Ported Husqvarna 345

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

farmguywithasaw

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
so I got this saw cheap as it had a stuck ring with no compression. So long story short I rebuilt it and ported it at the Sam time
Factory numbers
Exh duration 150
Intake 135
Transfers I forget atm but I didn’t do upper transfer work
My numbers when finished
Exh 166
Int 152

Now I think I went pretty aggressive on the timing especially on the exhaust.

So my question for you experts is it normal for a heavily ported saw to run lean at idle until it warms up. When the saw is cold and you first fire it. The idle is lean and the chain spins. I let it warm up for a min or two and make several cut with it then the idle comes down. I don’t believe it’s air leak but have not ruled it out entirely yet. Once warm it idles as it should and if I set it down it will idle the same until out of fuel.

It's normal for some saws to idle high when cold, half of mine do.
You went pretty high on the exhaust, on most 50cc or less saws 150 duration is where you want it.

I'm kinda looking for one of those 345's or anything from a 340-353 really.
It's pretty cheap to add a aftermarket 353 cylinder and then they rip. The oem 353 or 346 cylinder is better but not worth the cost to me.

I figured that this was normal to some degree, however my port work must make this show up more over stock. It seems to pull not too bad. Throttle response is very excellent. It’s running an 18” bar with .325 chain. I did some noodling with it to help break it in. I may make video today or tomorrow

To add as well. The 345 is a clam shell. 350 is sort of a clam shell/ regular cylinder hybrid. You can convert a 345 to a 350 you just need the 350 cylinder and adapter every else is the same I believe

Theres an updated intake with metal clamp, or you can carve the outside tabs of the plastic clamp off & fit a 372/385/390 metal clamp over it. I believe the clamp of a 660/066 also works that way

Back