Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Had one of these young and dumb moments when I saw a spot I got 3 truck loads of wood from and someone got a few more. Well everyone left the trunks of to trees and I saw some nice not free sectons. Well cut them no problem. Hand ssplit to load. Yeah not happening. Jamed my wedge in one. Had to roll and load these 4 heavy mother ******* by myself with a short 2x12 ramp. **** that never again. If no one wants it theres a reason...20140526_200414.jpg20140526_200424.jpg

[QUOTE="Sandhill Crane, post: 4828274, member: 47568"Several guys liked the photos in post #3879, which is the result of several years of trying different ideas and things (since I started buying logs by the truck load), most all of them borrowed, many from guys on this site. I had bought four loads over the last four years. During that time I used the same almost 30 year old SpeeCo. splitter that we split three to four cord a year with to heat the house. Trusty but very slow. This spring, after many seasons of "I wish I had...", or "I wish I could...", I added a SuperSplit. Love it! Anyway, earlier this spring I had ordered two 20 cord loads, and they pulled in... together!
Each truck is six axles, five behind the cab, and pulls a five axle pup. The grapple is mounted on the rear of the truck, centered between the 20 cord load. They unloaded off opposite sides from each other because of access with the trees and shed.[/QUOTE]

Land train!

Had one of these young and dumb moments when I saw a spot I got 3 truck loads of wood from and someone got a few more. Well everyone left the trunks of to trees and I saw some nice not free sectons. Well cut them no problem. Hand ssplit to load. Yeah not happening. Jamed my wedge in one. Had to roll and load these 4 heavy mother ******* by myself with a short 2x12 ramp. **** that never again. If no one wants it theres a reason..

Noodle them bad boys!

If they ain't splitting easy fresh cut, no probs, noodle to size, stack the chunks off the ground just like you would splits, wait however long it takes for them to check and crack well, maybe the bark loosens, then go back and split them. I am doing that now with some big stuff I cut last fall/winter. QAnd last month I finished a big pile I had cut almost two years ago.

I am not in any huge rush, as long as cut and back to the ranch, I'll get to them someday. I am quick to noodle if they are too big for me to manhandle them. I'll try splitting on the spot, but if it sucks..that's why I have big saws!

Trying to get a bit of North America colour here down under. Love this time of year here. This shot from the deck, 5 mins ago. Another 10 years and it should be getting close to what's in my head. Maples, Ambers, red oaks, etc.

View attachment 352353
Kiwibro, that is a downright beautiful view. Even nicer that it is viewed from your deck;thanks for sharing!

Kiwibro, that is a downright beautiful view. Even nicer that it is viewed from your deck;thanks for sharing!
Thanks Ronaldo. I don't spend much time here as all my work is just about anywhere but here, but it is at the stage where it doesn't need much work to stay on top of it. For years people couldn't really visualise what I had in my head, so it's great some of the trees are becoming established (already, the thinning is creating more firewood than needed) and they can see what the grand plan is.

The camera doesn't show it, but that hillside to the left of the shot that looks a bit bare is fully planted out in similar trees but much younger so not much colour yet. Still have some paths to build throughout but that can wait until the trees sort themselves out. Give it 10 years and it will be my slice of heaven. Meantime, all the time away, living in caravans and tiny cubicles and working long hours in the bush, etc melt away whenever I can get back here for a few days every now and then.

Had one of these young and dumb moments when I saw a spot I got 3 truck loads of wood from and someone got a few more. Well everyone left the trunks of to trees and I saw some nice not free sectons. Well cut them no problem. Hand ssplit to load. Yeah not happening. Jamed my wedge in one. Had to roll and load these 4 heavy mother ******* by myself with a short 2x12 ramp. **** that never again. If no one wants it theres a reason...
Maybe a fiskars would've split em! Ha!

yea man just noodle them uns be good to go

Spring update. After doing 1.5 cords or so pine and oak with the husky axe, i was disappointed in it, and switched back to the fiskars. My production is going back up now, even just a little while in the evenings putzing at it. Only doing a few wheelbarrows a night, not much, two to four, sometimes more but usually not, but it adds up eventually. Here's some pics new stacking area #4, oak, mixed red and white, extendo stack style, three rows wide, no bark and heartwood to the right, bark-on to the left. I need to go get more railroad ties to extend the bark-on area. I should have this big row done by calendar summer. Oddballs, uglies and small rounds are going on a different stack, a "mixed bag" various species stack. I am keeping the primo oak and hickory separate.

Bonus pic! Fully Automatic Assault Quackers! Banned in many areas!

Attachments

• IMG_20140529_192025.jpg
    IMG_20140529_192025.jpg
    130.7 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_20140529_192110.jpg
    IMG_20140529_192110.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 217
  • IMG_20140529_192040.jpg
    IMG_20140529_192040.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_20140529_195520.jpg
    IMG_20140529_195520.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 220
  • IMG_20140524_152734.jpg
    IMG_20140524_152734.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 183
b8jx4j.jpg
small ash removal to day

Sose..I come in a little while ago, still bustin oak, did more than yesterday, but admit I was hot and sweaty. not whipped, but sneaking up on it..

Sose...when I get inside, girl friend has the TV on watching PBS pledge break with a buncha 60s bands...way cool! But..hey..looking at the bands and the audience..WE'RE ALL OLD GEEZERS! hahahah no wonder I gets a little tired bustin wood..

ROCK ON BROTHERS!

Now, if I could only get Garden Goddess to dig out the hotpants and GoGo boots ;)

Latest posts

Back