Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My woodpile? Well, it's a pile, not a stack. It's probably not the nicest/cleanest, but it'll do. I figure that it will season better as a pile instead of a stack, but maybe I'm just making an excuse to do it the easy way. I stack and pack the front end loader and then go over to my pile and dump it on. Still got lots more on the ground waiting to be split.
View attachment 351326
the top stuff will season just fine, but the inside of the pile will not be pretty...the bottom, shoot, if you don't have pallets or something on the bottom, the bottom is going to be awful

Well, I've got pallets on the bottom. so you think maybe I should have more but smaller piles?
as stated above it's all about air flow. I found out the hard way, it's not worth leaving it in a pile like that. Best thing to do is stack it up off the ground, and put a piece of plywood or something on top to shed the bulk of the rain. some folks will put a board around the bottom of the pile too, to help tame the splash effect. Another thing about piling it like that, is it makes it a bugger to get to the wood when you want it and there's snow. My boss at the farm left her wood in a pile on top of pallets with a tarp covering it. And she'd have me load her firewood racks..so annoying esp this past winter, it was wicked cold up here and we had over a foot of snow cover on the ground for most of the winter. At some points we had 2ft, and in the drifts shoot, you could bury yourself! How much snow did yawl get down there this past winter?

You had ONE or TWO feet??? We had 114" of snow last winter, that was right here, they had a LOT more just north of here!

SR

Well, I've got pallets on the bottom. so you think maybe I should have more but smaller piles?
I'd be more concerned about lack of sunlight under all those trees and reduced air flow also because of the trees. I throw wood in windrow piles in a field every year and it seasons with no problems. I tried it once in an opening in the woods and didn't like the results.

as stated above it's all about air flow. I found out the hard way, it's not worth leaving it in a pile like that. Best thing to do is stack it up off the ground, and put a piece of plywood or something on top to shed the bulk of the rain. some folks will put a board around the bottom of the pile too, to help tame the splash effect. Another thing about piling it like that, is it makes it a bugger to get to the wood when you want it and there's snow....... How much snow did yawl get down there this past winter?

In the past, I've always cut just enough for one winter, a year ahead of time, and stacked it close to the house in a small shed. This is the first time I've piled it up in a big heap, using a tractor FEL instead of hauling it in a small trailer behind a 4 wheeler. I really don't look forward to restacking, and with all the other chores I have right now, it might not get done in time. We didn't have much snow at all, but we did have the cold temps and I need to stockpile at least 2 years ahead just in case we get a repeat winter. My guess is that I'll find out the hard way, but I do have a normal winters supply already stacked in the shed. Maybe there will be enough dry stuff on top of the pile to get me through.

In the past, I've always cut just enough for one winter, a year ahead of time, and stacked it close to the house in a small shed. This is the first time I've piled it up in a big heap, using a tractor FEL instead of hauling it in a small trailer behind a 4 wheeler. I really don't look forward to restacking, and with all the other chores I have right now, it might not get done in time. We didn't have much snow at all, but we did have the cold temps and I need to stockpile at least 2 years ahead just in case we get a repeat winter. My guess is that I'll find out the hard way, but I do have a normal winters supply already stacked in the shed. Maybe there will be enough dry stuff on top of the pile to get me through.
take your loader and turn the piles once a month thats how large scale operations do it...
they usually have a grapple to make it alot easier, but it can be done with just a bucket

If nothing else, lay some pallets around the pile you have and pull the wood off the big pile onto the surrounding pallets with your tractor.

I agree with above stated, poke at the pile every so often. If ya could, open up the canopy a bit to get some sun to it. Anyways, best of luck to ya

Latest posts

Back