POLL: Greasing bar tip sprocket frequency?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How often do you grease your tip?

• Yes, I grease bar tip sprocket upon every tank re-fuelling.

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Yes, a single daily greasing is sufficient.

Votes: 53 34.2%
  • No, bar & chain oil reaches and lubes the sprocket bearings.

Votes: 73 47.1%
  • The bar can be greased?

Votes: 15 9.7%

• Total voters
i dont grease the bar tip.

i just make sure the saw is oiling correctly

I don't grease every tank, but I keep it handy to do it regular. Don't know how much good it really does.

I grease the bar at the end of the day. I'm mostly concerned with moisture causing rust as it is usually very damp around here during "cutting" season. Can't say whether it is necessary or if it even does any good but it only takes a second and I already have the fancy dancy grease gun.

90% of my cutting is milling in hardwood. I keep most of my saw oilers on max and use Aux oilers on the nose of all my bars - even the 20". The aux oiler floods the chain at the nose with oil so the nose bearings get way more lube than a conventional saw would ever receive.

Each time I sharpen the chain, mostly at night in the shop after a day`s cutting. If a chain gets dulled in the woods then I just switch it out for another saw with full tanks and sharp chain.
Pioneerguy600 :cheers:

on my stihl bars never,oregon bar gets some when i remember,all oilers maxed out,i use a modified vetinary suringe and pack it with grease:D

I do it every time out. It's there for a reason. I give special attention to the roller nose bars. I REALLY don't want to trash one.

Back