Possible dumb question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thank you everyone, for your helpful suggestions and possible solutions. I will work through many of these to move towards an answer to my question and I will share the answers with my cutting buddies. Best regards, Lee

If we are just tossing around possibilities as opposed to probabilities, then you can add a worn groove in the lower regions of the bar which will allow the chain to lean to one side despite even height rails and a tight upper groove. Usually caused by long use with one or more of the usual visible suspects not corrected. A new bar and chain will fix that situation.
Ron

If we are just tossing around possibilities as opposed to probabilities, then you can add a worn groove in the lower regions of the bar which will allow the chain to lean to one side despite even height rails and a tight upper groove. Usually caused by long use with one or more of the usual visible suspects not corrected. A new bar and chain will fix that situation.
Ron
Or he could just put up some pics.....

Nah. Just think about what a dummy you were when you started using saws.

...or were you one of the fortunate few that had a father/mentor/employer to teach you all the ins & outs? Myself, I had to learn everything from scratch. No help from anyone, and I made plenty of mistakes, too.

I do recall that it didn't take me long to learn that a dull saw sucks when you are cutting willow stumps in a wet ditch. That was in 1983. I could do that whole job now in about 1/4th of the time, just by the improvements in my saw maintenance knowledge.

Knowledge is power. Share that power! You don't have any less even when you give it all away.

Sending pics is complicated as there were three of use blocking on that day and using five different saws,but I appreciate the feedback and will look at all of the recommendations.
I had your initial post problem a week ago.

My issue? Well it was a newly sharpened chain and less than 3 months old, no bar problems, no oiler problems.

I was cutting water source saturated cottonwood that was about 3' across. After about a few cuts I'd have to run the saw out of a cut to re-oil the bar and chain, this is with the oiler maxed. The water saturation was pretty insane, it was pouring out of the cuts and when a round was hit with a splitting maul the water would pool with about 1/2 cup running off the round on each stroke.

There was just so much water that the bar oil couldn't stay on, I may as well have been cutting underwater.

Not enough information to identify a problem is always not enough information, everything beyond that is a guess. For all we know you could have been cutting through fence wire, but that information is not here.

All I can tell you is that closer to the power head the mechanical advantage is higher as your lever is shorter = more chain pressure on your bar. The farther out the less chain pressure you have between the chain and the bar.

Perhaps you are simply cutting fruit/hardwood and trying to use pressure to cut rather than letting the chain do its job? Again, another guess.

Sending pics is complicated as there were three of use blocking on that day and using five different saws,but I appreciate the feedback and will look at all of the recommendations.

Sometimes the answer isn't easy, and no amount of advice helps.

Last summer I had a 30" bar on my 066, and I'll be damned if I could identify why it wouldn't cut right. I consider myself completely expert on bars & chains, and have been wearing them all out and fixing them commercially since 1983. This one had me beat, though. :dumb2:

So don't feel too bad about any problems you have trouble with. It's an imperfect world, and nobody has it truly mastered. If you don't have any problems, then you must have quit living.

I had your initial post problem a week ago.

My issue? Well it was a newly sharpened chain and less than 3 months old, no bar problems, no oiler problems.

I was cutting water source saturated cottonwood that was about 3' across. After about a few cuts I'd have to run the saw out of a cut to re-oil the bar and chain, this is with the oiler maxed. The water saturation was pretty insane, it was pouring out of the cuts and when a round was hit with a splitting maul the water would pool with about 1/2 cup running off the round on each stroke.

There was just so much water that the bar oil couldn't stay on, I may as well have been cutting underwater.

Not enough information to identify a problem is always not enough information, everything beyond that is a guess. For all we know you could have been cutting through fence wire, but that information is not here.

All I can tell you is that closer to the power head the mechanical advantage is higher as your lever is shorter = more chain pressure on your bar. The farther out the less chain pressure you have between the chain and the bar.

Perhaps you are simply cutting fruit/hardwood and trying to use pressure to cut rather than letting the chain do its job? Again, another guess.

I have done several water tree removals and chainsaws cut just fine underwater as long as you don’t drown the powerhead. Been there and done that too. Aint nothing like running a chainsaw in a bathing suit, tevas, neck deep in a lake. The cotton wood probably had a bunch of sand in it. Trees that grow near water often have a lot of sand it them just like leeks or you were using a water soluble lubricant.

To the OP. Be careful when inspecting the bar. Gloves are recommended. If it is worn or has a burr it can cut you wicked. Ask me how I know this.

Back