Ported 660: 93 Octane vs 110 Racing Fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ron660

Ron660

Addicted to ArboristSite
The test was a ported 660 with two different octanes (93 non-E and 110 Sunoco Racing Fuel). The wood was a Willow Oak (locally called a Pin Oak). The tree had been down for several months and was very dry. We couldn't split it with a hand maul. The 110 was an average of 10% faster.

Attachments

• Stihl 660 - 93 Octane.zip
    647.6 KB · Views: 40
  • Stihl 660 - 110 Octane.zip
    587.8 KB · Views: 32
Ron660

Ron660

Addicted to ArboristSite
did you retune the saw?
No retune. I ran the 93 first and then the 110. After removing all the 93 and adding the 110, the saw idled fine with the 110. I could check it with a tach next time (idle and "H"). Next time I'll upload my videos from youtube as my friend suggested. Both fuels were mixed at a ratio of 32:1 using Motul 800 offroad oil. I was using a new Stihl square chisel full skip chain on a 28" bar.
I checked the times again with a stop watch. The average I got was a 9.3% faster cutting speed with the 110.

CTYank

CTYank

Peripatetic Sawyer
No retune. I ran the 93 first and then the 110. After removing all the 93 and adding the 110, the saw idled fine with the 110. I could check it with a tach next time (idle and "H"). Next time I'll upload my videos from youtube as my friend suggested. Both fuels were mixed at a ratio of 32:1 using Motul 800 offroad oil. I was using a new Stihl square chisel full skip chain on a 28" bar.
I checked the times again with a stop watch. The average I got was a 9.3% faster cutting speed with the 110.

Any idea of how much compression? Even a gauge reading would be helpful. Only reason I ask is that higher octane becomes more useful as compression ratio goes up.

redfin

redfin

Fish & Chips!!!
Race gas tunes ENTIRELY different that pump gas. There's no way that you can compare these fuels without properly tuning for each fuel. If it ran well on race gas, it was likely way
lean on pump gas.

Is the viscocity different between these two?

KG441c

KG441c

Keith
It's a molecular difference and the way it flows. Without proper tuning, this test tells nothing. I'm not trying to be hateful, just stating the facts.
Brad the saw in his video seemed higher rpm and leaner with the 110. Ive gotten confused with this octane thing! long stroke vs short stroke vs slow vs fast burn?????

MustangMike
Keith, they may be different quality of fuels. People are assuming that higher octane burns more slowly. That is NOT what it means. It ignites at a higher temperature, and my burn faster, slower, or the same.

It is also possible (for whatever reason, like a hot day) that is saw was experiencing some minor pre ignition with the lower octane, although that is not likely.

This is why racers test everything. You use what works, even if you can't figure out why (although there usually is an answer).