is only marginally effective. It will weaken it some, but in a few weeks it will be back. Gly mixed with 2-4d or Gly + Ortho tough brush killer works much better.

DO NOT BURN THE REMAINS. I know a fella that sprayed a bunch and pulled it down after it died. He burned it in a burn barrel to dispose of it. Nearly killed him. The irritants don't go away. It became airborne and breathing the smoke from it caused an outbreak IN his lungs. Spent days in the ICU.

One of my great uncles worked part time for the highway dept. in Washington county,NY. The men burned some P.I. along the road. Uncle was out of commision for 2 months!

Yup, That's Poision Ivy. If it has leaves of 3, let it be. Good trick I learned from personal experience. Not a fun time

Latest posts

Back