post a pic of your wood burner in use...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, but you still have to go outside to feed it.
Yeah, but it's not too bad. Usually only feed it 3 times a day. I have an awning so I'm out of the rain and snow. Wood is stacked right next to it. Best part is all the mess stays outside. I would like to have an indoor stove though, as I like the ambiance and wouldn't need power.

Not all indoor stoves work too well without some moving air. My fireplace insert doesn't hardly throw any heat at all until you turn on the fan.

https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/post-a-pic-of-your-wood-burner-in-use.265144/post-7637525
I've pretty much remodeled my basement on account of "the mess". It's a concrete basement floor, formerly covered with carpet. Due to concrete humidity, the tendency to burn holes through the floor in front of the hearth, and other issues, we installed a ceramic tile floor that emulates a wood finish. It looks good, it will last for the life of the house, and it laughs at spilled coals & ashes.

Until they put their bare feet on that cold ceramic, most folks would probably think it was a hardwood floor.

The house here is NOT designed to heat with wood. The fireplace is on the East side of the house, the master bedroom is on the West as is the bathroom. There is a forced air, natural gas furnace, but the duct work is single walled galvanized metal and it runs through the crawlspace. I can have the living room/dining room at 80 degrees in single digit ambient temps and the master bedroom is in the low to mid 50's. Running the blower motor on the forced air furnace kinds defeats the purpose of burning wood. This place is an old farmhouse and even with 7 foot ceilings it's impossible to get any sort of even heating in the house. I do save on a lot of the heating bills though. I have an electric blanket on the bed and can run the furnace even on just "fan" if the other rooms get too cold, it will bring them up 10 degrees in temp.

Just for a test, I let the fire burn low enough that the t-stat that kicks on the insert fan turned itself off. I then ran the furnace to get the house to 74°F. The bedroom was still 8°F colder than the living/dining room.

The house here is NOT designed to heat with wood. The fireplace is on the East side of the house, the master bedroom is on the West as is the bathroom. There is a forced air, natural gas furnace, but the duct work is single walled galvanized metal and it runs through the crawlspace. I can have the living room/dining room at 80 degrees in single digit ambient temps and the master bedroom is in the low to mid 50's. Running the blower motor on the forced air furnace kinds defeats the purpose of burning wood. This place is an old farmhouse and even with 7 foot ceilings it's impossible to get any sort of even heating in the house. I do save on a lot of the heating bills though. I have an electric blanket on the bed and can run the furnace even on just "fan" if the other rooms get too cold, it will bring them up 10 degrees in temp.

Just for a test, I let the fire burn low enough that the t-stat that kicks on the insert fan turned itself off. I then ran the furnace to get the house to 74°F. The bedroom was still 8°F colder than the living/dining room.
As an hvac installer I'm glad I don’t have your house lol I have done all the mods so far to make my house heat and cool evenly. Including adding lots of insulation in my attic which made a huge difference in heat loss in the winter. Like way less lp usage and much warmer temps from the wood furnace. It really made the wood heat more effective.

Our fire chief 700, indoor furnace. It heats our 2200 sq ft home just fine for the last 7 years. Never used coal in it, but is has that capability.

Attachments

• 706933D5-728F-47A5-869A-9CF6098FEB0A.jpeg
    706933D5-728F-47A5-869A-9CF6098FEB0A.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
  • 858A21D5-91E5-4D35-828C-753BECEBB6AF.jpeg
    858A21D5-91E5-4D35-828C-753BECEBB6AF.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • 2E55EA72-0418-4B22-84D3-3DAC22DF784C.jpeg
    2E55EA72-0418-4B22-84D3-3DAC22DF784C.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Something neat that I caught in my stove the other day. It was against the back wall so it must have fallen off of a log and flipped around. Unfortunately the pic doesn't show the real contrast. The dark parts of the rings were a deep velvet black which really made it stand out.

P1160102.JPGP1160104.JPG

I'd be remiss to not remind you I work for the company! So I have an "in". The wall boards are from MagraHearth in Wisconsin and are made entirely of concrete. I really am very happy with the raised hearth. Make loading easier on my wife (haha) and my old bones. This is from my Covid-Do List. Used to be called a Honey-Do list.
King.jpg

I'd be remiss to not remind you I work for the company! So I have an "in". The wall boards are from MagraHearth in Wisconsin and are made entirely of concrete. I really am very happy with the raised hearth. Make loading easier on my wife (haha) and my old bones. This is from my Covid-Do List. Used to be called a Honey-Do list.
View attachment 975645
May I ask the approximate cost per square foot or per board? Looks awesome and may consider using in our cabin. Thanks!

Is that a Hobart? I have one in my cellar I think it was originally made for Coal but grandfather always burned wood in it. I used it when I first moved in but it really was a wood hog . Still have it disassembled in the cellar though.
Blaze King KE40

May I ask the approximate cost per square foot or per board? Looks awesome and may consider using in our cabin. Thanks!
I bought them from a company MagraHearth. They sell their products through retailers nationwide. It isn't cheap, but given that they are concrete, they are 100% non combustible....did I mention they are heavy!!!

Latest posts

Back