Porting tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ironworker

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I'm in the process of shopping for porting tools but after some research options are somewhat limited so I would like to know what you guys have or recommend as far as grinding tools, I have an idea on a lathe and will get one somewhere down the line after some practice with grinding and polishing. I've done a few already with my Dremel and so far I've been pleased but I'm ready to move on.

CC specialty tools!!! You will never be able to do a really ACCURATE job on the upper transfers without their 182MC right angle hand piece. I have been using a contra-angle dental grinder and deemed for the past 3 years and compared to the CC Specialty kit they SUCK! The dental grinder does ok but, they burn out to quick and are therefore uneconomical. I have only had the CC specialty kit for 3 weeks and I just feel like I have been hacking away cylinders for the past 3 years!:oops:

I bought their new all in one 50-150cc kit because I live in Australia and it was just easier to get it here and not have to source every thing individually. Supposedly, it's cheaper for you to buy everything individually over there and just get the 182MC Right angle and piece from CC Specialty.
Hope this helps?:D

I have over $100 invested in a very small handful of dremel bits... I have two black and decker dremels hooked up to an old sewing machine pedal (works great!... for soldering irons too)... I really need a right angle head piece though. I also got a chinese POS 1/8th" air powered rotary tool (54,000 rpm) and there is no chance in hell you can center the bit.. would be awesome to work with if it actually worked.

I have an eBay Foredom and use the cc right angle handpeice. Funny part is the cc handpeice cost more than the Foredom, pedal, and small package of bits.

Are foredom and cc compatible and does foredom have a right angle adaptor.
They are compatible. You'll have to go to CC for the right angle handpiece.

I'll also warn you this. The CC right angle does not make transfers easy. It just makes it possible. They're still the hardest part of a port job.

I think it comes down to your budget and how much porting you intend to do.
You can do a lot with a Dremel tool, opening up lower transfers, exhaust and intake ports, and case matching cylinder bases. If you already have a Dremel you can invest about $12 in some carbide burs and start porting.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=301583078096&globalID=EBAY-US

Some people use diamond cutoff wheels to get at the upper transfers. The Dremel right angle adapter is too big for these small cylinders. So if you want to monkey with port shape/timing on the transfers, your options all go up in price.

A foredom is like a more expensive Dremel, but gives you a torquier motor if you like grinding a lot out quickly, and foot pedal control. Foredom doesn't make a right angle adapter, that's where CC specialty tools come in. But they are expensive. If your pockets are deep enough they make a quality product for demanding grinding.

Dan Henry (DozerDan) uses old dental equipment, with a strong motor that connects to the drill via cables (pre flex-shaft technology) and he's done more port jobs than probably all the people in this thread combined. He says they work great: lots of torque and straight and right angle adapters are cheap. Finding the right bits for cheap is sometime a little hard though.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=131575865619&globalID=EBAY-US

I've seen others get the electric dental tools, for the benefit of right angle adapters. If you're only doing porting for yourself it would probably be fine, but if you were trying to run a business service these might not last forever.
http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.view&alt=web&id=271478878664&globalID=EBAY-US

Some people have tried air tools with a right angle pencil grinder, and while they don't get as hot as the electric or shaft driven right angle tools they tend to lack torque. But you can pick them up for about $100 if you have an air compressor.

And then of course most of the guys that do this have access to a lathe so they can cut the base and/or cut squish or a popup piston for more compression. You could also cut the case with a mill like Mattyo instead of cutting the cylinder. But lathes and mills add a few thousand to the bill, instead of just a few hundred.

Anybody try those made in China kits for about $100, I'm on board with Randy as far as quality over quantity, but probably not a bad idea to get started, and anyone know what size shank the bits are.

Latest posts

Back