Poplar?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sorry guy's, tried to upload pic from cl. now can't delete thread.

Well, we need to make this the most popular thread ever then!!! Popular poplar!

I love me some nice clean big poplar logs, cuts easy, splits wonderful, good for mild season use.

Blah blah politics, all the XXXXanarats fault!

I like ketchup on home fries!

sks rules, ar and ak drools! Pay more for scary looking bling!

Fiskars is SO the most split for the buck!

My pick of saws is the bestus!

bwahaha, next guy!

I got to split some poplar this year with a maul. It was the first time contemplating the ease of its split. My cousin showed me how to lay them down perpendicular to another log we had down and splitting them in a golf swing fashion. It was soo easy never lifted the maul above shoulder height. Loved it. :cool2:

I consider poplar to be a prize. Yes, it may be half the weight and btus of a oak log, but darn it';s just so easy. It is so nice to have for lighting a fire quick, and it's so easy to split. I had some this year again and I think I just used the last splt.:(

Each to their own. I would use it if I had to cut some, but I think its a waste of my energy to cut, haul and split. When its green it weights about as much as oak. Yes it splits nice, cardboard is easy to process to throw in the stove too. With Poplar, 2 hours and its gone up in smoke. Someone brings it to me all cut, split and stacked I' ll burn it, but I am not wasting my energy messing with it if I have other good choices for firewood, and around my neck of the woods I have better choices for firewood. I think I am biased because I have an OWB. I could not load enough poplar into my stove to even give me a six hour burn time. With longer burning, higher Btu firewood I get 12. If I had an inside wood burner and I were there to tend it, then I would probably sing a different tune. I could see where a quick fire in the spring or fall with poplar would work out fine for that. Just not my situation. Enjoy your poplar. I'll leave it in the woods for ya:)

Each to their own. I would use it if I had to cut some, but I think its a waste of my energy to cut, haul and split. When its green it weights about as much as oak. Yes it splits nice, cardboard is easy to process to throw in the stove too. With Poplar, 2 hours and its gone up in smoke. Someone brings it to me all cut, split and stacked I' ll burn it, but I am not wasting my energy messing with it if I have other good choices for firewood, and around my neck of the woods I have better choices for firewood. I think I am biased because I have an OWB. I could not load enough poplar into my stove to even give me a six hour burn time. With longer burning, higher Btu firewood I get 12. If I had an inside wood burner and I were there to tend it, then I would probably sing a different tune. I could see where a quick fire in the spring or fall with poplar would work out fine for that. Just not my situation. Enjoy your poplar. I'll leave it in the woods for ya:)
I rarely throw in more than one split, unless it's not very cold and I just want something to take the edge off. It's great for getting a fire going, or if it's too coaled up and I want to get secondary combustion going again then adding a poplar split will do the trick. I burn it all, it's just a matter of knowing the use.

Ok, It has it place in the scheme of things, I just do not go looking for Poplar. Not to sound ungrateful for the wood we have, especially in the North East. I am sure there are places that they would feel mighty blessed to have yellow poplar to burn. I am spoiled.

WOW. didn't think a failed ??????? could have this kind of response. The deal was, free wood on cl. I replied asking if it was pine or hardwood. He sent me a pic of a dead tree down. Easy access, easy cutting. The pic was not good, a bit far away, and the bark looked a lot like poplar. I did not want to take the plow off the truck, drive 15 min, see that its poplar and not take it. I am not good with poplar, Identification with only bark.( how do you spell I.D. ing?)

WOW. didn't think a failed ??????? could have this kind of response. The deal was, free wood on cl. I replied asking if it was pine or hardwood. He sent me a pic of a dead tree down. Easy access, easy cutting. The pic was not good, a bit far away, and the bark looked a lot like poplar. I did not want to take the plow off the truck, drive 15 min, see that its poplar and not take it. I am not good with poplar, Identification with only bark.( how do you spell I.D. ing?)

Well, here is a question. Never owned a plow on a truck, so wondering why you need to take it off just to go drive 15 minutes away?

Anyway, I could burn all 100% oak or hickory, but I take it all, all the species here. I got to touch it, I use it. Heck, I even burn some willow now and then. I prefer ash over oak and hickory,(almost as good and just loads easier to process, start to finish) but we dont have all that much of it and Ill wait until the EAB gets here, although I did take two nice ones this summer. One was just seriously in the way where I cross the creek, plus had the top blown off from lightning I guess, and another was in the way of a dead tree that had to come down.

I burn, and most likely will leave some species out, quick list, ash, beech, some sort of birch, river birch??, boxelder, some cedar not much, cherry, dogwood, elm, hickory, maple, oak, pine, poplar, big privet, sweetgum, sugar berry, sycamore, willow.

Then theres this stuff grows in clumps along the creek, dang if I know what it is, burns great, wood looks like oak but it has catkins on it.

anyway, close by, FreeTU brand wood, Id snag it if I was scrounging.

If it was in my yard down, I would process it. I am many years ahead on wood, so I can be very picky. To me if its poplar, its not worth the diesel, time, or freezing to get it. I my stop by in the company truck on Monday, see if its still there and poplar or not. For low btu wood, I'll stick with cherry and red maple.

I have learned to love Popple. It's like Cottonwood without the cussing.

I end up with a lot of both when thinning the woodlot and ditchbanks, because they grow so quick, and I wont throw any of it away.
Just Buck it up and stack the rounds right there in the woodlot. The bottom row will get punky if left for a year, but after 3-4 months the bark slips and it weighs half of what it did green and is ready to split. No point in taking up room in the process area with it.

Popple burns hot enough to get Shagbark and Locust going during cold blasts like we just had, and saves the Red Oak for when it's not as dadgum cold.

#MolanLabe

Stay safe!
Dingeryote

I just took 2 poplars down this week. Ended up with about a cord total. I love the stuff. I use it to either get the fire started, or to kick it back up when I get home from work. I will always do my best to keep some of it on hand. jus sayin

I burn 2-3 cord of poplar(full cord) per years. I do not have much high quality firewood on my land, the best being red maple and yellow birtch. Poplar and aspen are great for fall and late winter wood but also OK when you have time to load them in the stove. I normally feed low quality wood in the evening and add maple and birtch for daytime and nighttime.
I do let poplar or aspen season very long. I'm a actually cutting it now, hauling, bucking, splitting and stacked. If it stacked with cover just on top by the end of june it does good wood for the fall.

And for me its free:msp_smile:

Well, we need to make this the most popular thread ever then!!! Popular poplar!

I love me some nice clean big poplar logs, cuts easy, splits wonderful, good for mild season use.
Disagree, I leave it lay in the woods, or at most roll it out of the way to get at the oak

Blah blah politics, all the XXXXanarats fault! Agree totally, great point, I'll rep you for this.

I like ketchup on home fries! Disagree with extreme prejudice. From personal experience, tomato farmers exploit farm country youth.

sks rules, ar and ak drools! Pay more for scary looking bling! Don't have experience with any of these, but I support your right to have an opinion.

Fiskars is SO the most split for the buck! I agree, makes splitting almost as fun as cutting.

My pick of saws is the bestus! Probably is, but I think mine is even better-ish.

bwahaha, next guy!

Imagine it, Done!

If it was in my yard down, I would process it. I am many years ahead on wood, so I can be very picky. To me if its poplar, its not worth the diesel, time, or freezing to get it. I my stop by in the company truck on Monday, see if its still there and poplar or not. For low btu wood, I'll stick with cherry and red maple.
You can always tell it - the core of the wood is green tinted.

Latest posts

Back