Porting tools

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Anybody try those made in China kits for about $100, I'm on board with Randy as far as quality over quantity, but probably not a bad idea to get started, and anyone know what size shank the bits are.

Give us a link for reference.

My brother bought one of those Chinese ones.not good,the bits don't stay in it.the grinder parts seemed good,but the arbor was a piece of crap.

Sent from my XT1055 using Tapatalk

I'm still on a harbor freight motor. Been running ot for 3 years now. When it dies I'll get a reversible foredom. The cc 182 is worth it. The handpieces I got from srcarr are fine. I had one other cheap on fall apart on me..

Yes, it probably has a lot to do with how much you expect of the tool. If it's just grinding on 2 or 3 saws you have, it'll probably be fine. If you do your dad's/brother's/friend's too, you might start wishing you had something better. If you have 10-20 saws you'll probably have gotten your money out by the time it dies. If it's a side or full time business you're going to be making enough money you can afford to invest in proper tools that will stand up to the constant abuse. Hell, I think Randy has even worn out some of his CC / Foredom tools and needed to rebuild them. No tool lasts forever, not even a chainsaw. But generally the more money you spend the longer it should (you hope) last.

Yeah, I have my CC handpieces rebuilt after about a year. I've been through probably 4 Foredom motors. Dozens of flex shafts too. The H28 Foredom is a great straight handpiece, but they die after a year or so too. The Foredom handpieces can be rebuilt though.

Yeah, I have my CC handpieces rebuilt after about a year. I've been through probably 4 Foredom motors. Dozens of flex shafts too. The H28 Foredom is a great straight handpiece, but they die after a year or so too. The Foredom handpieces can be rebuilt though.
It will take me six life times to do a years worth of what you do so I should be fine.

Yea there's a bunch of used ones too, I'm just afraid that the newer pieces won't fit on some of the older models. How far back are the compatible.

As long as they aren't the square drive motor (heavy duty) and shaft, the CC and Foredom "regular duty" tools will work.

True, but neither uses the HD square shank tools. That they are interchangeable in that respect was my meaning. I have a reversible motor.......I rarely ever use reverse.

I use that motor for about everything. Probably ported 30-40 saws now with it. Best money I spent on the used 182 and that motor.

Latest posts

Back