Portable wood rack

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hedge

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I was splitting the other day and got to thinking what a deal it would be if I had a metal wood rack that would hold about half a cord and could be picked up with a set of pallet forks. That way the wood would be stacked and yet mobile. Sure would eliminate handling the wood so dang many times. Has anyone ever tried this and/or had any luck doing this...?:cheers:

One of the guys at work fabricated a motorcycle lift out of black pipe, welded at the fixtures, to lift the Harley up so he could work on it. Perhaps you could make one in a stretched out "U" shape with wheels for moving it. Grainger or Northern Tool should have a nice selection of casters/wheels you could use.

when you say pallet forks, meaning pallet jack for use on concrete warehouse floors? or pallet forks on a bobcat or tractor loader?

farmshow paper had some pics of several ideas:
1. a pallet with fold up 2x4's on each side. The pivot bolt location was down low such that the 2x4's tipped up to hold wood, tipped down and the pallets all stacked up flat, only 6 inches high each
2. Steel frames, of tubing just U shaped, about 4 ft wide, 6 ft tall.
3. Sections of corrugated steel culvert pipe about 4 to 6 ft diamter, 4 ft long. Stacked full easily, kept rain off, and moved with pallet forks on the loader tractor.

pic posting

Iam going to try the pic posting thing, Ive made two different versions of the pallet racks, The older I get the more I use the brain instead of the back, The old method of handling the wood 3/4 times before you toss it in the stove is to much work for a guy with worn out joints, I set a 4x4x4 rack right at the end of the spliter, and stack it full, with an extra helper it never hits the ground, once the rack is full, it goes to storage for next season, and when its dry enough to burn , I shuttle it to the stove, real easy instead of all the extra handling,, I need to build a jig so the racks are a quick build.

kevin j
when you say pallet forks, meaning pallet jack for use on concrete warehouse floors? or pallet forks on a bobcat or tractor loader?

Awe.. I should've clarified that..:dizzy: I have a neighbor that has a S-300 Bobcat that I figure should be able to pick up a 4x4x4 of wood. I am guessing that much wood would weigh in the neighborhood of 3000lbs. He loads pallets of seed in the spring that weigh like 3000lbs..

I have 10 steel tube racks that my buddy GAVE me. They are heavy duty steel galvanized pipe, and have heavy angle-iron legs on them to keep them up for forks to go underneath. They weigh 100+ lbs each. They're like 4 foot square, but 30 inches deep, so I put 2 rows in them, and its exactely a face cord. They work great for making ends of piles, and everything.
They'd probabely cost $150 in steel alone to build today!

Back