popular is it worth the effort

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Poplar burns hot & fast as others have said. Try to leave the rounds/splits large as possible as it helps the length of burn.

Thing is, cottonwood and poplar are two different species. I've also noticed that cottonwood quality varies from tree to tree and from within the same tree. It's a mixed bag.

Tulip Poplar isn't a poplar, it's a Magnolia. The name makes it confusing.

popular is it worth the effort

It IS to me,

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

standard.jpg

SR

While we are on talking poplar -- I got ahold of four or five 25"+ diameter yellow poplar logs about 12 feet long last year. I was hurting for wood at the time so I happily took it, knowing it isn't exactly the cream of the crop. I have been burning it without any issues so far this year, but I have noticed that no matter how I run my stove I get TONS of fine, powdery ash from it. I would say I am getting about a 5 gallon pail of ashes every two weeks, whereas I usually get a gallon or so every two weeks when burning other hardwoods (oak, ash, walnut, etc.). Has anyone else ever noticed the same thing?

While we are on talking poplar -- I got ahold of four or five 25"+ diameter yellow poplar logs about 12 feet long last year. I was hurting for wood at the time so I happily took it, knowing it isn't exactly the cream of the crop. I have been burning it without any issues so far this year, but I have noticed that no matter how I run my stove I get TONS of fine, powdery ash from it. I would say I am getting about a 5 gallon pail of ashes every two weeks, whereas I usually get a gallon or so every two weeks when burning other hardwoods (oak, ash, walnut, etc.). Has anyone else ever noticed the same thing?
Yes,you'll get plenty of ashes when burning poplar.I always thought it was because I burned much more poplar than maple or ash to get the amount of heat I wanted.

You will likely get more ashes because it takes more volume of poplar to generate the same amount of heat. It has less density. However, you may notice that you get fewer cinders that don't burn all the way down. That's been my case with cottonwood, elm, and willow.

Yes,you'll get plenty of ashes when burning poplar.I always thought it was because I burned much more poplar than maple or ash to get the amount of heat I wanted.

You will likely get more ashes because it takes more volume of poplar to generate the same amount of heat. It has less density. However, you may notice that you get fewer cinders that don't burn all the way down. That's been my case with cottonwood, elm, and willow.

Both good points. I can see where that would make sense. However, in my particular case I haven't really been burning any more or less wood. Just a stove full each evening just like I do with any other type of wood. The cinders comment is definitely accurate. I notice lots of leftover pieces that I have to really keep stirred up in order to burn them all the way down. Just something I was curious about, thanks for the info guys.

My opinion is that I would take it if I didn't have any other options. It's better than having an empty stove. Having said that, it's probably my least favorite wood. It burns as quick as pine, it sparks and pops like crazy, but worst of all, it stinks when it burns. Personally, I hate it, but if you can't get anything else and it's free, I guess beggars can't be choosers.

I was always told "what's popular isn't always right and what's right isn't alway popular! "

Regarding Poplar... if you have access to better wood then I wouldn't waste my time. If that's all you got then burn it with a smile!

Back