Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Another bunch split and thrown into a big pile, this time it's Ash and about takes care of my stacked rounds. Need to start felling/bucking again! Not sure exactly how much, but it was three stacks of rounds about 14-16'' long, and another stack about 10' long and 7' high at the peak. It's definitely a bigger pile than the Oak I recently split. Besides myself for scale, just to give you an idea, the pile is about as wide as it is long. I'm guessing a little over 2 cords.

Running out of flat, level space to stack, so I'm going to do a big holzhausen since Ash dries quickly. Body is pretty sore and tired from today, will stack tomorrow. My other smaller holzhausen stacks have gone rather quickly, so I'm not dreading it as much as a straight, non-cribbed stacks like I normally do.

3a5Hg0c.jpg

Another bunch split and thrown into a big pile, this time it's Ash and about takes care of my stacked rounds. Need to start felling/bucking again! Not sure exactly how much, but it was three stacks of rounds about 14-16'' long, and another stack about 10' long and 7' high at the peak. It's definitely a bigger pile than the Oak I recently split. Besides myself for scale, just to give you an idea, the pile is about as wide as it is long. I'm guessing a little over 2 cords.

Running out of flat, level space to stack, so I'm going to do a big holzhausen since Ash dries quickly. Body is pretty sore and tired from today, will stack tomorrow. My other smaller holzhausen stacks have gone rather quickly, so I'm not dreading it as much as a straight, non-cribbed stacks like I normally do.

3a5Hg0c.jpg

Great picture! This deserved more than a “like”!

3a5Hg0c.jpg

Be careful with that axe :omg:!

Be careful with that axe :omg:!

Don't worry, I always wear my woodcutters protective cup ;)

Just kidding, the perspective is deceiving. The ax is actually in front of the saw, more likely to have fallen forward and into the dirt... Either way, thanks for checking out my wood :D

Got the Ash stacked in a 7' diameter x 6' tall holzhausen. I'm estimating that the cubic footage puts it to about 1.7 cords, pretty close to what I thought. There were about three dozen or so split pieces leftover that I couldn't stack properly, so my ballpark figure of "a little over two cords" was a bit high, but close enough.

x51msoT.jpg

Here it is compared to my straight stacks of oak...

xOFYhSs.jpg

Got the Ash stacked in a 7' diameter x 6' tall holzhausen. I'm estimating that the cubic footage puts it to about 1.7 cords, pretty close to what I thought. There were about three dozen or so split pieces leftover that I couldn't stack properly, so my ballpark figure of "a little over two cords" was a bit high, but close enough.

x51msoT.jpg

Here it is compared to my straight stacks of oak...

xOFYhSs.jpg
That round stack looks pretty sharp.

Why would you not stack the oak in that manner?

Well, as a caveat, I have yet to try it. My experience with oak is that it takes a very long time to dry enough to burn properly. Oak just doesn't seem to want to let go of it's moisture. I try to keep it open to air and sun as much as possible. Perhaps I should try it, but I don't have any more oak to cut right now, nor any to scrounge. I'd hate to take the time to stack something only for a percentage of it not be properly dried. Just CYA from personal experience is all...

Well, as a caveat, I have yet to try it. My experience with oak is that it takes a very long time to dry enough to burn properly. Oak just doesn't seem to want to let go of it's moisture. I try to keep it open to air and sun as much as possible. Perhaps I should try it, but I don't have any more oak to cut right now, nor any to scrounge. I'd hate to take the time to stack something only for a percentage of it not be properly dried. Just CYA from personal experience is all...
Makes sense.

Latest posts

Back