Poison ivy inhalation?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miko0618

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Is it possible to inhale it from sawing it? Or maybe sweat transferring it?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I'd say yes from sawing. I've definitely gotten it flung on me from string trimming. And while the sweat itself may or may not be enough, wiping said sweat certainly will. I used to not get it at all, but I believe repeated exposure has changed that. At any rate, now I get it quite easily. Years ago I could handle the vines etc without worry. These days if I even stick a string trimmer into a batch without seeing it first, I have it on most anywhere exposed including hands, arms, any exposed leg, and even on my face. I've found immediately washing with strong soap seems to minimize or even eliminate symptoms.

Worst thing I've seen was a group of guys that burned some vines in a barrel. Three of the five guys were hospitalized from inhaling it within several days. One made it to the ICU.

I didnt even think I was in it. I got it a month ago and keep getting it from touching whatever still has oil on it. But, I got a lot on my head and my throat is sore on one side. I feel like ****. I get it yearly but I havent been in it except once. So I was thinking either sweat spread it or maybe it was on my saw. I'm about to pitch all my clothes and bleach my equipment

I didnt even think I was in it. I got it a month ago and keep getting it from touching whatever still has oil on it. But, I got a lot on my head and my throat is sore on one side. I feel like ****. I get it yearly but I havent been in it except once. So I was thinking either sweat spread it or maybe it was on my saw. I'm about to pitch all my clothes and bleach my equipment

Some tips that have kept me safe for years.
look for it always before you cut.
Use long sleeves, gloves , safety glasses ,etc ,cover up good.
Use a pole pruner to clean as much away a possible before you start.
Don't let the sawdust land on you aim it away and position yourself accordingly.
If you are in it heavy throw the clothing away when done.
Last but not least keep washing it off in less than an hour with some strong soap like Orange hand cleaner or Dawn.
Oh and when you get home spray the saws down with a strong cleaner and wash them off.

There was a video where a guy described it. He put motor oil on his skin and washed it off. He claimed that because its an oil, it takes some real scrubbing. And that if you get to it in time, you can all but prevent the rash. Of course, thats all assuming you know you've hit it.

There was a video where a guy described it. He put motor oil on his skin and washed it off. He claimed that because its an oil, it takes some real scrubbing. And that if you get to it in time, you can all but prevent the rash. Of course, thats all assuming you know you've hit it.

I always look and rarely miss it.

Me too. I get it hiking or something. I just am confused by the repeat breakouts. And how this one is makes me think I did miss it and its work related.

Just saw this thread after posting one with the video you mentioned.

Is it possible to inhale it from sawing it? Or maybe sweat transferring it?

Yes! I have had extreme cases of both with poison ivy and poison sumac. Internally it is quite miserable, and of course you usually have it externally also.

Turns out I have shingles. How about that...

Latest posts

Back