Poll: What model for the next AS build off??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

What model would you prefer to see in the next AS build off?

• 044/MS440/046/MS460/Hybrid

Votes: 27 14.1%
  • MS441

Votes: 9 4.7%
  • MS261

Votes: 4 2.1%
  • 026/MS260

Votes: 11 5.8%
  • 066/MS660

Votes: 28 14.7%

Votes: 24 12.6%
  • 385/390

• 394/395

Votes: 37 19.4%
  • Other

Votes: 29 15.2%

• Total voters
Husqvarna 455!

The saw that everybody think is a dog! A chance to show how fast a strato, plastic clamshell saw can be! And let's keep the strato design working!

Boskaerm, now that is a cool idea. The're cheap, readily available and would test a builder's ability to build a strato saw. The clamshell design would preclude any trick milling of cylinders and pistons, so it would be a build that anyone could do - and applicable for the average chainsaw user.

A build off of a contemporary design that would have application for the future.

However, having built a clamshell strato, I would have to allow unlimited discretion for the carburetor in the rules for the build off.

I reckon it should be an 034 build off! Mine wins! it screams! I am stihl running way rich and am pulling LOTS more revs than it ever has and it was always a screamer. can hardly get it to 2 stroke! and it is stock except for the piston and the port job I gave it, which was nothing extreme.

Mdavlee, What if the cylinder was good to start with? Beside's they are out there, and among the best cylinder's made. These one's I thought could be cleaned up, not like modern disposable one's. It is already built like , well my opinion the best. I t would be hard to build it better. Nothing cheaply made about it. It's too bad husky dropped that cc class. In my opinion that's what they should shoot for to compete with the 660. That would be a build. A 99cc 395. Make it nimble like the 660, but with the 99cc, like the 2100. You got a saw!

No way is a 395 as nimble as a 660 and honestly making it 99 cc isn't going to make it quicker unless you start cutting more than 40 inch cookies!

Boskaerm, now that is a cool idea. The're cheap, readily available and would test a builder's ability to build a strato saw. The clamshell design would preclude any trick milling of cylinders and pistons, so it would be a build that anyone could do - and applicable for the average chainsaw user.

A build off of a contemporary design that would have application for the future.

However, having built a clamshell strato, I would have to allow unlimited discretion for the carburetor in the rules for the build off.

Sorry, but I don't understand what you say about the carburettor?

I stihl say 034 should be the build, no 036 tops, just what you can do with the 46 mm piston and cylinder. only the standard zama or tilly carb. standard exhaust modified within reason I.E. no more than 85 percent exhaust area than that of the exhaust port, no protrusions more than 3/4 inch, and must have a working spark arrestor setup. Basically suitable for working in the forest without breaching forestry rules. lets see how good you all are!

Boskaerm, the carb issue has to do with the EPA limits on emissions. The stratos are usually set up so that the strato timing is longer than the intake timing. Further, the carbs are usually rather small so that there is a strong bias of fresh air in the cylinder from the strato system compared to the amount of mixture that come in through the carb/intake port.

I found that by matching the timing of the strato and intake port that it gives the maximum potential for flow while maximising the base compression of the intake system.

If you then maximise the intake flow with a larger carb your time/area of the strato/intake system is WAY higher than any conventional two-stroke engine.

Stratos are the future. Why not see what some builders can do with a strato?

An excellent idea...I'll bet it would spread the field a little more. No established "rules of thumb" to follow. The 455 idea appeals to me too, because I couldn't afford to play if it were a more expensive model.

Great a 1100-2100-2101 build off. Ill be hosting, and all you fellas can send them out to my new P.O. box. Then sadly, the day after the GTG, I will be retiring from this site :D

I dont see that series being good for a build off. Around here those saws seem to be made of the "unobtanium"

455s are plenty, 10-10s, XLs, Mini Macs :D

Yeah, and the 455 has transfer port covers, so if you want to change the transfer timing, area or angle of discharge, it doesn't take expensive porting tools to do it - you could use a set of needle files.

Yeah, and the 455 has transfer port covers, so if you want to change the transfer timing, area or angle of discharge, it doesn't take expensive porting tools to do it - you could use a set of needle files.

Sounding better all the time!

Great a 1100-2100-2101 build off. Ill be hosting, and all you fellas can send them out to my new P.O. box. Then sadly, the day after the GTG, I will be retiring from this site :D

I dont see that series being good for a build off. Around here those saws seem to be made of the "unobtanium"

455s are plenty, 10-10s, XLs, Mini Macs :D

Yeah the 1100/2100 series are unheard of in my area also. I think it would be better to use a saw that's been around awhile and there's plenty of parts laying around for them.

An excellent idea...I'll bet it would spread the field a little more. No established "rules of thumb" to follow. The 455 idea appeals to me too, because I couldn't afford to play if it were a more expensive model.

That goes for me too, and many others I'm sure. The 346, 660, 7900 are all great saws, but expensive to buy just to see if you can make the fastest one. If that's the case, winning is winning... who cares if it's a $100 saw or a $1100 saw.

I say lets do something different. Something cheap or vintage. I'm kinda tired of the same old 346-7900 "look how fast my saw is".

How 'bout a 166 comp.?

We could hold it up in Mahthahs Vinyahd (seems Lee owns 50% of 'em)

Sure wouldn't need to worry about too many contestants eh? (not like say a Mac 10-10 build-off?)

As mentioned by several the number of builds should be limited for the type of inviroment they are being tested. I also feel the build should be on a saw that would be used in the field. I voted for the 440-460 but after viewing the threads would like to go back and change it to the 7900 build off. They are hard to show big gains on and would challenge the field. I also love to cut with this saw.

These GTGs are setting the stage for the "big show" and I cannot believe no one has mentioned it. I see in the future a hay days (the largest snowmobile swap ever) type get together for chainsaws. I just hope when this takes place I don't have to fly to the show every year. It would allow the big venders and swappers to get together. Instead of grass drags it will be ported saw races with multiple sizes and sanctions so it becomes competative. This would take chainsaws and porting to the next level. I know there are some payoffs for getting this big and commercialized but there are some big benifits also. I feel having the ability to meet with the Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, and other main manufacters in person to vioce your concerns and wanted improvements would be awesome.

These GTGs are setting the stage for the "big show" and I cannot believe no one has mentioned it. I see in the future a hay days (the largest snowmobile swap ever) type get together for chainsaws. I just hope when this takes place I don't have to fly to the show every year. It would allow the big venders and swappers to get together. Instead of grass drags it will be ported saw races with multiple sizes and sanctions so it becomes competative. This would take chainsaws and porting to the next level. I know there are some payoffs for getting this big and commercialized but there are some big benifits also. I feel having the ability to meet with the Stihl, Husky, Dolmar, and other main manufacters in person to vioce your concerns and wanted improvements would be awesome.

Plenty of races like this around the country. It's a whole other ball game though.

Count me out on any clamshell build. If I'm going to build a saw, it would have to be something I'm actually interested in and might keep.

Back