Possible dumb question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

leecopland

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Myself and friends have noticed that on some cuts the chain doesn't want to cut if the bar is horizontal and the cut is near the saw (motor) but will cut fine if on an angle and cutting more toward the tip of the bar. To be more precise the far 1/3 of the bar/chain combo. Are we doing something wrong with either our blocking technique or our chain sharpening methods?

What chain are you using, on what saw (or rpm if you know it), new chain or how many times has it been sharpened, rakers adjusted, what wood are you having the problems with, what size are the chips on the ground, etc?

Additional, general, information is needed as there are lots of possible reasons.

Kinda sounds like you are holding your mouth wrong.
As you are cutting try chewing on your tongue on the other side of your mouth and let your brain go dead with no thinking all, stay focused.

This works really good if you are using one of them cheapo occasional use rated craftsman saws.

Worn bar is my guess, rails spreading up towards the power head and the chain rides up into it and binds the cut

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

Also the bar groove may need a good cleaning. Caked with oily crud causing the chain to ride up out of the groove.

If nothing seems to correct your issue or you cannot get a handle on it, replace the chain and SPROCKET first and if no go replace the bar. A new chain installed on a worn sprocket is not a good thing. (old sprocket will quickly ruin a new chain.
Make sure the gauge on your chain matches the bar groove, and check the bar's groove to see if it's worn. A chain that leans sideways in the cut can cause such.
You can review how to check a chainsaw chains gauge with a micrometer on-line.

When the chain gets dull enough so it does not really cut it is possible to get some more cutting using the nose. Doing so will of course mean more strokes with the file later or sending it out to get better performance. I have not really investigated this phenomenon for hard nose vs sprocket nose and various diameters of each.

This -

Sounds like your bar has a burr close to the powerhead. Flip it over or dress it and see if your problem goes away.

Run your thumb nail across the sides of the bar and likely you will hit a ridge at the edge. If so, dress the edges with a flat file and you will be back in business.

Ron

Myself and friends have noticed that on some cuts the chain doesn't want to cut if the bar is horizontal and the cut is near the saw (motor) but will cut fine if on an angle and cutting more toward the tip of the bar. To be more precise the far 1/3 of the bar/chain combo. Are we doing something wrong with either our blocking technique or our chain sharpening methods?

Your bar wears most where it catches the most friction; generally near the powerhead. The chain usually dulls the most on the right side due to generally being on the "downhill" side of the bar, especially stump cuts and dirt strikes. Between uneven bar wear and uneven chain dulling, you can end up with some interesting problems cutting wood. I usually just have a curving cut when the bar begins to wear unenvenly, but sometimes the chain just won't dig in and cut, no matter how sharp it feels. This is because the cut is so crooked from the uneven rails that the bar binds in it's own cut.

If you pull the bar out of the groove you are attempting to cut, and you can clear up the cut with just the tip of the bar, does the saw go on to cut another inch or two before slowing down in the cut? If so, this is almost certainly a badly worn bar. The rails can be taller on one side, or the groove can be worn too wide or allow too much lean. Either way, the bar is messing up your cut and needs to be serviced or replaced.

Sounds like your bar has a burr close to the powerhead. Flip it over or dress it and see if your problem goes away.

Flipping might help, but doesn't usually correct the problem. Most guys accidentally flip the bar often enough to keep the wear somewhat equal without even knowing it's usefulness.

Worn bar is my guess, rails spreading up towards the power head and the chain rides up into it and binds the cut

Sent from my LM-G820 using Tapatalk

I think we may have a winner! You didn't offer any solutions though.

This -

Run your thumb nail across the sides of the bar and likely you will hit a ridge at the edge. If so, dress the edges with a flat file and you will be back in business.

Ron

Well... maybe. If you know how to do all the necessary filing. Knock off the burr so that there is no extrusion of burnished steel anywhere on the sides of the bar. Then file the rails flat so that each side of the groove is equally tall. You can generally spot unevenly worn rails by trying to stand the bar vertically on a very flat hard surface. If the bar won't stay standing, you need to fix it!

Something no one has mentioned: when a chain runs on a badly worn bar, the heels of each cutter will wear much more on the outside, conforming to the wear pattern on the bar. This is a really poor cutting condition, and there is no solution except to fix or repair the rail (give it square rails and a proper width) and to replace the worn out chain... no matter how new it might seem. I know of no method to repair worn out heels on a chain.

1603942685163.png

There are other reasons as well; but the OP does not seem to want to put more information out there, and adds a goofy comment about not cutting but making chips.

If we go based on the simplest answer from the provided information: cutting with a worn out low profile chain on wood that is too wet or too hard, and possibly too large for that small a chain. The alternative simplest is a poor sharpening job.

We are leaving out the backwards chain on this one.

There are other reasons as well; but the OP does not seem to want to put more information out there, and adds a goofy comment about not cutting but making chips.

If we go based on the simplest answer from the provided information: cutting with a worn out low profile chain on wood that is too wet or too hard, and possibly too large for that small a chain. The alternative simplest is a poor sharpening job.

We are leaving out the backwards chain on this one.
Thank you for leaving that out.

Back