Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I gotta leave this Bay open enough to fit the loader tractor in... In the back of the barn, I always fill the back wall up first, then the ends, then the bays... Back wall of wood is 9' high x 40' across. I got an Ash tree to add to the barn right now, but ain't sure which bay i'm gonna have to plug up. Should be some nice stuff by mid winter though...

attachment.php

Wow! What a nice set up and wood stack. We saw wood fence on another post and now wall of splitted wood..What's next?..lol
But will it dry properly enclosed like that?

Once again very nice!

bwahahaha, that's exactly what happened to me first time out with my mail order supersplitter. Was laughing and having a good time, I mean whooping it up, WHACK Pop!, wow cool, try another one, a big one WHACKWHACKWHACK, etc pile of splits in seconds. Just freeking amazing to me just how much better their splitting axes are compared to generic hardware store "mauls".

Mauls are well named, after you use one for an hour, you feel like you have been mauled! I think mauls were invented so the international steel cartel can just sell you more bulk steel. That's why I started calling mauls "anvils on a stick".

Anyway, *nice* pile of pretty splits you got there man, I bet it is real nice up where you are. We are just now maybe starting tomorrow or so hitting what I call the beastly hot weather down here, starting like two months early after this extraordinary mildish winter we had. I am *not* looking forward to july or august except getting fresh melons and corn and maters.

Thanks for the compliment Zogger ! It's a nice sandy lake, a jewel in this swampy Northern Ontario. Here's a pic, showing the lake and the woodpile from the front.... the left row is dry from last year, and the right is what I split yesterday. The pic doesn't do it justice !

View attachment 236341

Wow! What a nice set up and wood stack. We saw wood fence on another post and now wall of splitted wood..What's next?..lol
But will it dry properly enclosed like that?

Once again very nice!

Bone dry in a year... If it were a garage with 4 walls, I don't believe it would be ready. Being open to the south, and tapered with open eves, the breeze blows right through it. If I make stacks 3 rows thick, it will not dry near as fast. A 13.5' high stack will shrink almost a foot in a years time.

Thus... Avalancher's "Case of the shrinking wood pile"... :msp_wink:

Thanks for the compliment Zogger ! It's a nice sandy lake, a jewel in this swampy Northern Ontario. Here's a pic, showing the lake and the woodpile from the front.... the left row is dry from last year, and the right is what I split yesterday. The pic doesn't do it justice !

View attachment 236341

There Pike in that lake??? Nice mini resort Dennis... Swimmin' docks, and drinkin' chairs, burnin' pit, and a wood pile...
Sweet...:rock:
236341d1335826453-100_0301-jpg

View attachment 236341

Extra nice!

My boss has a small lake right up the private road here, we go hang out there sometimes in the summer and catch some bass and bluegills.

There Pike in that lake??? Nice mini resort Dennis... Swimmin' docks, and drinkin' chairs, burnin' pit, and a wood pile...
Sweet...:rock:
236341d1335826453-100_0301-jpg

There is actually (also Walleye, Bass, perch, and now Catfish), and the neighbor across the way caught a 5 pounder right off the big dock about 2 hours earlier ! We have awesome campfires (you saw the woodpile....) and great neighbors, who supply beer in exchange for heat ... last summer the dude down the road was in shorts and sandals by the fire, it was just above freezing... before he got to the road on the way to his camper his nipples were rock-hard (his wife says) !

Water never gets above the edge of the grass, no worries for the wood pile. I DO see me building another shed though, for the quad and some other outdoor stuff (generator, mower, trimmer...) to free up room in the little shed for the kids toys. It'll go right on that square area where there used to be a gazebo from the previous tenant. I had put a screen house there when we had the 19-footer, but when we upgraded to the 32ft 5th wheel with an 8x16.5' add-a-room, the screenhouse was a waste. Grabbed the patio stones for the add-a-room entrance and that patch will be either grass or a shed later on.

i've tryed many different ways to to let it dry. this works the best. so far just running of the back of the processor the higher the pile the more mold black dots on the wood my customer don't like the black mold dots. so 4' windrows works best the wood on the bottom of the pile get put on the trailer and stack to be burn for the shop everyone happy i have no problem burn moldy rotted wood. sorry about the small pic these are the first i have put on this site didnt know what size would work hers so bigger ones
View attachment 237138
View attachment 237139

i've tryed many different ways to to let it dry. this works the best. so far just running of the back of the processor the higher the pile the more mold black dots on the wood my customer don't like the black mold dots. so 4' windrows works best the wood on the bottom of the pile get put on the trailer and stack to be burn for the shop everyone happy i have no problem burn moldy rotted wood. sorry about the small pic these are the first i have put on this site didnt know what size would work hers so bigger ones
View attachment 237138
View attachment 237139

.....Ayuh, that's a lot of wood. Where in N.H. are you pullin' that wood from? :msp_ohmy:

Last edited:
Near UNH. Wood is not hard to get but do have to start ordering early Aug

Back