Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree about the 3 way wedge, looks neat, can see the benefit of it but the side stress makes me doubt the durability. How is the splitter holding up?
Another thing I don't see often, is the oil tank (down) under the engine :msp_biggrin:

Here is 2 cord that was stacked till something around 4 am. My mum insisted in helping with stacking a few month back so I let her stack these 2,5 rows. One side against the building, the other against another stack, stacked in the opposite way. I told her to stack it as good as possible because they get sun most of the day and the wind blows through them from the opposite side. After the first row, I asked here to stop because it was already leaning (the wrong way), but she wouldn't listen and it all needed to go fast fast fast. So I guess I have some extra work after my exams. I still need to split and stack 7 cords, stack another 1,5 cord + these 2 cords and I've only got 10 days before I leave on holiday with my gf.
At least I'm not bored :bang:
View attachment 299035

I agree about the 3 way wedge, looks neat, can see the benefit of it but the side stress makes me doubt the durability. How is the splitter holding up?
Another thing I don't see often, is the oil tank (down) under the engine :msp_biggrin:

Here is 2 cord that was stacked till something around 4 am. My mum insisted in helping with stacking a few month back so I let her stack these 2,5 rows. One side against the building, the other against another stack, stacked in the opposite way. I told her to stack it as good as possible because they get sun most of the day and the wind blows through them from the opposite side. After the first row, I asked here to stop because it was already leaning (the wrong way), but she wouldn't listen and it all needed to go fast fast fast. So I guess I have some extra work after my exams. I still need to split and stack 7 cords, stack another 1,5 cord + these 2 cords and I've only got 10 days before I leave on holiday with my gf.
At least I'm not bored :bang:
View attachment 299035

Ayuh,
I hate it when that happens.....:bang:

299035-07062013067-jpg

Ayuh,
I hate it when that happens.....:bang:
Same here! But this could have been avoided, if she would have listened (doesn't happen), so if I stacked it myself. The other 6 cord I have stacked at the same time is still standing straight. I guess this was her last stack for a couple of years ;) she is just too impatient and careless.
You can see the tarps under it, I was waiting for it to happen.

Same here! But this could have been avoided, if she would have listened (doesn't happen), so if I stacked it myself. The other 6 cord I have stacked at the same time is still standing straight. I guess this was her last stack for a couple of years ;) she is just too impatient and careless.
You can see the tarps under it, I was waiting for it to happen.

Hard to say no to Mum.....:hmm3grin2orange:

Hard to say no to Mum.....:hmm3grin2orange:

Yea and she means no harm and likes the exercise but she also knows I'm not a fan of doing it twice :D I've been hitting it with hammers for around 5 times the pas few weeks, used some 5 ton load locking belts with some boards to keep it from going over but it was long lost. It happens, re-stack and go on. Making room for some more wood!:rock:

Welcome to Arboristsite!
Nice pics. You've some good lookin' stacks there, :msp_thumbup: .....
.....I like you're little helper "sneakin'" into the pics..... :D

299063-2012-07-12_18-36-34_350-jpg
299062-2012-07-12_18-35-49_78-jpg

Thanks for the Welcome. I 've been burning for 4 years now, since we got our wood stove. And I love it. Every year I try and become better at processing wood. The more time I save doing it, the more time with my family.:msp_smile:

Thanks for the Welcome. I 've been burning for 4 years now, since we got our wood stove. And I love it. Every year I try and become better at processing wood. The more time I save doing it, the more time with my family.:msp_smile:

Watch out for CAD...
It'll sneak up on ya...
Welcome aboard...

I live and work on a farm in western Kentucky and I also manage another farm 15 miles away. I'm also called out fairly often to cut trees (Don't worry, I don't cut trees that are anywhere near houses/shops/trucks/valuables/etc.) for people and that's one way that I get firewood to burn. I'm just starting to get around to restocking the woodpile after burning most of it last year. Last year was a rough year, I couldn't find many dead/diseased trees to cut and not many people needed trees cut. This year, different story. I'm going to have to start turning them down. Anyway, to the pictures... They're a couple months old, but they're all I've got.

View attachment 299466
One truckload of wood I cut during the winter. Much smaller job than I usually get. A nice break.
View attachment 299467
Another truckload from the same farm.
View attachment 299468
The best splitting axe in the world!
View attachment 299469
The newest photograph of the woodpile I've got...

I live and work on a farm in western Kentucky and I also manage another farm 15 miles away. I'm also called out fairly often to cut trees (Don't worry, I don't cut trees that are anywhere near houses/shops/trucks/valuables/etc.) for people and that's one way that I get firewood to burn. I'm just starting to get around to restocking the woodpile after burning most of it last year. Last year was a rough year, I couldn't find many dead/diseased trees to cut and not many people needed trees cut. This year, different story. I'm going to have to start turning them down. Anyway, to the pictures... They're a couple months old, but they're all I've got.

View attachment 299466
One truckload of wood I cut during the winter. Much smaller job than I usually get. A nice break.
View attachment 299467
Another truckload from the same farm.
View attachment 299468
The best splitting axe in the world!
View attachment 299469
The newest photograph of the woodpile I've got...

Welcome to the site.

Jakers, NHlocal, thanks for the great welcome. I hope to take another photo later on when I've actually got some wood...but the guys on here put me to shame. And about the Fiskars, I was skeptical. I didn't think it could perform near even a 6 lb. maul. Whoa. I was so wrong. I can split wood all day and be less tired - and have more to show for it.

Edit - in the photo NHlocal made bigger, the split piece that's closest had conduit coming out the side of it... Had to be real careful when I split that piece. My Fiskars got nowhere near that round. Much rather dull a dull maul.

Last edited:
Jakers, NHlocal, thanks for the great welcome. I hope to take another photo later on when I've actually got some wood...but the guys on here put me to shame. And about the Fiskars, I was skeptical. I didn't think it could perform near even a 6 lb. maul. Whoa. I was so wrong. I can split wood all day and be less tired - and have more to show for it.

Edit - in the photo NHlocal made bigger, the split piece that's closest had conduit coming out the side of it... Had to be real careful when I split that piece. My Fiskars got nowhere near that round. Much rather dull a dull maul.

I'm with you on the Fiskars Slade. I was very skeptical, to say the least. After my younger son started showing interest in swinging the 6-lb maul, I thought a Fiskars might be advised for him, due to the lighter weight. Turns out, he didn't like the Fiskars and went back to the maul after a dozen swings. Since it now couldn't be returned, I gave it a try and WOW! I just wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't tried it myself. It took me awhile to remember to dial back my swing, so as not to bury it in my chopping block while splitting some moderately tough elm, but after getting that figured out, I was off to the races. I got the 36" handle due to my son being only an inch short of 6 ft. as he departs Jr. High. (What the heck is in our kid's food these days?!?!?!) It feels like a perfect fit for my 6 ft. frame too.

I still think the mauls (6lb and 8-lb) will come in handy for the really tough stuff, or I'll just fire up the hydraulic splitter if the mood strikes and/or I feel the need.

Welcome aboard!

I'm with you on the Fiskars Slade. I was very skeptical, to say the least. After my younger son started showing interest in swinging the 6-lb maul, I thought a Fiskars might be advised for him, due to the lighter weight. Turns out, he didn't like the Fiskars and went back to the maul after a dozen swings. Since it now couldn't be returned, I gave it a try and WOW! I just wouldn't have believed it if I hadn't tried it myself. It took me awhile to remember to dial back my swing, so as not to bury it in my chopping block while splitting some moderately tough elm, but after getting that figured out, I was off to the races. I got the 36" handle due to my son being only an inch short of 6 ft. as he departs Jr. High. (What the heck is in our kid's food these days?!?!?!) It feels like a perfect fit for my 6 ft. frame too.

I still think the mauls (6lb and 8-lb) will come in handy for the really tough stuff, or I'll just fire up the hydraulic splitter if the mood strikes and/or I feel the need.

Welcome aboard!

It reminds me of throwing a dart. I was surprised at the amount of control you have compared to any others I have used.

Back