Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So if u figure half to 1 cord per day processed and you just ease into it youll geterdone. With some wood it splits easier to split it when its below zero ..
One thing I do is when I buck the rounds I stand them up and stack them 2 high so the bottom one acts like a chopping block for the top one. Another thing I do is, any round that has a part that is tough to split I use the chainsaw. I don't even hit them once till I've sawn them up. . Most years I split 15-20 cord by hand. Last winter I only split 10cord . But I've done efficiency time runs over the years and have proven that a lot more wood getsprocessed by the end of the day by using the saw for any rounds that are tough to split with an ax or maul.

TOTALLY FORGET ABOUT USING SPLITTING WEDGES! !!!!
If u have any, hide them! !
I use a Collins 5 lb rafting ax or a 5.75 lb.chopping ax.
A 6 lb maul works good also.
some of the newer European design splitting mauls look good but I haven't tried one yet.

You'd fall in love with a Fiskar's

my woodpile outside

20121024_171707.jpg

my woodpile inside

20121022_060152.jpg

neighbors splitter that he lets me use

20121027_142921.jpg

what remains to be split of the last tree I worked on

20121027_142925-1.jpg

I don't know maybe 6-8 cords, I split everything by hand, keeps me from going soft. I buck everything with a 2172 and limb it with a husky 460

Ok I have a stupid question, what is bucking? If it means moving the wood from place to place I do that by hand too.

Ok I have a stupid question, what is bucking? If it means moving the wood from place to place I do that by hand too.

cutting the logs up to size. I buck them to 16 feet when i skid them out of the woods then buck them 16 to 18 inches when i get them home before i split them.Not a stupid question

Ok I have a stupid question, what is bucking?

'Bucking' is cutting the log to length. Same as 'crosscutting'. When you buck a log into firewood, you make 'rounds' - short sections of the log to be split.

'Ripping' is cutting the log with the grain from end-to-end, like when making boards.

'Noodling' is cutting the round with the grain from side-to-side (through the bark, not through the cut ends). It creates piles of fettucini style noodles, and is a faster way of dividing a round that is too big to split, or which is hard to split due to lots of cross grain and crotch wood. Also more fun.

Some of these may be obvious, but a few of the terms took me a little time to learn.

Philbert

'Bucking' is cutting the log to length. Same as 'crosscutting'. When you buck a log into firewood, you make 'rounds' - short sections of the log to be split.

'Ripping' is cutting the log with the grain from end-to-end, like when making boards.

'Noodling' is cutting the round with the grain from side-to-side (through the bark, not through the cut ends). It creates piles of fettucini style noodles, and is a faster way of dividing a round that is too big to split, or which is hard to split due to lots of cross grain and crotch wood. Also more fun.

Some of these may be obvious, but a few of the terms took me a little time to learn.

Philbert

Bucking is that 600 pound steer threw me in the manure when I tried to ride him. Made my brother laugh. Made my mom mad.

Ripping is the Mrs. every lunar cycle. (Or every 28 days)

Noodling is me and my Brother snorkeling the creek. Got sixty stitches that way from a large snapper. But my Bro harpooned him. Thirty years later, now I'm laughin', too. Mom called the dog catcher, cause she didn't know what to do with a forty pound turtle.

Bucking is that 600 pound steer threw me in the manure when I tried to ride him. Made my brother laugh. Made my mom mad.

Ripping is the Mrs. every lunar cycle. (Or every 28 days)

Noodling is me and my Brother snorkeling the creek. Got sixty stitches that way from a large snapper. But my Bro harpooned him. Thirty years later, now I'm laughin', too. Mom called the dog catcher, cause she didn't know what to do with a forty pound turtle.

60 stitches? Don't you know those things are mean? Actually I'm pretty sure a snapper is the meanest thing on 4 legs. They know one thing only - bite. Reminds me of a story. One night we were frog gigging and one of the other guys also caught a snapper, put it in a feed sack and through the feed sack over his shoulder. The snapper bit him in the middle of his back and of course hung on. I did everything I could to help which was absolutely nothing because I was laughing so hard I could barely stand up.

60 stitches? Don't you know those things are mean? Actually I'm pretty sure a snapper is the meanest thing on 4 legs. They know one thing only - bite. Reminds me of a story. One night we were frog gigging and one of the other guys also caught a snapper, put it in a feed sack and through the feed sack over his shoulder. The snapper bit him in the middle of his back and of course hung on. I did everything I could to help which was absolutely nothing because I was laughing so hard I could barely stand up.

There is mean ones on 2 legs too!!!:msp_scared:

Back