Poll: Is the wood you are cutting now going to be used this winter?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Are you splitting wood now to be used this winter?

• No, I am ahead of the game and splitting wood for next year

Votes: 105 57.7%
  • Yes, the wood I am splitting now will be burned this winter

Votes: 76 41.8%
  • I buy my wood pre-split

Votes: 1 0.5%

• Total voters

Motodeficient

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Just wondering how many of us are cutting/splitting wood now that will be used this winter for heating.

With the exception of the pine and hemlock I've been cutting for campwood sales (log pile from an operation maybe 4 years ago), I'm banking for the future.

Driving the truck down the access road into the woods is a hoot this time of year. Within a few seconds, I usually have an entourage of about 200 horse flies trailing me.

I've got a mix of both - some of what I cut now and soon will be used this winter, as some has been dead for a while (some is in log form and may not be dry, yet, and some are in rounds and need splitting). Others will be used for next winter, as it was cut live more recently. I've got a lot of wood piled, either in logs or rounds. Now I have a lot of bucking and splitting to do.

A bit of both, I have lots of dead to cut and get ready for this winter but am also banking rounds for future years. Think I'll be three years ahead by fall.

Last edited:
Im kinda behind right now usually I'm working on next years. Maybe ill kick it in gear and surprise myself.

Last year, was my first year processing my own wood. It was a VERY wet summer, rained all the time. I was terrified that my wood wouldn't be dry enough, and was sweating it out all summer/early fall. Turns out the wood was fine for the most part, but could have been better.

I scrounged enough to last 2 years. This year, all I had to get, was just enough to restock what I used last winter, and I am very thankful, that this year I will be burning 2 year dry wood. I won't let what happened my first year happen again. I like the feeling of being a year ahead, and will continue to scrounge when I can. I'd like to be 2 years ahead. I think I'll get there this year!

When we start cutting in the fall we will be cutting for 2012-13 season

Moved into the current place this last Feb. So I didn't have much of a choice.

The majority of what I will be burning I split before summer to give it as much time as I can. Can't be worse than the wood the PO left me, it looked like he had cut it a week ago.

Ive got about 15-20 cords ready to go at the moment for this year. WHat I cut fresh now is for for 2011-2012 year. Im goin for 50 cords that year:givebeer:

just cut as of last week I hate the heat of summer also cut today during a thunder storm got a nice 24 inch dead red oak split it on the spot:clap:

I am splitting wood for the 2013-14 season and have enough piled up needing split to actually use in the 2014-15 season.

I still need some shoulder season wood though.

The wood I burn this winter was cut last winter. I do not cut or split wood in the summer around here. But will need to try out the new splitter in a couple weeks :D

Im ahead, and if I dont quit cutting Im going to be way ahead. Got this winters wood split and stacked in the dry. Have next winters wood split and stacked outside, and if I had to guess Id say that I got the next, next, winters wood piled up still in log form. We have pretty mild winters for the most part, so it dont take me but about 5 cords to make it through.:cheers:

Back