Poll: Yea or Nay on the flippy caps

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yea or Nay on flippy caps if you had a choice

• Total voters
I've never had any problems with them. That being said, I have a scrench handy anytime I'm filling the saws. I'll usually touch up the chain after each tank. It gives me a break, and keeps the chain from getting bad enough to have to spend too much time on it. :smile2:

So far...don't like um. I only have one saw with um, 210c. I broke the oil cap opening it, my fault maybe. One thing I do know for sure, I never had a spring fly out of any old Stihls I own when I gas'ed and oiled them up.

The flippy caps to my mind should work like my SLR camera's bayonet lens mount, and I've never had an issue with my cameras. The flippy cap is sometimes hit and miss. Until they get them working flawlessly I prefer the caps on my Dolmars or an old 020T I had. Its my preference though, and not a deal breaker one way or the other.

I agree with some other posts here that maybe they should have been left to the homeowner line-up... I mean, you don't see the tool-less chain adjusters on the whole pro line-up do you?

You forgot the fourth option, "neither. Stihl couldn't poor piss out of a boot with instructions on the heel, nor engineer a fuel cap worth a damn."

:msp_thumbup:

Hmmmm Well if thats so.... Stihl the Number 1 best selling and most widely used chainsaw in the world......

Maybe we should find some boots that they could design.... then maybe the boots would not hurt your feet and could be number 1 best selling boot in the world :hmm3grin2orange:

Stihl being number 1 in sales has much to do with their agressive marketing as well as them having a very extensive dealer network. They make a good product but their quality has slipped as of late. I think the flippy caps are junk and will never own another of their products with that stupid cap.

I've had both, the flippy caps are nice but the plastic around them breaks too easily. My 460 and the 2 460s the saw mill supplied us all have flippies and all have chips off the plastic. My J'reds, Homelite, 034 and my buddy's 029 all have screw caps and all work fine.

I had many saws with both styles, still do, truthfully I prefer the flippy caps, I can count the times I've had gas or oil run down my leg on one hand out of literally hundreds is not more than a thousand fills.
I have busted one flippy cap, which was my fault. I've never had one leak either on a saw or trimmer. I've had guys literally break/crack the screw in caps on the old style screw in type caps by over tightening them with the sqrench. I've also had them tightened so dang tight they were almost impossible to unscrew, had the screw slot buggered almost beyond use. The little shallow ones on the 346 are the worst if they are overtightened by some ape. I like the fact I don't always have to have a sqrench with the fuel jug. I've adapted, will use either one, but prefer the flippys.

The problem is there is no adjustment after repetitive usage (unlike threaded caps). So throw in a little engine vibration along with a high usage flippy cap saw and...:msp_mad:

LOL long live the flippy cap threads Ahahahahaha.:biggrin:

You knew it was coming.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/q4hIVaXlaw4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BTW the caps on that line of trimmers was recalled, I guess a few Stihl engineers and lawyers liked my vid.:hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

attachment.php

I had many saws with both styles, still do, truthfully I prefer the flippy caps, I can count the times I've had gas or oil run down my leg on one hand out of literally hundreds is not more than a thousand fills.
I have busted one flippy cap, which was my fault. I've never had one leak either on a saw or trimmer. I've had guys literally break/crack the screw in caps on the old style screw in type caps by over tightening them with the sqrench. I've also had them tightened so dang tight they were almost impossible to unscrew, had the screw slot buggered almost beyond use. The little shallow ones on the 346 are the worst if they are overtightened by some ape. I like the fact I don't always have to have a scrench with the fuel jug. I've adapted, will use either one, but prefer the flippys.

My screw caps have never failed me. When they start to wear, you have plenty of warning, and plenty of time to replace them before they fail. On the rare occasion I use a scrench, that is not a problem since I carry one with me at all times - coz.. well, I am using a chainsaw. I guess if you carry a spare sprocket with you, perhaps ya have less room for a scrench? ;)

I have had fairly new flippy caps fail on me. All in all, I have had about 4-5 caps fail on me. This, though I can count it on one hand, is exactly one hand more worth of counting than my non flippys have failed on me. The worst one was on a pole saw. Ugh! When they fail, your saw is suffering a catastrophic failure. The machine is down until the problem is repaired - whether with a new cap or by shoving a rag in there. Now you are in to it for the cost of the repair, the cost of the fuel or oil it just dropped everywhere, and the down time for the saw. This is utterly inexcusable for such a 'simple' item. Filler caps should never have catastrophic failures, and should never have to be recalled. It stuns me how patient folks are with this issue. It is an issue that should never occur, and never does for me since I do not, and will not own a flippy cap saw. Eventually Stiihl will abandon them when they come to their senses, or get tired of recalls, or professionals telling them they have better things to worry about than a filler cap failing them. Flippy caps are the epitome of the saying - 'over-engineered'. It is an answer to a question that never existed.

Update from StihL USA

I sent a complaint into Stihl, here is the response.

Mr. XXXXXXX,

We are in receipt of and thank you for your email and comments.

Best regards,
Bob Myers
Technical Support and Customer Support Lead
---------------------------------------------------------
STIHL INCORPORATED
536 Viking Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23452-7391
Phone: (757) 498-7599
Fax: (800) 784-8576
E-Mail: [email protected]
Internet: STIHL – The Number One Selling Brand of Chain Saws – Outdoor Power Tools - Locate an Independent STIHL Dealer

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2011 5:17 PM
To: US/SCC-cs Customer Service; [email protected]
Subject: STIHL Web Site E-mail - Product Complaint

This e-mail is from.

Subject: Product Complaint
Name:
Address1:
Address2:
City: Onalaska
State: Wisconsin
Zip: 54650
Phone Number:

Where Did You Hear About Us: Web site link

Comments: I have owned a Stihl 028 Super chainsaw and Stihl straight
shaft brushcutter for over 20 years.

I have recently bought 2 new chainsaws recently, a Makita 6401 and
Husqvarna 346Xp. I wouldn't even consider a Stihl because I detest the
"flippy caps" so much. In my opinion the flippy caps were a solution to
a problem that wouldn't exhist.

Can you make your pro line saws without this worthless feature? As long
as you continue with these caps, I will not consider a Stihl.

Thanks,

Does STIHL have permission to publish your comments?: Yes, in the
scrapbook and in other forms of media.

If you are not the legitimate recipient, please send the e-mail back and delete it
on your system. Any unauthorized use or transfer of confidential information
may have legal consequences.

Update from StihL USA

I sent a complaint into Stihl, here is the response.

Mr. XXXXXXX,

We are in receipt of and thank you for your email and comments.

Best regards,
Bob Myers
Technical Support and Customer Support Lead
STIHL INCORPORATED
536 Viking Drive
Virginia Beach, VA 23452-7391
Phone: (757) 498-7599
Fax: (800) 784-8576
E-Mail: [email protected]
Internet: STIHL – The Number One Selling Brand of Chain Saws – Outdoor Power Tools - Locate an Independent STIHL Dealer

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Sunday, December 18, 2011 5:17 PM
To: US/SCC-cs Customer Service; [email protected]
Subject: STIHL Web Site E-mail - Product Complaint

This e-mail is from.

Subject: Product Complaint
Name:
Address1:
Address2:
City: Onalaska
State: Wisconsin
Zip: 54650
Phone Number:

Where Did You Hear About Us: Web site link

Comments: I have owned a Stihl 028 Super chainsaw and Stihl straight
shaft brushcutter for over 20 years.

I have recently bought 2 new chainsaws recently, a Makita 6401 and
Husqvarna 346Xp. I wouldn't even consider a Stihl because I detest the
"flippy caps" so much. In my opinion the flippy caps were a solution to
a problem that wouldn't exhist.

Can you make your pro line saws without this worthless feature? As long
as you continue with these caps, I will not consider a Stihl.

Thanks,

Does STIHL have permission to publish your comments?: Yes, in the
scrapbook and in other forms of media.

If you are not the legitimate recipient, please send the e-mail back and delete it
on your system. Any unauthorized use or transfer of confidential information
may have legal consequences.

What did you want them to say. Stick with your Chinesse Crap Makita and your Husky. Stihl doesn't need your business anyways. Someone who cannot figure out how to use the dreaded fipply cap has no business owning let alone running a real chainsaw

What did you want them to say. Stick with your Chinesse Crap Makita and your Husky. Stihl doesn't need your business anyways. Someone who cannot figure out how to use the dreaded fipply cap has no business owning let alone running a real chainsaw

Mr. Dumass,

Don't let your steamship mouth overun your rowboat a$$.

Makita saws are made by Dolmar.

Dolmar is located in Germany.

If Husky is "crap", can I have your Husky 372XP? You said it's junk, you might as well get rid of it right? :msp_tongue:

My favorite cap is the one that came with the old 029 super. It was orange and black and had a nice place for your thumb for extra leverage.
Were those a limited edition only for that model? I've only ever seen them once and they looked like a pretty slick idea. I can't imagine having a problem with those.

So my take on this discussion is that:

1. Screw caps always work, but it's easy to over tighten.

2. Flippy caps usually work, but sometimes there are defects that cause them to leak or not tighten correctly even if new.

3. Sometimes flippy caps get damaged by trying to force them in.

I've never had any trouble with them, but it seems others do. While some posts seem to allude to questioning the intelligence of the people with problems, this doesn't always seem to be the case. I would dare say, that most of the people here, are fairly intelligent, and care enough to want to properly maintain their saws.

Maybe Stihl needs to check their design or make some sort of adapter.

What saws do people seem to have the most trouble with?

Back