Porting a Chinese G621 Clone

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm south of Allentown on the Eastern end of the state. My saws are entertaining for me, but they're pretty dull compared to some of the new high tech equipment out there now!

Same here. Saws are my replacement for dirt bikes.....can split them apart on a table! (We are 2.5 hrs maybe 3 due north) Nothing hi tech about what I've been building! Scrambled together a 372 style saw out of Chinese aftermarket parts!

Had to dig way back to find this again, any update on this monster, how's it doing? How bout a video? I've also lost the thread on the 45cc to 58cc Earthquake.
It's running great, but thanks to the weather I have not had much opportunity to cut recently. I'm hoping to take off Friday and get some time to use it - I've only run maybe 3 tanks through it. It starts quickly - 2 or 3 pulls from cold. I have a 20' bar on it at the moment with freshly sharpened loop of semi-chisel.

I have never taken or posted a chainsaw video, nor do I have any online picture/video accounts - we'll see.

I have the converted 58 cc quake. I am waiting a on a 16" .325 bar and chain set up.

Just search Earthquake in the search box and you should find it.

BTW-Great thread here Chris.

It was time to make the saw work today - I needed to drop this mess:
IMG_0509-800.jpg
This was the tree I hung the kids swing in when we moved in, but the ash yellows have got to it and it's constantly dropping branches, some of them quite large. It's gonna trash a vehicle eventually. I took off some of those branches that I could, so as to shift the weight to the downhill side. Then I took this left one just to reduce the mass, as I could not be sure if there were vertical cracks between any of those different sections.
IMG_0511-800.jpg
It came down where I wanted it to:
IMG_0512-800.jpg
What a mes to clean up! I got to spend time with the 62cc clone on the bigger end:

Not going to win any races but I'm more than happy with it. This was round ground chisel as I had just dropped my square ground loop into the dirt on the cut before.

The video is not working... "This video is private" message
Thanks - let me see what's happening and try to fix it.

EDIT: I think it is fixed now. YouTube was not happy about my script blocker plugin and some of the settings didn't take.

It was time to make the saw work today - I needed to drop this mess:
View attachment 340763
This was the tree I hung the kids swing in when we moved in, but the ash yellows have got to it and it's constantly dropping branches, some of them quite large. It's gonna trash a vehicle eventually. I took off some of those branches that I could, so as to shift the weight to the downhill side. Then I took this left one just to reduce the mass, as I could not be sure if there were vertical cracks between any of those different sections.
View attachment 340764
It came down where I wanted it to:
View attachment 340766
What a mes to clean up! I got to spend time with the 62cc clone on the bigger end:

Not going to win any races but I'm more than happy with it. This was round ground chisel as I had just dropped my square ground loop into the dirt on the cut before.

looks like you lost the richmond bar and replaced it with a carlton. is it a husky pattern of mculloch? it looks like a 24" bar. what kind of chain? it's cutting very well.

ash loves to drop stuff. fire in the hole!

looks like you lost the richmond bar and replaced it with a carlton. is it a husky pattern of mculloch? it looks like a 24" bar. what kind of chain? it's cutting very well.

ash loves to drop stuff. fire in the hole!
That's a 24" Oregon Power Match bar with LGX. I still have the "Richmond" bar but have not gotten a loop to fit it yet. I will at some point as that bar is 84DL vs the 81DL on the Oregon bar, and it is about an inch longer. It's a D176 mount, which is the same as the my McCulloch SE3420 (PM065).

The ash yellows kills off the upper branches - the bottom of it looked healthy enough but parts of the top of it just exploded when it hit. I'm just going to make a fire down there or it will be hell to clean up.

Very nice!!! Thanks for the vid Chris-PA!

I have been following this thread and am truely bewildered by the arrogance of some members trying to dictate what may be accepted as a saw and what not...

That's a 24" Oregon Power Match bar with LGX. I still have the "Richmond" bar but have not gotten a loop to fit it yet. I will at some point as that bar is 84DL vs the 81DL on the Oregon bar, and it is about an inch longer. It's a D176 mount, which is the same as the my McCulloch SE3420 (PM065).

The ash yellows kills off the upper branches - the bottom of it looked healthy enough but parts of the top of it just exploded when it hit. I'm just going to make a fire down there or it will be hell to clean up.

the bar is a major gripe i have with this saw. a twenty inch oregon bar uses a 70 dl chain instead of the usual 72. that means if you use the saw on a job you need to have an extra loop in your tool box.

i've never heard of yellow ash, but have known ash trees to drop branches from high in the tree. we wrecked a dead monterey pine once where we had to cover the windows of the client's home with ply wood. the cones and wood went ballistic when they hit the ground.

the bar is a major gripe i have with this saw. a twenty inch oregon bar uses a 70 dl chain instead of the usual 72. that means if you use the saw on a job you need to have an extra loop in your tool box.

i've never heard of yellow ash, but have known ash trees to drop branches from high in the tree. we wrecked a dead monterey pine once where we had to cover the windows of the client's home with ply wood. the cones and wood went ballistic when they hit the ground.
Well the 70DL 20" version is standard with the older McCulloch PM6xx family and I have one of those, so for me it was OK. The major grip I had with this saw is that they sent a 0.063" bar (and loose at that) with an 0.058" chain! That's useless.

The tree was a white ash but had ash yellows disease, which is prevalent here: http://extension.umass.edu/landscape/fact-sheets/ash-yellows . It kills the upper canopy which falls all over, and this tree was right next to the driveway where we park.

Well the 70DL 20" version is standard with the older McCulloch PM6xx family and I have one of those, so for me it was OK. The major grip I had with this saw is that they sent a 0.063" bar (and loose at that) with an 0.058" chain!

agreed. i measured one with my $.36 chain gauge. the chain was interesting too in that it was ground to a 5/32" radius, cut ok though.

0974_bar_gauge.jpg

agreed. i measured one with my $.36 chain gauge. the chain was interesting too in that it was ground to a 5/32" radius, cut ok though.

View attachment 340898
Were you able to run the chain in that bar? For me it worked OK for a few minutes, but the bar oil got very dirty as the paint wore out of the groove. After that the chain just flopped over in the groove and cut nasty arcs. I have not tried it since.

I tried to get a loop of 0.063" chain at the local Stihl dealer, but they are just a hardware store and only have what is boxed up. I will likely order a loop of chain eventually - I want semi-chisel for it.

Were you able to run the chain in that bar? For me it worked OK for a few minutes, but the bar oil got very dirty as the paint wore out of the groove. After that the chain just flopped over in the groove and cut nasty arcs. I have not tried it since.

I tried to get a loop of 0.063" chain at the local Stihl dealer, but they are just a hardware store and only have what is boxed up. I will likely order a loop of chain eventually - I want semi-chisel for it.

i micked th drive links. they measured about .060. so maybe i got a compatible chain. i'll have a vid up soon. i keep my chain inventory restricted to 3/8 .050, 3/8 .050 lopro and .404 .063.

i micked th drive links. they measured about .060. so maybe i got a compatible chain. i'll have a vid up soon. i keep my chain inventory restricted to 3/8 .050, 3/8 .050 lopro and .404 .063.
Hmm. I used a calipers, but the chain was right on 0.058" and the bar groove was 0.075". I do have a micrometer so I'll have to measure the drive links more accurately.

Latest posts

Back