Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I turned off the engine to take pictures. The third one I broke it in half but when going to quarter it slipped off the bent pipe thing, spun around and started riding between the screw and the pipe fortunately It was at basically idle, so I made it to the pto lever before any permeant damage.
I make short pieces on the counter, sometimes it starts spinning 😉 then I put something on it to block it. I don't set high revs either to have time 🤠
I've seen heavily used factory German augers with a claw clutch right behind the auger to disconnect the drive faster, but they cost around $1,000

Morgan was a female and never did anything destructive. She left us last year and I miss her everyday.
I'm old enough now and my back is even older so that I've gone partners in a log splitter. Before that I split my live oak rounds this way. Put enough wedges into the round to get you the pieces you want, wrap a bungee cord around the round attached to a length of light chain to keep tension so the pieces won't fall over and you'd have to constantly bend over to set it upright again. Then you can just "tap" each wedge in rotation to cause the round to weaken and they all come apart easily. No swinging for the fences required.
FD42CCA4-A456-4882-AB3C-FCC1BE91E243.jpeg

Morgan was a female and never did anything destructive. She left us last year and I miss her everyday.
I'm old enough now and my back is even older so that I've gone partners in a log splitter. Before that I split my live oak rounds this way. Put enough wedges into the round to get you the pieces you want, wrap a bungee cord around the round attached to a length of light chain to keep tension so the pieces won't fall over and you'd have to constantly bend over to set it upright again. Then you can just "tap" each wedge in rotation to cause the round to weaken and they all come apart easily. No swinging for the fences required.
View attachment 1160024
They're nice if you don't have them 😉 I also have a collection of wedges and then you want to have something better 🤠 so at least Świder 😎

A random dude with a load of wood stopped by yesterday and said he saw the wood boiler and wanted to know if I wanted some wood. Well yeah lol. He said he owns a tree service not too far away and struggles getting rid of anything between chipper size and 12”. I said I’ll take it !! One load of ash and another of sugar maple with three more loads coming today. Neat.
IMG_0835.jpeg

The last guy that dropped stuff off failed to mention there was a big stupid wire going through two chunks. I can see both ends so it should be manageable.
IMG_0837.jpeg

The splitter pile is growing !!
IMG_0836.jpeg

Are you taking everything with you to Idaho? Might be a train load!
Time is getting close. All the plans & engineer inputs have been sent to the builder for an estimate. We should have that by the end of this week.
Just the saws. Will sell the new 500i though, not sure about the new 400, may keep that as I bought it before the big price jumps

First time in two years, ground froze enough to get to the woods - skidding in logs is done till next winter , if we have one. Been one long fall and early spring, with no real winter, but too many mud seasons in between.

Attachments

• IMG_20240220_114805.jpg
    IMG_20240220_114805.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240220_114842.jpg
    IMG_20240220_114842.jpg
    3.6 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_20240220_114735.jpg
    IMG_20240220_114735.jpg
    4 MB · Views: 0
I really don't know why I post on this site. It won't happen again.
Well I'm glad you did, please don't leave. I have several wedges for when I can't buy gas anymore, your picture reminds me why I hold on to them, especially since you say there is no need for swinging very hard as my health is deteriorating. It sounds like you lost your Morgan? I too love dogs and I am sorry for your loss. I have three and we enjoy them immensely.1710320155845.png
Morgan looks like a real sweetheart.
Screenshot_20240313-045644~2.png
Here's a picture of our boys.
Screenshot_20240313-050517~2.png

Latest posts

Back