Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a shed for personal use firewood, and a wood lot for seasoning splits on pallets to sell. No comparison between outdoor and wood shed wood.
Build a two year shed, if not three three shed. Your hardwoods will be phenomenal. And you will be thanking yourself for years, if not decades to come.
I'm just finishing a 8 cord woodshed build with an attached splitter shed for the 30 ton Forest King.
Turned out good and even though lumber prices are high, I'm happy I finally did it.
Will post pics.

Noodling is cutting large rounds into smaller pieces. It produces long chips which are called noodles.

That guy is a total amateur.
No PPE at all, putting the bar into the dirt or close to it, no wedges or log handling tools.
Working it slacks and shoes.
Chain looked too loose as well.
WoW

Seems like when I noodle, the chain dulls quickly, contrary to others experience. Chain is getting oil, but maybe nit enough? It's turned up all the way.
Rip cutting does dull the chain quicker than cross cutting. Also the big rounds are often the stump piece which is notorious for having more grit in the wood.

Easier to roll a big round than to flop a 1/2 round. I have a winch on the trailer and another mount on a tree above the splitter. I modified as set of log dogs to 22 inch which is my split length. No lifting or flopping and i'll leave the noodling to cat fishing'

I love the big Red Oak rounds I often get. And in the straight grained sections of the log, I split them, usually in half (sometimes quarter) with an old hardware store maul. Then, in their lift-able form I set them on a splitting block and finish with an x27. Working my way down the log. I only noodle a piece or two per tree typically, the crotch pieces at the start of the crown.
IMG_5168.jpg

But, I don't recommend my practices to anyone who is working in the woods and enjoying their life. To me that is the point of the effort.

I love the big Red Oak rounds I often get. And in the straight grained sections of the log, I split them, usually in half (sometimes quarter) with an old hardware store maul. Then, in their lift-able form I set them on a splitting block and finish with an x27. Working my way down the log. I only noodle a piece or two per tree typically, the crotch pieces at the start of the crown.
View attachment 949464

But, I don't recommend my practices to anyone who is working in the woods and enjoying their life. To me that is the point of the effort.
I should have brought the Fisker's but I was going to mill it but it was punky in spots wouldn't have been wort it

Christmas came early ! Mini with a thumb ! Face is healing up after last week and im back at it. Im thinking im 1/16th through the log pile.

Attachments

• IMG_1677.jpeg
    IMG_1677.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 44
  • IMG_1682.jpeg
    IMG_1682.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 44
  • 66024379750__FA95185A-87A6-4A50-A79B-6819F75E89C3.jpeg
    66024379750__FA95185A-87A6-4A50-A79B-6819F75E89C3.jpeg
    3.1 MB · Views: 43
I love seeing some of your guys elaborate setups. I thought you guys might get a kick out of my setup. Backstory - I grew up on a few acres and used saws quite a bit growing up. Then moved out, got married, had kids and have been living the city slicker life. Early 2021 my wife and I purchased land to build on in the future. Conveniently it has 4 acres of a wooded flood plain. I've been driving up and bringing wood back to my neighborhood. I purchased an electric log splitter from Craigslist for $100. It does amazing for what it is. I'm amazed that it can split 18" oak. I believe it is a 7 ton originally sold at Harbor Freight. It obviously isn't for the large throughput like lots of you guys who sell firewood but it does great for my needs. A buddy has loaned me a real splitter (25 ton) and I understand how much better they can be. I'll buy one after we build and move in several years. For now, this little guy will suffice as I'm not selling firewood.

Attachments

• 7 ton.jpg
    7 ton.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 23
  • 18 incher.jpg
    18 incher.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
  • bucked up oak.jpg
    bucked up oak.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 25
  • bucking.jpg
    bucking.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 26
  • stacked.jpg
    stacked.jpg
    1,022.4 KB · Views: 26
I love seeing some of your guys elaborate setups. I thought you guys might get a kick out of my setup. Backstory - I grew up on a few acres and used saws quite a bit growing up. Then moved out, got married, had kids and have been living the city slicker life. Early 2021 my wife and I purchased land to build on in the future. Conveniently it has 4 acres of a wooded flood plain. I've been driving up and bringing wood back to my neighborhood. I purchased an electric log splitter from Craigslist for $100. It does amazing for what it is. I'm amazed that it can split 18" oak. I believe it is a 7 ton originally sold at Harbor Freight. It obviously isn't for the large throughput like lots of you guys who sell firewood but it does great for my needs. A buddy has loaned me a real splitter (25 ton) and I understand how much better they can be. I'll buy one after we build and move in several years. For now, this little guy will suffice as I'm not selling firewood.
From those splits and the bark completely off those look like Ash rounds.

Back