Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 615116
Aerial view from the roof
View attachment 615117
Closer view of my predator 20 ton splitter, the ramp I use to get the big stuff up onto the work table, my last few cords to be stacked, and another two or so waiting to be stacked
is that a semi truck fender blocking the motor? And does the ram push the split wood over the motor? Hard to tell in the photo but looks like it does

is that a semi truck fender blocking the motor? And does the ram push the split wood over the motor? Hard to tell in the photo but looks like it does
Actually it's an airplane windshield, 3/8" plexiglass. Came out of a cessna Caravan.
I'm an airplane mechanic for a living, eventually the UV breaks down the plastic.
20171017_172150.jpg
The wedge splits both ways, the splits almost always are caught by the table.
I've only had a couple get away and fall towards the motor, even then the motor is mostly covered in metal so no damage is done

Actually it's an airplane windshield, 3/8" plexiglass. Came out of a cessna Caravan.
I'm an airplane mechanic for a living, eventually the UV breaks down the plastic.
View attachment 615675
The wedge splits both ways, the splits almost always are caught by the table.
I've only had a couple get away and fall towards the motor, even then the motor is mostly covered in metal so no damage is done
wow that is amazing! never seen one like that before. Didn't know they existed. My motor is exposed and I'm fabing something up to protect it. I really like your log catch cradle

I split and stacked a bit over two cubes of green manna gum eucalypt this morning. With the next two years' bays in the shed already full I stacked it along the retaining wall in front of the shed. At least it'll be easy to move into the shed once we make some space in there next winter.

3rd Dec 1.jpg

3rd Dec 2.jpg

Hey Cowboy if your noodling blocks to size try measuring your firebox and noodling some of those blocks so you can just fit two blocks into your firebox side by side with a 1” gap between them. I did this last time I had to to noodle blocks to size. This method will give you maximum burn times seeing as its pretty much as much as you can fit into your firebox. A single block will often go out during the night.

Hey Cowboy if your noodling blocks to size try measuring your firebox and noodling some of those blocks so you can just fit two blocks into your firebox side by side with a 1” gap between them. I did this last time I had to to noodle blocks to size. This method will give you maximum burn times seeing as its pretty much as much as you can fit into your firebox. A single block will often go out during the night.

Right on, Jeff, that does work well. The other thing I do sometimes is cut tombstones with large mongy chunks - bit as long and wide as can fit in the firebox and 3-4 inches thick. They burn beautifully.

Load 11 in the yard, got stuck trying to back through a low area. Mostly oak and ash again. One hickory, first hickory i have seen around here.
dad9ab57c5e62536c729bcaf5780adfa.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

I split and stacked a bit over two cubes of green manna gum eucalypt this morning. With the next two years' bays in the shed already full I stacked it along the retaining wall in front of the shed. At least it'll be easy to move into the shed once we make some space in there next winter.

View attachment 616212

View attachment 616208
that stove pipe sure has some bends in it. wood looks great.

that stove pipe sure has some bends in it. wood looks great.

I think Dr Seuss might have designed it. It is the flue from an open fireplace in the bottom level of the house which is cut below the ground level you can see. With a 3 storey high flue, it draws like crazy, even if it is rather impractical.

Back