Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks like a lot of ash there woodsroad, good burning stuff!

Yup, lots of ash. That's good...and bad. The Emerald Ash Borer is going to make our property look quite a bit different.
We also have hickory, locust and poplar. I don't mind burning poplar, even though it goes fast. I burn it during the day when I'm around.

Tomorrow I'll get out and work on the clump of ash that Sandy dropped for me only 100 yards from this spot!

Yup, lots of ash. That's good...and bad. The Emerald Ash Borer is going to make our property look quite a bit different.
We also have hickory, locust and poplar. I don't mind burning poplar, even though it goes fast. I burn it during the day when I'm around.

Tomorrow I'll get out and work on the clump of ash that Sandy dropped for me only 100 yards from this spot!

I marked over 60 ash in my small 5 acre woodlot thanks to EAB, got almost half of them processed. Storm in july brought a bunch of red oak down, will mix that with ash in two years. Might have to move to my other woods to find more.

attachment.php

Any chance we can get an explanation of the "re-engineered HF splitter"?

From a few hundred miles away that thing looks pretty stout!

Pic 1 is the start of this years pile. Can you find the Husky 51? It was (4) loads on pic 2. FIL and I each have a Heatmor 200 OWB and we sell the rest. Plus we are both about (3) years ahead.

Jeff

About a 1/3 of the way in from the right and 3 stick up from the bottom. :D

Any chance we can get an explanation of the "re-engineered HF splitter"?

From a few hundred miles away that thing looks pretty stout!

Well, for the full story, you can start here:
My Harbor Freight 30 ton splitter experience... | Page 4 | ********** Forums Home

But the short story is that the cylinder design was faulty. The nut that holds the piston in place came loose. If it had come off completely, at the wrong time, there was great potential there for some serious injury. The rod would have been free of the piston, and under pressure...ouch. It was just a plain old nut, not a castle nut, not pinned, no locktite. I rebuilt the cylinder, fixed that problem by locktiting the nut, replaced the valve with a real Prince unit, replumbed the hydraulics with larger id hoses and fittings, and Bob was my uncle. The unit works great now.

Later today, I'll post some pix of how it looks now. There's a "Post Pix of Your Splitter" thread somewhere....

Loose nut on the piston:

attachment.php

Piston about to come free of the rod as the nut backs off:

attachment.php

Splitter when it was fairly new:

attachment.php

WARNING: If your Harbor Freight splitter starts leaking fluid from the seal, there is a possibility that the locking nut on the back of the cylinder piston rod is coming loose. STOP USING THE SPLITTER and investigate the cause of the leak!

Last edited:
Well, for the full story, you can start here: My Harbor Freight 30 ton splitter experience...

That's a really important story for A.S. members to hear (but on another site!). There are likely to be similar splitters in use by our folks.

Would you consider posting a summary of it with the key information? I think that it deserves its own thread, both for the technical specifics of your splitter problem, as well as for the experiences and approaches you and the moderator followed trying to resolve them.

Thanks.

Philbert

Yep...I see it!:msp_biggrin:
Nice pile.

Pic 1 is the start of this years pile. Can you find the Husky 51? It was (4) loads on pic 2. FIL and I each have a Heatmor 200 OWB and we sell the rest. Plus we are both about (3) years ahead.

Jeff

That's a really important story for A.S. members to hear (but on another site!). There are likely to be similar splitters in use by our folks.

Would you consider posting a summary of it with the key information? I think that it deserves its own thread, both for the technical specifics of your splitter problem, as well as for the experiences and approaches you and the moderator followed trying to resolve them.

Thanks.

Philbert

I don't have the time right now (or in the foreseeable future) to put together an accurate and understandable post on the failure of the cylinder on my 30 ton Harbor Freight splitter, it's solution and the trials and travails of dealing with HF on this issue. It's best if folks go to the ********** posting and read the entire original thread. There is good information there from other people, too, and I'd rather not try to summarize and paraphrase what they had to say.

There was a similar thread here on AS, however, it wanders off into a "buy American" rant:
http://www.arboristsite.com/firewood-heating-wood-burning-equipment/41540.htm

Not from my place, about 25 minutes away. Good old Grandmas's 34 acres, real trees. The trampoline is used to keep the kids out of your hair. While working with the toys :rock:.

In fact, I just started splitting and stacking pine this year to burn next fall from the trees Sandy brought down in my yard.

I figure, if I got to touch it with my saw, I'm gonna burn it.

Besides, it all makes an ash.

Latest posts

Back