Ported 660: 93 Octane vs 110 Racing Fuel

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'd need a dyno run to buy it Ron. Too many variables in a chunk of wood to call this a "for sure" test.

Just knowing what I do about the energy that is in each fuel I'd say the lowest octane you can run without detonation is gonna make the most power.

Scott D has a bunch of saws I've built......his dad sells racing fuel. Scott loves the stuff. My saws, ported the same, always cut faster than his.

I use 87, he uses 110.

Nice running saw though. :D

Over about 104, it's either oxygenated or leaded
I guess its leaded then. Both the blue/ purple versions 110 of sunoco and vp are non ethanol non oxygenated plain race gas. Im sure its leaded. The peformance center near me informed me not to run oxygenated unless the saw was used daily or the race guys that use it here will tear down motor and clean after race somost of them dont use oxygenated

Randy is right. I googled leaded race fuels. Probably one of the most dangerous substances to handle and subject yourself through absorption or vapor exposure there is!! Neurotoxin , Carcinogen, are only a few of the problems!

Even if it gave me a 9% gain, I wouldn't wanna breathe that stuff.
Randy is right. I googled leaded race fuels. Probably one of the most dangerous substances to handle and subject yourself through absorption or vapor exposure there is!! Neurotoxin , Carcinogen, are only a few of the problems!
Pussies. If there is even a chance that a toxic, expensive fuel can make something it was not designed for a few percentage points faster in a duty where that improvement will not really make that much difference, you pretty much gotta man up and do it. For example, I gutted the cats and run 110 leaded in my 2008 suburban. I'm sure it gets my kids to school 9% faster, and a seizure disorder is a small price to pay for that

Pussies. If there is even a chance that a toxic, expensive fuel can make something it was not designed for a few percentage points faster in a duty where that improvement will not really make that much difference, you pretty much gotta man up and do it. For example, I gutted the cats and run 110 leaded in my 2008 suburban. I'm sure it gets my kids to school 9% faster, and a seizure disorder is a small price to pay for that
Ya exposure limits would be a consideration especially say tuning saws in a shop over several years would probably be a problem?

Well then maybe I won't dyno that stuff. I have my dyno at the shop where I can drop a six inch exhaust hose that has a nice suction. I find it hard to capture all the exhaust especially on dual port mufflers. I might have to make a funnel that slips over more of the front of the saw.

Well then maybe I won't dyno that stuff. I have my dyno at the shop where I can drop a six inch exhaust hose that has a nice suction. I find it hard to capture all the exhaust especially on dual port mufflers. I might have to make a funnel that slips over more of the front of the saw.
I guess there is a reason they stopped producing lead fuel for public transportation and outlawed it in Europe?

I'd need a dyno run to buy it Ron. Too many variables in a chunk of wood to call this a "for sure" test.

Just knowing what I do about the energy that is in each fuel I'd say the lowest octane you can run without detonation is gonna make the most power.

Scott D has a bunch of saws I've built......his dad sells racing fuel. Scott loves the stuff. My saws, ported the same, always cut faster than his.

I use 87, he uses 110.

Randy, is the 87 you use right out of the tap, or is it non-ethanol? Everything (87)around here is E10 ( and they cheat it up to E??) I have been using 100LL Aviation Gas. I have to re-tune at first. I have sworn off E anything....and that's all we can get.

I use 87, he uses 110.

Randy I was surprised the 110 was faster also. I'll conduct more tests to prove or disprove the results. My hunting lease buddies were lining up to run that 660.

Regular gas is also harmful and contains carcinogens (BTEX). The "B" in that acronym is benzene...

I guess there is a reason they stopped producing lead fuel for public transportation and outlawed it in Europe?
In Europe the minimum is 95 octanes. All fuel is unleaded. You can chose betven 95 ,98 or100 octanes. Octanes are fuel resistanc to self ignition. Since 1988 we can't buy 87 octanes fuel. We dont have alcohol in fuel by now but I belive we will have it in future. In our country ( Croatia) alcohol fuel is used to power generators. You ca buy it on pump and I belive that nobady will do. All my 2 stroke engines run 95 wit stihl mix with no problem. I try 100 once and there wes no diference so I swtch to 65 again.

Until the 90's, that was the only fuel we used. Washed tons of parts in it while doing motor rebuilds.... and we didn't have half the problems we do now with gasoline burning equipment. Take your lips off the muffler... and now I need to take my meds to get me through today. H*ll, we even used used motor oil to lube the bar, everybody did.

Bunch of wimps.

Randy, is the 87 you use right out of the tap, or is it non-ethanol? Everything (87)around here is E10 ( and they cheat it up to E??) I have been using 100LL Aviation Gas. I have to re-tune at first. I have sworn off E anything....and that's all we can get.

I use non E 87 with 4 oz of H1R per gallon.

I'm not planning to try any other fuels.

We played the oil and fuel game pretty hard when we first started messing with saws. I've found little reason to mess with that since I started using Belray.

Latest posts

Back