Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
#1 I was always told that too but have since found that like an urban legend it isn't true. Dry pine burns hot which is less likely to build creosote. It's the moisture not the sap that makes creosote form.

#2 With a large variety of hardwood available around here nobody has to burn pine so they don't.

#3 Six to eight months is about all that it takes for white pine to season. Not sure about other types.

EXACTLY! You can get creosote from burning unseasoned oak, ash, hickory or any wood.

Moisture, moisture, moisture, moisture.

If it's Southern Yellow, I wouldn't burn it in my stove. 20 years from now it will still be oozing sap. ;o)

Dunno if its Southern yellow or not all I know about Pine is there's Southern White Pine that telephone poles are made of and what we used to call sh** Pine, which are the ones usually found around here that aren't exactly worth making anything out of.

Dunno if its Southern yellow or not all I know about Pine is there's Southern White Pine that telephone poles are made of and what we used to call sh** Pine, which are the ones usually found around here that aren't exactly worth making anything out of.

.....post a pic, I know someone here will I.D. it.....;)

Was able to get 2 loads(just over 1 cord) of wood hauled up to my shed on Wednesday before the storm came in on Thursday(only 8" of snow). That should take care of whatever we'll need this winter. My son and I got a tarp over it just before dark. Went out this afternoon and started stacking and took a few pictures to pass along.....

.....looking out my second floor bedroom window.....

attachment.php

.....gettin' light snow all day.....

attachment.php

.....wonder what's under there???.....

attachment.php

.....this is my afternoon "work area" before I started stacking.....

attachment.php

.....couldn't see anymore so I had to stop.....

attachment.php

I'll try to get a pic after it's all stacked.....;)
(looks like we'll end up with at least another 6" of snow)

Was able to get 2 loads(just over 1 cord) of wood hauled up to my shed on Wednesday before the storm came in on Thursday(only 8" of snow). That should take care of whatever we'll need this winter. My son and I got a tarp over it just before dark. Went out this afternoon and started stacking and took a few pictures to pass along.....

.....looking out my second floor bedroom window.....

attachment.php

.....gettin' light snow all day.....

attachment.php

.....wonder what's under there???.....

attachment.php

.....this is my afternoon "work area" before I started stacking.....

attachment.php

.....couldn't see anymore so I had to stop.....

attachment.php

I'll try to get a pic after it's all stacked.....;)
(looks like we'll end up with at least another 6" of snow)

That wood shed looks defective! I think you will have to haul it and the contents over here so that I can fix it.

Here is the pile a month ago, and yesterday. Doofus still doesn't help much, but likes her picture taken! Best of all.....still standing!!!!

View attachment 270378View attachment 270379

If I did my wood like that three things would happen, first my wood would never season ( trust me its a me thing) second, my dogs would have a FIELD day ripping the piles down :) and third, the city of Va Beach wold fine me for having wood huts in my back yard without having my property zoned for multiple family's

OK - this is probably a flaming newbie type question, but how come all the wood I leave outside to season turns dark so quickly, and all you guys have stacks of such clean, pretty wood? Maple, oak, polar, ash, box elder, lilac, etc. - does not seem to matter what species.

Mold? Mildew? Acid rain? UV rays? Diesel exhaust? Ant poop? Fluoride in the city water? . . . .

It still burns and heats the stove, but I would have trouble selling it if I was in that business.

Just curious.

Thanks.

Philbert

OK - this is probably a flaming newbie type question, but how come all the wood I leave outside to season turns dark so quickly, and all you guys have stacks of such clean, pretty wood? Maple, oak, polar, ash, box elder, lilac, etc. - does not seem to matter what species.

Mold? Mildew? Acid rain? UV rays? Diesel exhaust? Ant poop? Fluoride in the city water? . . . .

It still burns and heats the stove, but I would have trouble selling it if I was in that business.

Just curious.

Thanks.

Philbert

That's normal... Some just fade... Other varieties mold... Lots of variables...
Sun time, prevailing wind, precip., time split before soaking, bark content...

Just curious.

Thanks.

Philbert

Always a problem!:laugh:

Seasoned Firewood

Just curious.

Thanks.

Philbert

Philbert, mine always fades to a light gray when it's seasoned right. Now that's split, stacked and uncovered. Around here, folks are very leery of wood that has color to it as not being seasoned. But I've never seasoned wood under cover, so I don't know it it would retain it's color some if done so.

Latest posts

Back