Porting a 066BB

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seems to me they move anything that's off topic, political, firewood or joke related.
Why not the modded work saw and hot saw stuff?

Well, if this is the way you match your bottom transfer in for transfer flow, you have alot to learn.:shame: It's all about flow my friend!

1155765068_xUZvd-M.jpg
[/QUOTE]

They may have come along way, but they still look like alot of work! No big deal for a pro port grinder like you, plus you might make a few more bucks with the added grinding. The average guy might be better off avoiding this cylinder and go to the OEM. Are you going to have someone else build one also for a real comparison?

They have come along way!!! They are now a good reliable,lower cost way to rebuild a saw! Add talent like Brads to the mix and you cant miss. I have seen enough of his work to value his comments

Doesn't this belong in the "Modded Work Saw" forum?
Isn't that what it's for?

There's a real easy solution for this guys. If you don't like what I'm posting, then don't open the thread and read it. Yeah, that's right, it has nothing to do with the comment. Last I checked, this was a chainsaw I was working on, and BB kits are a common interest as well. You're just on another one your witch hunts.

I would appreciate it if a mod would clean up this thread. I'm trying to add valuable content to this forum, and this is the kind of crap it turns into. Can't blame this one on me!

There's nothing to be gained by taking this lower, due to the shape of the case. The cylinder is already out wider than the case.

1155788056_CK8L8-M.jpg

1155787812_bU8PQ-M.jpg

1155787921_DKmZW-M.jpg

wouldnt grinding a little off the cases help flow.... next time i have my 046bb apart, ill have to look at that area....
good work brad....
ps if you dont like the trolls stop responding theyll get sick of posting after a while.

I opened the front of my cage the same way on this 660 I have. It has a dual port and I also opened the stock outlet to about 3/4". Really gave it a punch and some wicked throttle response. Looks like to good work man!

I agree that the fight should be kept in the last thread you started. This crap is getting out of hand. I enjoy reading these build threads no matter who starts them and think they should stay where they are.

I can see it will probably get dirtied up with BS posts now so yea, moderation is needed here.

I won't be doing a popup on this saw, but if I were, there might be an issue here. It appears to me that the NiSi may not go to the top of the bore, by approxiamately .170". Subtract a squish of .020", and that's still .150". That will still have the rings riding onto this area .030". Hopefully this is simply unhone NiSi. I can feel no ridge whatsoever, so hopefully that's the case.

1155696295_RMC6J-M.jpg

I haven't tried to hone it, but from looking at the one I have. I believe it is unhoned NiSi. There is a very small ridge at the very top left from machining the squish band, it can be seen in the picture. You'll never get a ring up that far though.

Sounds good! Once again, these bb kits are a good option,especially with your touches. Get r in some wood!!!

I just picked up a 066 thats gonna need atleast a piston so i figured i would just go ahead and get the BB kit for it. Thanks for the pics and comments about the quality of the product and sharing about the port work you did. After seeing how little you could take off, i probably wont mess with trying to port mine and risk screwing it up. You saved me some time and trouble. Thanks, great thread!

I just picked up a 066 thats gonna need atleast a piston so i figured i would just go ahead and get the BB kit for it. Thanks for the pics and comments about the quality of the product and sharing about the port work you did. After seeing how little you could take off, i probably wont mess with trying to port mine and risk screwing it up. You saved me some time and trouble. Thanks, great thread!

That "little bit" will make a big difference! It's more than it looks like.

The factory exhaust outlet is tiny, mayby 3/8" at most.

1155841035_X662e-M.jpg

This "cage" was completely closed on the end. All exhaust has to go through the small holes on the sides. I opened up the cage so that it's a straight shot through.

1155841098_9opBD-M.jpg

1155841208_hX6HD-M.jpg

I then opened op the outlet as far as the deflector covers.

1155841275_omzWX-M.jpg

1155841339_iTCEi-M.jpg

I then added an additional port. This port wouldn't have been required for a work saw, but added it anyway. A spark arrestor screen can be added if need be.

1155841440_sto5Q-M.jpg

1155841539_BFxmF-M.jpg

would there be any benifit to drill the spotwelds off that box in middle and get rid of all together ? i did on my 036 it had that same box on aftermarket muffler helped a lot ,and does widening the ports that far sacrifice bottom end tourque pull ? seems the wider ports be more for top end ? i may be wrong trying learn a little myself here

Back