Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for the info.
Getting closer to building mine and I'm trying to pay closer attention to the "whys" in regards to others buildings to get more ideas. I've got all my plans/material list/renderings together now, but until it's submitted/started I can make changes easier than once it's finished lol.
The only thing I wish I had done is run pipe in the floor for heat. I think going with the 6" slab was a good idea to not one crack in the floor and I can put a lift in where ever I want.

The only thing I wish I had done is run pipe in the floor for heat. I think going with the 6" slab was a good idea to not one crack in the floor and I can put a lift in where ever I want.
Have you tied the pipe to your OWB. That's something I've been contemplating myself. We don't have an OWB but if consider one for the near future, with three kids in the home and the oldest being 12 the unlimited hot water would be real nice to have as would the ability to heat the barn and the house.
I avoid the own when we first bought this place because I didn't want to be a slave to the wood, but now I have the equipment and the resources to get more wood than I need so its a legit option these days.

Attacked a bunch of red oak today that I cut up from a deadfall back around Halloween. This 'summabich almost fell on my house! The mild winter and barely touched wood stores didn't motivate me to split much wood over the winter (we're 3 years ahead already), but this oak was already punky around the edges and sitting on the ground. Needed to get it split and stacked before the spring rains... I have a love/hate relationship with oak. I love how it burns when it's dry; I hate how long it takes to dry and how easily it takes up moisture and rots! Like the last bit of oak I split, I removed ALL of the bark and punky edges, and this time actually spent the extra effort to split it in smaller pieces, not only to dry faster, but also because our old stove seems like prefer oak when split thinly.

gLIU6zv.jpg

HN2stng.jpg

lTjLhi8.jpg

NiXswK8.jpg

Next up is a bunch of big ol' Black Locust logs and a smattering of Black Cherry. I went for the oak first because it is just so prone to rotting and talking up moisture. I could leave these BL logs on the ground for the next three years and come back to them being as firm as can be! All of the punky bark covered pieces with slivers of good wood all went into the campfire/fire pit rack. Took much longer than it normally might take me on a good day, but hey, it's oak... it's worth it, right? Only two dump carts were discarded for compost or the burn barrels...

At5jJVB.jpg

Last year I only got forty cord cut/split. Wanted to get a better start this year. Some cold, windy, sunny days last week. Put the Carhart bibs on. The frost is coming out of the ground and a bit muddy in spots running the forklift, but i did get a start, without the PackFix. Everything fired up. Four to five cord, judging by the number of times I loaded and cleared the log decks. Splitting one of the new truck loads of logs I got in February. Nice size logs for what I'm doing, four to twelve inches in diameter, mostly the mid to larger size. The pile of logs from last year is shedding bark. When I get set up in my regular splitting spot, using the Posch PackFix to bundle loads, I'll stage a trailer to throw the loose bark into. Bark piles up very quickly, often three, four, and five foot pieces on the log deck when I roll them into position to cut.
Moved the conveyor and log decks yesterday late afternoon. Will be pulling PackFix from container today and splitting again. At some point I'll have to load the split pile onto a trailer and run the splits up the conveyor to palletize. Double work for sure, but it feels good to be up and running.
First rain day will be oil changes and going over things. The conveyor needs some new idler wheels for the belt. I called the company last fall, and for what they are, the price was beyond ridiculous. It is a steel shaft with three hard rubber wheels, no bearings. The wheels are located with washers welded on either side. The rod has a hole in one end for a cotter key, which indexes it on the frame bracket. I priced wheels at Surplus Center for $1.00 - $2.00 each, but did not find the right diameter hub/circumference combo. The company wanted something like $75.00 a rod (three wheels), and I need five or six sets to replace them all. I've switched locations as some areas wear more than others, but now I need replacements. The conveyor hydraulic pump began weeping oil around the shaft seal last spring. I ordered a pump from Surplus Center. The conveyor company did not have any in stock, and said it was a two stage pump I could get anywhere. That kind of threw me, as my understanding is, two stage pumps are for cylinders, and hydraulic motors should not be combined with them. A possible example. Yesterday while splitting a split jammed at the top of the pile and a paddle on the belt, stopping the belt. A two stage pump would shift down and add more stress.
It is very windy today. May not get to split today as my regular splitting area (not shown below) is surrounded by Beech and Oaks.
I'm guessing the photo below shows about three cord piled. The logs are 8', so the pile is less than that high. It is now 9' - 10' high and considerably broader. The conveyor with hand crank could be mounted higher, extending the overall height to 12' plus. It would also tip over because the axle pivot moves closer to the hitch as the conveyor is raised. When I converted to hydraulic lift, I chose the lower mount, limiting the height, but improving the balance. It is a 28" BuiltRite conveyor. The conveyor has been great, but their customer service has room for improvement. As a disclaimer: I bought the conveyor used from a person in Iowa, when it was two years old.
Anyway, good to be cutting and splitting. Love my 357 XP.
Edit: Rain day. Guess I'll be doing oil changes.
IMG_2617.jpg

I could afford a gas hydro splitter, but nah. Last thing I need is a large piece of equipment to store and maintain. Also, dealing with gasoline, the noise, levers and picking up heavy rounds. The only bending over I prefer to do is when picking up the splits and stacking them. Plus it's a good workout and makes me earn that beer!

Back