Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i can get kero out of a pump at my local fleet farm store/gas station. its even clear. kinda pricey at around $4.50 a gallon but my shop torpedo style heater will smoke you out if i dont use straight kerosene in it. in the store part they sell little one gallon cans of k1 clear for $14...

I've been giving serious consideration to doing the same. The local LP vender doesn't fill walk-in tanks any more, so you have to go to one of those "trade-a-tank" places. Pricey.

I'm lucky. Local country store a mile down the road still fills tanks, up to 100 pounders, and doesn't give you the 18 lbs in a 20 lb bottle shafting that the tank swap places do. I'd go to a 100 lb tank for my propane (backup heat, hot water and cooking), but I only pay a few bucks a year for tank rent on the 500 gallon one I have, so I keep it around.

I got 200 gallons of kerosine beside the house. We dont use the big old heat that burns it. If there is any one near here that needs any let me know.

I'm lucky. Local country store a mile down the road still fills tanks, up to 100 pounders, and doesn't give you the 18 lbs in a 20 lb bottle shafting that the tank swap places do. I'd go to a 100 lb tank for my propane (backup heat, hot water and cooking), but I only pay a few bucks a year for tank rent on the 500 gallon one I have, so I keep it around.

Our local vendor put the bottle on the scale while filling it. You paid by what you got. I keep the bottle around for my plumber's torch.

I got 200 gallons of kerosine beside the house. We dont use the big old heat that burns it. If there is any one near here that needs any let me know.

Someone around here was doing that. I think they wanted $2/gal for it.

I hit a price war once, filled up my little falcon at 12.9

actually..I miss the free maps..

I think our road tax was higher than Georgia. Gotcha on the maps. I hate that :censored: fine print in a road atlas, and only about half the roads show up.

I think our road tax was higher than Georgia. Gotcha on the maps. I hate that :censored: fine print in a road atlas, and only about half the roads show up.

Get a DeLorme Atlas for your state, and any others you're gonna spend much time in. I have WI MN and IA. They show every goat trail in the state, the only real problem is there's 90 pages of maps to cover a state, lots of flipping around for a longer trip.

wi_cover.jpg

I've been giving serious consideration to doing the same. The local LP vender doesn't fill walk-in tanks any more, so you have to go to one of those "trade-a-tank" places. Pricey.

We used to buy kero at a local gas stop/minute market. They closed up last year. It wasn't cheap, but ya didn't have to drive far to get it.

Our Do It hardware fills tanks. And a nearby campground, local meijers has a kero tank. Do you have any of those options?:confused2:

You have to be "that age" to experience prices that low. I've burned a lot of 19 cents a gallon gasoline, too. Just sayin'.

I hit a price war once, filled up my little falcon at 12.9

actually..I miss the free maps..

I'm just a youngster. :msp_smile: Paid 18 cents for a McDonald's hamburger and 15 cents for fries (IIRCC the menu was only hamburger, cheeseburger, fries, Coke and shakes) but gas was around 35 cents when I was a kid. You got full service though. The cheapest gas I ever bought was many years later in Georgia after I-75 was well established in the southern part - 23.9 cents. Ron

Get a DeLorme Atlas for your state, and any others you're gonna spend much time in. I have WI MN and IA. They show every goat trail in the state, the only real problem is there's 90 pages of maps to cover a state, lots of flipping around for a longer trip.

I know. I have one for Maine. It has 70 maps. I like it.
We carried the big spiral bound glossy print national atlas in the truck. Too much info in too little space. :msp_mad:

Our Do It hardware fills tanks. And a nearby campground, local meijers has a kero tank. Do you have any of those options?:confused2:

Do It closed a few years ago. Lowes and Home Depot pretty much did them in. No Meijers here. I haven't found any kero within 30 miles (each way).

I'm just a youngster. :msp_smile: Paid 18 cents for a McDonald's hamburger and 15 cents for fries (IIRCC the menu was only hamburger, cheeseburger, fries, Coke and shakes) but gas was around 35 cents when I was a kid. You got full service though. The cheapest gas I ever bought was many years later in Georgia after I-75 was well established in the southern part - 23.9 cents. Ron

I think I was around 16 when Mickey D opened their first store where I lived. When I was in the service, I-95 ended at Yulee, FL. After that it was US 17 'til I got to Virginia.

Amish around here buy kero in lamps and portable heaters. Quite a few places around here sell it, even in 45 gal barrels, price is crazy.

The Amish are smart enough to not live around here.

About the the cheapest I can remember paying for gas is $1.16.

Here's pic of today's work. Nothing too impressive, but this is my first time cribbing. I tried it unsuccessfully a few months ago. It wasn't my building skills, but my bucking/splitting skills. My bucks where all over the place, and I hadn't found my "swing" yet so it was about impossible to get a stable crib. I found myself splitting for the cribs which made it easier to find the perfect piece...

View attachment 270947

Here's pic of today's work. Nothing too impressive, but this is my first time cribbing. I tried it unsuccessfully a few months ago. It wasn't my building skills, but my bucking/splitting skills. My bucks where all over the place, and I hadn't found my "swing" yet so it was about impossible to get a stable crib. I found myself splitting for the cribs which made it easier to find the perfect piece...

View attachment 270947

Very nice.

Thanks for the compliments...I tend to be self deprecating.

stihly dan, Yep a little better. 140cf give or take. Most of it came from 3 oaks I bucked yesterday that were likely blown down by Sandy. I filled out the front row with some older oak and sassafras that are a bit punky but still worth the effort.

Thanks for the compliments...I tend to be self deprecating.

stihly dan, Yep a little better. 140cf give or take. Most of it came from 3 oaks I bucked yesterday that were likely blown down by Sandy. I filled out the front row with some older oak and sassafras that are a bit punky but still worth the effort.

Ah sassafras, I love that stuff.

View attachment 270947

In regards to cribbing, I've tried a few ways, and have borrowed Hedgerow's technique. Taking his advice, 2 (sometimes 3) half splits make nice columns. They go up quickly and are solid. Flat side down, curved side up, rinse and repeat.

I also used T-posts on the very ends, I don't mind cheating a bit if it saves me from re-stacking.

I started this year in a hurry (wanted to stack what I Fiskarized before the "huge" snowfall which was all of 4") and didn't have enough half splits, so I added a few more deadmen, and I'm think I'm solid for a couple years before it'll burn.

View attachment 270947

I cheat on the ends, I slide a pallet over 2 t posts
View attachment 271009View attachment 271010

Back