post a pic of your wood burner in use...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Most? of the wood burners here seem to be non-capacitive. Apologize if I use the wrong term, I'm not native English. In the TV they show also documentary from
Alaska and there also most of the fire places are sheetmetal or cast iron,
non-capacitive. With that I mean that you have to burn constantly wood to keep
the heat up. Or have I misunderstood?
We use capacitive burners, one of my burners is 80cm diameter (32") and 220cm
tall (almost 90") and the flue gas go first up and then turn around and come down
and finally exit below the grate. The burner is made at site with fire resitant and normal bricks and weight a lot. I burn birch and the whole thing gets hot and it
stays like that for about a day. It has been quite cold here, below -20C.
Juha
Finland
IMG_4245.jpg

That is an interesting term to describe that - but it makes sense to me.
Based on the ones I have seen/used, you are correct. The majority have to keep burning wood.

Does the extra flue length on yours make it difficult to clean?
It looks neat!

I have seen pictures of splitters, wood sheds, stacks, and piles but not many wood burners in use. Let's see what you all use to warm your homes!
Mine is a Pacific Energy Fusion.
House: Old stove was Jotul 8, new stove is Pacific Energy Summit Classic(brown enamel)20170918_190435.jpgIMG_20200916_204332556.jpgIMG_20201023_114500823.jpg. Shop is local made steel stove.

Most? of the wood burners here seem to be non-capacitive. Apologize if I use the wrong term, I'm not native English. In the TV they show also documentary from
tall (almost 90") and the flue gas go first up and then turn around and come down
and finally exit below the grate. The burner is made at site with fire resitant and normal bricks and weight a lot. I burn birch and the whole thing gets hot and it
Juha
Finland
View attachment 951549
That’s a crazy looking thing! Looks like a big water heater with a window. Sounds like a cool design!

Juha
Finland
View attachment 951549
That is just amazing!
And look at how close all those flammables are.- Towels and wicker right up against it. The EPA would **** green!:surprised3:

3F4Cxnc.jpg

Quadrafire

The outside surface don't get too hot to touch and it has 3 hatches in the bottom from where it can be cleaned. The flue channels don't need to be cleaned. This construction
is originally designed to heat up army barracks. Here is some photos how it look inside, I was the goofer who cut all the bricks according to Masons instructions. An 70y old guy who definitely knew what he was doing. He did also a stove in the house, it was a real pleasure to see how an old craftsman worked.

Attachments

• IMG_1602.JPG
    IMG_1602.JPG
    58.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1603.JPG
    IMG_1603.JPG
    62.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1610.JPG
    IMG_1610.JPG
    70.3 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1617.JPG
    IMG_1617.JPG
    81 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1633.JPG
    IMG_1633.JPG
    71.3 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1635.JPG
    IMG_1635.JPG
    76.2 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1645.JPG
    IMG_1645.JPG
    99.5 KB · Views: 42
from your description of the flue gasses - principle of a rocket stove- batch heater, using thermal mass to store heat and slowly release same. a style of stove here in steel is called the liberator with similar flue path but lacks the amount of mass of yours.

Taken a few minutes ago. Jotul F600 CB showing the secondary combustion system in the top of the stove. Those are stainless steel tubes with holes that deliver pre heated air that travels through a convoluted passageway cast into the stove. I get about a pint of dry flakes per year when chimney cleaning. Going on 20 years with no repairs not even a door gasket replaced. Jotul F600 CB 003.JPG

Latest posts

Back