Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After taking down a nice dead Red Oak of about 20" DBH, sectioning it, and dragging it yesterday, I cleaned up my chain and bucked it into 18" rounds for the splitter.

IMG_0471.jpg

As always, my ever-present security dog, Scout is on look out.

Splitter is here typing instead of splitting. Won't replenish the stacks this way.

Took two more nice dead Red Oak down this morning. Sectioned them for dragging, and then just kind of enjoyed the day with my pup Scout.

IMG_0479.jpg

Every year my pace seems to taper off a bit. But, still enjoying my time in the woods. And with these nice straight red oak logs, even the splitting is rewarding.

Recently felled (was living) firewood - put under cover straight away or let it dry out in the open for a while first? It's Summer here...

Ideally split and stack right away.

We get no rain for the summer half of the year. I uncover all my stacks so they can get sunlight. If it rained much in the summer I'd keep it under cover.

Dragging the 12' sections of the two trees I cut down in the woods behind my house. I move them maybe half a mile to where I'll buck, split, and stack them for next year.

IMG_0484.jpg

Compared to many of you, I'm a low impact, low volume one-man and one dog operation that processes about 16 cord/year. This is a tried and true pace for an aging pair of woodsmen/dog, and we wouldn't trade it for anything.

Well heres a shot of the splitter with the new log tables raised up to a good working hight for me.splitter  redone.jpegYou can see next years wood cut to stove length getting a head start, will start splitting shortly. A new addition to the process this year is a what I would call a log buck, made from a pallet for a big machine that was given to me. buck & box.jpegYou can see the tote I made for use with the forks on our tractor, made for anything that comes up. I load right from the splitter into this and then transfer to the leanto shown previously, for a year + - for drying. Logs come from the property, our local highway dept. or any other giving source and get piled here logs.jpegoff the ground on ibeams that were cast offs from the local Home Depot. Nothing sophisticated, it is all in a small space and none of it would work without the John Deere 2520 w/a set of forks.

Well heres a shot of the splitter with the new log tables raised up to a good working hight for me.
splitter  redone.jpeg
I like seeing how people address the flow of wood processing, the totality of it.
The wheel barrow mod was one I saw at a local junk yard, used for people to transport tools in and parts out. It uses K car spindles, or rear axle mini van spindles, that bolt on/off, although welded here, with $5.00 super saver spares. The splitter I bought used years ago had vw hubs, welded to a tube axle, strapped to it to pull behind a tractor in an apple orchard. If used here it would eliminate your wedge on cylinder splitter tip up function. IMG_5675.jpgIMG_0502.jpg

Here are some of mine, just got into it last year after my father in law gave me my first saw. I did chest average with my dad for horses years ago but haven't done much with saws to about 2019 then it became a full blown addiction...

Only have about 4 cords here so far. I plan on having 5 for next year split and stacked. Have the brown tarp of red and white oak, poplar behind it, maple and ash getting stacked under the green tarp.

Have a large beech that just fell I want to get moved to this area to work this summer.

Attachments

• 20220119_171557.jpg
    20220119_171557.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 22
  • 20220119_171606.jpg
    20220119_171606.jpg
    4.7 MB · Views: 22

Latest posts

Back