POLL: Greasing bar tip sprocket frequency?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How often do you grease your tip?

• Yes, I grease bar tip sprocket upon every tank re-fuelling.

Votes: 14 9.0%
  • Yes, a single daily greasing is sufficient.

Votes: 53 34.2%
  • No, bar & chain oil reaches and lubes the sprocket bearings.

Votes: 73 47.1%
  • The bar can be greased?

Votes: 15 9.7%

• Total voters
may a few times. But i have 6or 8 of the little thum guns with antiseez ,lithlthem white& blackgraphite, silcone grease , i can get just a match head amount of grease. even vasline for lubeing seals.

You carry a grease gun around with you in the woods?

One the tailgate of the pickup..... I mostly cut in flat areas, no need to pack gasoline and oil with me. I just lay everything out on the tailgate.

I use a "Oregon Chain Saw Grease Gun". My GB bars are holding up okay in the dirty conditions that I cut in.

The only saw tool I carry with me while actually cutting is a scrench and my brain..... :monkey:

One the tailgate of the pickup..... I mostly cut in flat areas, no need to pack gasoline and oil with me. I just lay everything out on the tailgate.

I use a "Oregon Chain Saw Grease Gun". My GB bars are holding up okay in the dirty conditions that I cut in.

The only saw tool I carry with me while actually cutting is a scrench and my brain..... :monkey:

I see.

If it works for you thats whats good.

I used to burn about 1.5 gallons a day and it was NEVER flat ground.

Once you leave the truck, there aint no goin back till quitten time, unless of course you can burn up the skidder driver by getting wayy ahead!!
you are better off without grease bro....

Never have, chain oil lubricates the sprocket sufficiently.

Think about it. When you hold the bar tip over a light colorored surface and rev the saw, where is the oil going? It's going out, not in. How much oil do you really think gets down to the sprocket bearing? Can't be very much. I've seen a lot of busted out sprocket tips. I wonder how many could have been prevented by greasing the bearing.

I used to grease mine a lot in my younger days....not so much anymore. I haven't gone blind....but... I can't see very well without my glasses. WDO

There's a ton of posts over the years on this one, and I doubt we'll all agree.

Here's my take: I'm a tight-asz: a new nose costs $20 (I think), and I've never put one on my own saws. I file bars 2 or 3 times, until I'm down under .300 groove depth and there's a step at the harder metal in the nose. At that point, I get a new bar.

A friend and a neighbor have both asked me about bar life this year. Niether grease their noses, niether can possibly have more than 50 or 60 cords of firewood on their saws, and yet one's nose was locked up, the other's had split and lost all the rollers.

I should admit that these are Oregon bars, new style with the long tongue bar nose. I don't think they are the best, but they are very common here.

I know I can get 3 or 4 times that life by turning the bars, filing when they're getting bellied, and greasing. I'm not a mountain style pro, and am willing to walk back to the truck for a break when I'm cutting. Half the wood I cut is from 12 cord loads a logger has dropped off in the barnyard! The pro's that have to scramble up and down the side of a mountain will be forced to adapt to their conditions, but mine are a cakewalk and I can afford the time it takes to grease.

I took a long time to explain the trade offs, I guess.

i think most problems with bar noses comes from running the saw after the oill tank goes dry

Evan: i think most problems with bar noses comes from running the saw after the oill tank goes dry

I can see that on western saws with the oilers set all out. Here we use 20" bars a lot, and mid-size Husky/Jonsereds set at "3" will actually over oil, yet there's always just a bit of oil left when gas is gone. These neighbors have a Husky 61 and Jonsered 2065, good firewood saws for here, oilers are both set at 3, and oilers appear to be working fine (plenty oil sling).

IMO, the fault is Oregon's; I don't think they are all that great. But in my locale, Oregon distributor wants all the local trade, is willing to settle for tiny profit, so nobody carries anything else. Even Total/Jonsered bars are special order at Tilton dealers, and cost 40% more than Oregon, so maybe the end costs work out about the same.

I really like the Tsumura/total bars; I have a couple and a file barely touches them. They wear forever, and the noses seem to hold up fine. Too bad the dealers want $70 for a 20" Large Husky mount, $80 for the old-style Jonsered/Homelites.

I only grease the tip when I'm dong maintenance work on the bar--cleaning it, deburing the edges etc.

All I know is that at every fillup when I grease my bar noses... I never see the fresh grease push out any bar oil...:taped:

I do see it push out sawdust/chips quite frequently though. Maybe the chips do lubricate well... works for the naysayers apparently :clap: :rock: :):)

All I know is that at every fillup when I grease my bar noses... I never see the fresh grease push out any bar oil...:taped:

I do see it push out sawdust/chips quite frequently though. Maybe the chips do lubricate well... works for the naysayers apparently :clap: :rock: :):)

That's because the grease forms a barrier preventing the chain oil lubricating the sprocket :):popcorn:

Latest posts

Back