Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good job by all you out there. A lot of hard work and effort just to see it go up in smoke. I haven't decided if all this cutting, splitting and stacking is keeping us young or making us grow old. Either way,I know myself, I will keep at it till I cant. Keep up the hard work.
Agreed, when I was a kid I hated it but now I find it relaxing. Being in the woods, splitting stacking with the dog, no neighbors for at least 1/2 mile. Peaceful. My back sometimes says otherwise!

Brian

Agreed, when I was a kid I hated it but now I find it relaxing. Being in the woods, splitting stacking with the dog, no neighbors for at least 1/2 mile. Peaceful. My back sometimes says otherwise!

Brian

Of course anything can be overdone but I soundly believe the human body is not made for idle, use it or lose it. And ditto on the relaxing and peaceful.

I see you have the ever present "helper" there. Mine is doing this constantly while I split.
7e7f09b9e852182c6fcd75972b1891fa.jpg

Nice on the "too much wood problem".

I wish

Brian

scored this load today, gotter s/s in the shed, took the funny colored boat anchor along, 1st time of taking it to the woods, it's an overweight, under powered unit, but the price was rite and it's in good shape.

Attachments

• 100_1859.JPG
    100_1859.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 78
  • 100_1860.JPG
    100_1860.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 81
I used to cut into 6 to 7 foot lengths, load them on the truck and cut in to 16" pieces at the house, but cleaning up all the saw dust and wood chips sucks. So now I just save a step, save some mess, and cut into 16 pieces at site location then stack on truck. Makes for tighter loads when stacked.

Got load 4 today it's about 30% ash the rest is crappy basswood but it will work Oct. Nov. In fact I am still heating the pool with crap wood. It was low 70s here and after I got this load I jumped in the 87 degree pool!

071a71c05b948f3f4bc3f6bae50d76f7.jpg

Brian
I sold lots of Basswood this year as carving wood to guys and gals that carve decoys, fishing lures and artists.
Three people took all 75 rounds and I made about $250 in the process.
Try advertising it that way as carver's wood and see what happens.

I try to keep my woodpile as clean as I can get it and keep the area around the wood pile clean too. Who ever has the nicest/cleanest looking woodpile, I will send them some free stickers :)

I just moved some firewood into the small dry space I have on the back of the house for wood storage. The firewood had been sitting outside uncovered in the weather for a couple years, a mix of oak and hackberry. I'd had this outside pile stacked tightly, three rows all jammed together and touching each other. I was disappointed again to find some decay and white mold on my firewood, especially the hackberry. It will still burn ok after it dries for a couple months. I did have it stacked on pallets so it wasn't contacting the ground. This is the last time I'll be storing it outside like that. It may look neat near the house, but it's not practical. I have a number of other piles I've made in the woods where I just dumped the split wood into big heaps 0n pallets. Piled loose like that I've not noticed anywhere near the amount of decay going on, the air circulation is better. I've had bad experiences putting tarps over my outside piles. It seems that the tarps just prevent air circulation and encourage decay.

First try at a panoramic photo. Pretty neat but the sun sorta screwed it up. Load 9 on the ground. Some maple and ironwood but mostly basswood. That was the last load off the clearing project for dad's new garage slash workshop.

b5161004ee02cc302c789bfe477e4ba5.jpg

Brian

Here's the red oak that was literally laying along a road and all of the other scroungers missed it.

All set to sun itself for two summers before becoming sauna heat.

View attachment 454255
just because someone keeps their wood pile near the road doesn't mean its for that taking...would have though that it being already split would be a clear indication...:dumb::lol:

Latest posts

Back