Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That Yanmar is awesome! Were did you ever find one of those at ?

Complete dumb luck, I like it but I am quickly find out it isn't much more useful than a lawn mower. I have a 4' Caroni finish mower and I use it to mow the lawn. On two gallons of diesel I can pretty much cut the yard all summer. :msp_biggrin:

Complete dumb luck, I like it but I am quickly find out it isn't much more useful than a lawn mower. I have a 4' Caroni finish mower and I use it to mow the lawn. On two gallons of diesel I can pretty much cut the yard all summer. :msp_biggrin:

That's cool!

Here's my pile. Weather was great today so I got quite a bit done.

View attachment 261865
View attachment 261866

You've got some big wood there, that'll keep you busy for "a little while". :)

261865-img_0555-jpg

261866-img_0557-jpg

This is my first post and a big hello to all. I've been lurking and gleaning info for a few months and would like to say thank you to a great forum, its administrators and knowledgeable posters. What a find!! I think I'm addicted 'cause it seems as though I constantly checking the new posts for info and insight. I've been cutting since the mid '70s - a few cords per winter and started with a Mac 10-10. This year, a big change since the derecho hit in late June, wood has been laying all over. I cut 4 cords from one oak in my mom's yard. I now have 8+ cords in the back yard, which should take me into the start of the 2014 burning season. Here in South Jersey the winters aren't quite as harsh as other areas.

Anyway, I've read that if pics aren't posted then it ain't so! Here are a few.
View attachment 261823View attachment 261824View attachment 261825View attachment 261826View attachment 261827

I think the one piece of info that has been most valuable to me, and I don't remember the original poster, is "sharpen your chain before it is dull". How true!!!! It works.

Thanks.

Hi, and welcome to A.S. You put up a very nice first post, complete with pics and all! Looks like some great wood stacks and a nice saw, too. I agree this place is quite addictive.:msp_smile:
Good to have ya on board.

Ron

I live in the city, I always get comments on how neat my piles are..

LOL must be nice to have descent neighbors, I live in a city too and all I get is "why are you using that wood stuff" Till tell them the medical bennies and cost saving over oil heat now I have 15 neighbors who want me to advise them on how to install wood stoves in their houses.

Nice wood stack by the way, think I'll do next years kinda like that.

LOL must be nice to have descent neighbors, I live in a city too and all I get is "why are you using that wood stuff" Till tell them the medical bennies and cost saving over oil heat now I have 15 neighbors who want me to advise them on how to install wood stoves in their houses.

Nice wood stack by the way, think I'll do next years kinda like that.

I live on a cul de sac in a mainly white collar neighbourhood all but a few have switched to natural gas. Most ask If I'm preparing for the end of times. I have about 25 skids/piles of mainly ash piled at the back fence. I burn about 7 piles/winter heating solely with firewood. Whenever I hear a chainsaw in the area I go to investigate, It's usually more free firewood.

I scored two trailer loads of Black Walnut this weekend. Just had to dig it out o a pile with the tractor. The two main sections of trunk are being sold, so I didn't get them, just the limbs and top section. Still probably three or four tons of wood.

View attachment 261953

Jon

This is my first post and a big hello to all. I've been lurking and gleaning info for a few months and would like to say thank you to a great forum, its administrators and knowledgeable posters. What a find!! I think I'm addicted 'cause it seems as though I constantly checking the new posts for info and insight. I've been cutting since the mid '70s - a few cords per winter and started with a Mac 10-10. This year, a big change since the derecho hit in late June, wood has been laying all over. I cut 4 cords from one oak in my mom's yard. I now have 8+ cords in the back yard, which should take me into the start of the 2014 burning season. Here in South Jersey the winters aren't quite as harsh as other areas.

Anyway, I've read that if pics aren't posted then it ain't so! Here are a few.
View attachment 261823View attachment 261824View attachment 261825View attachment 261826View attachment 261827

I think the one piece of info that has been most valuable to me, and I don't remember the original poster, is "sharpen your chain before it is dull". How true!!!! It works.

Thanks.

Yes sir! You've got yourself quite a supply of some fine looking firewood!:clap:
Welcome to AS, sounds like you've got a terminal case of AAD(Arboristsite Addiction Disorder). :hmm3grin2orange:

261823d1352666250-firewood2012-2-jpg

got some nice elm today

This was the last tree in the way of the big mostly dead walnut that is going to fall across the creek. Got it felled and the big blocks cut and hauled back today, go back tomorrow for the mediums and the branchwood. Also sorta out of mix fuel... This is, I *think* that winged elm, a large one for on this farm, most don't seem to make it this big before they just naturally croak. Saw today was a poulan 3400 with a 20 on it. It was a leaner and it needed, to be perfect, about 120 degrees against the lean, best I could do with two plastic wedges and cutting was a 90 degree shift, but enough it fell away from the other trees and all outside the creekbed. It was leaning across the creek at an angle. Slight rot in the center, not much though. Wouldn't have been much for a sawlog.

elm score so far

attachment.php

Some of what Sandy dropped in my front yard.

Home delivery! Nice it is in the yard and not on the roof! I mean, not nice it blew down, but ya know what I mean.

to this day my best score was the bucket truck guys "trimming" the oak out front. Five cords right next to where they needed to be stacked!

I think its more like a state of don't mind.... :D

I was reading on the internets that the state of Don't Mind had already over 80,000 signatures on the petition to secede! Not too shabby considering there are only 28 people, two cows, 16 chickens and a fat coyote live there!

Here's a little more of what we've been up to.

Around 300 bd ft of "highly valuable walnut".

attachment.php

A little cherry and a big red oak on the trailer.

attachment.php

Big oak, milling in process.

attachment.php

Firewood? Oh, yea. All the slab and cutoffs go in the firewood pile.

Just doesn't feel like firewood when square. Must be a triangle thing.

Well. the slab is kinds square. But it makes good starter after I run a big stack of it through the splitter. The cutoffs are more or less round, so they ARE firewood. Yea, we get some triangular wood from time to time, mostly butt rounds. I'm not particular. It all makes an ash.

Latest posts

Back