Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Moved last season's wood to dry storage earlier today, then decided to do some splitting this afternoon. Also fired up my new dual burn barrels and laid waste to the brush and punky log pile. Laid out some fresh pallets and started some new stacks. Wood is a mix of Black Cherry, White Oak, White Ash, and Black Walnut:
GLCT0o6.jpg

p4Ts1v2.jpg

9itRryz.jpg

Also, on Friday afternoon, had a buddy drop off five logs of Black Cherry from his pop's property that have been sitting on the ground for a few years. Edges are a little punky, but the centers are still solid and dry after sawing them down to manageable size.
yaTAg1R.jpg

Does anyone else separate their wood according to species in their stacks? I'm pretty good at ID wood even after it's seasoned, but even so when it's all stacked and I'm pulling from the pile to burn, I don't always notice what I'm pulling because it's from a 'general' pile. Just curious is all...
I separate hard wood vs. Soft wood and burn the soft wood early in the season.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Moved last season's wood to dry storage earlier today, then decided to do some splitting this afternoon. Also fired up my new dual burn barrels and laid waste to the brush and punky log pile. Laid out some fresh pallets and started some new stacks. Wood is a mix of Black Cherry, White Oak, White Ash, and Black Walnut:
GLCT0o6.jpg

p4Ts1v2.jpg

9itRryz.jpg

Also, on Friday afternoon, had a buddy drop off five logs of Black Cherry from his pop's property that have been sitting on the ground for a few years. Edges are a little punky, but the centers are still solid and dry after sawing them down to manageable size.
yaTAg1R.jpg

Does anyone else separate their wood according to species in their stacks? I'm pretty good at ID wood even after it's seasoned, but even so when it's all stacked and I'm pulling from the pile to burn, I don't always notice what I'm pulling because it's from a 'general' pile. Just curious is all...

Great pics! I'm probably the opposite, I don't stack according to species but I do pull from the shed according to species, depending on what I want it to do. I generally mix my stacking so I can generally grab whatever I need. Peppermint and candlebark for the clean day burning and bluegum for longer (but more ashy) night burning.

Awesome setup! If I'm ever able to move to my cabin full time I'll be stealing this layout!

Thanks, its evolved over the past 4 years. I buy a log truck of wood each season, he drives right up to that location and drops them all off. Then Im able to buck it up, then split it...all while moving closer to the shed. Finally its stacked underneath.

This season for the first time I did set the splitter up underneath the shed itself to minimize how far Im moving the split wood to stack. Stacking is my least favorite part...this way Im carrying the bigger chunks from where I buck to where I split, but barely have to move the already split wood...I prefer that personally.

Its great having the boiler under the shed as well, sure makes loading in inclimate weather better. Im planning to slowly start enclosing the back 2/3 that the wood is stacked at...1x6 or 1x8 rough cut layed horizontally between posts with gaps to allow air flow. Dont need it fully enclosed, just enough to keep the wood together and some of the blowing snow out.

I'll post some updated pics later this week, Ive got the shed about 1/2 full of wood right now...100% full should be just about 2 seasons worth of wood (depending just how cold of a winter it is anyway).

I separate hard wood vs. Soft wood and burn the soft wood early in the season.

I totally get that, I guess I was more wondering about species and the BTU output. I've been just throwing it all in the same stack, but lately I've been sorting it according to species, e.g. Sycamore for the shoulder seasons, cherry and walnut for the winter days, oak and locust to burn through the night. Of course right now, my sorted woods are mostly not split (with the exception of a cord of sycamore) -- but the idea was to somehow stack them next season to be pulled easily according to conditions, rather than trying to sift through and find something in particular. It's was just an concept in the works, still not sure I'll go through with it... probably overthinking...

Great pics! I'm probably the opposite, I don't stack according to species but I do pull from the shed according to species, depending on what I want it to do. I generally mix my stacking so I can generally grab whatever I need. Peppermint and candlebark for the clean day burning and bluegum for longer (but more ashy) night burning.

That's actually what I've been doing, but sometimes at night it gets a little difficult and annoying. Honestly, it's probably going to be more work maintaining separate stacks rather than ID'ing and pulling as needed from mixed stacks. Thanks for the response - cheers!

That buck is a beast for being only a yearling. Usually the spikers I see are the same size as does.

Cool that the button buck is tagging along. He looks healthy as well.

After these two it was a fork horn and a bunch of does and fawns. Waiting on the big boy they should be moving soon.

I've been on the road at night a few times in the last week and have yet to see any bucks which should happen soon. The ones I had on my game camera while in velvet vanished around mid August. But as you know it just takes the flipping of a switch.

The crappy thing is the full moon falls exactly on rifle opener this year which means the deer will move at night and then rest till mid day. I prefer to hunt morning and afternoon and stop at the cabin for hot lunch in between. Guess that won't be happening this year.

In the past 24 years on the farm the majority of bucks were shot between noon and 2pm.
Interesting. Most of mine have been between 8-10 in the morning and then 3-sunset. And then 2:15-2:30 is a strangely reliable travel time.

The weird thing is many of my deer are shot on the hour, half hour, 15, or 45. It's really strange.

Interesting. Most of mine have been between 8-10 in the morning and then 3-sunset. And then 2:15-2:30 is a strangely reliable travel time.

The weird thing is many of my deer are shot on the hour, half hour, 15, or 45. It's really strange.
not unlike some of the fish I catch time wise and length.. always 1/2" over the inch mark as well as the pound? lol

Back