Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wood stoves are darn near indestructable

Dec. 2014
VIENNA, AUSTRIA- Police are puzzled by an exploding hand grenade inside a wood stove since the woman who owns it says she only put wood inside. Police say the World War II grenade apparently landed on a tree during fighting but did not go off. It was then enveloped by the tree growing around it to the point that it was invisible when the tree was chopped down for firewood. The wood was sold to a supermarket where the unidentified woman bought it. The explosion was in the town of Gmuden and shattered the stove's glass panel. The woman wasn't hurt since the sturdy wrought-iron stove contained the blast

Does it really give off that much heat? I've got an old wood burner just sitting around, I'd use it for that if it does... Some Mice are living in it currently...

Anything left out for a week becomes a mouse house... Even with all the Owl, Hawk, Cats, and Coyotes there's still a billion Mice... Freakin Rediculous

Enough heat to dry boots and warm the hands. Stacked the wood high to the northeast to dampen the wind. Chimney was key, keeps the smoke from blowing in your face.DSC00001.jpg

Does it really give off that much heat? I've got an old wood burner just sitting around, I'd use it for that if it does... Some Mice are living in it currently...

Anything left out for a week becomes a mouse house... Even with all the Owl, Hawk, Cats, and Coyotes there's still a billion Mice... Freakin Rediculous
Here I thought the house of mouse was an entertainment company with a stock symbol of DIS.

Nice! This is for bundles?

Yes, I have been supplying 3 campgrounds for the summer months. I have been just supplying the wood, cut and split to a designated area and the park had "volunteers"(they stay for free) do the bundling. I have been notified that I am going to have to bundle this year as well. Not sure how I am going to find the time. Trying to find someone to pay for this mind numbing job is proving difficult to say the least. In a couple of years my kids will be old enough to help, especially since I am using the profits towards there higher education fund.

Yes, I have been supplying 3 campgrounds for the summer months. I have been just supplying the wood, cut and split to a designated area and the park had "volunteers"(they stay for free) do the bundling. I have been notified that I am going to have to bundle this year as well. Not sure how I am going to find the time. Trying to find someone to pay for this mind numbing job is proving difficult to say the least. In a couple of years my kids will be old enough to help, especially since I am using the profits towards there higher education fund.

cool! I haven't broke into campground sales yet but I would like to, got lots of tulip poplar here which is perfect. For the just few dozen I move a year, firewood and cooking wood, I just hand wrap them (small shrinkwrap roll from big orange, comes with a handle for cheap), I use an old computer case to hold them while I get one end tight, then pull it out and finish.

I have seen linked here before some examples of home made bundlers. I know the manufactured ones are pricey, but..if you are going to do it for years and years, doing a lot, it might pay for itself soon enough.

Alternatively, you can use produce bags and a bucket (or better, straight piece of large diameter PVC tube) with the bottom cut out to load the bags, something like that. The straight tube would probably be better thinking about it. Open bag, drop in tube, load wood, pull tube out, close bag. Three campgrounds is right decent business, you'll figure it out. Search youtube you'll see some vids of firewood wrappers.

I have seen linked here before some examples of home made bundlers. I know the manufactured ones are pricey, but..if you are going to do it for years and years, doing a lot, it might pay for itself soon enough.

Alternatively, you can use produce bags and a bucket (or better, straight piece of large diameter PVC tube) with the bottom cut out to load the bags, something like that. The straight tube would probably be better thinking about it. Open bag, drop in tube, load wood, pull tube out, close bag. Three campgrounds is right decent business, you'll figure it out. Search youtube you'll see some vids of firewood wrappers.

I did the onion bags one year, what a PITA that was. I was glad to get out of bundling. I don't see any other way right now, except to bite the bullet and buy a commercial one. Looks like it should easily pay for itself in labor savings. I just don't have the time to be bundling 8-9,000 bundles a season, added on to the rest of the crap I do. I'm trying to figure out now how much extra to charge them for the bundling. Anyone know how many units a person should be able to produce an hour with a bundler?

I did the onion bags one year, what a PITA that was. I was glad to get out of bundling. I don't see any other way right now, except to bite the bullet and buy a commercial one. Looks like it should easily pay for itself in labor savings. I just don't have the time to be bundling 8-9,000 bundles a season, added on to the rest of the crap I do. I'm trying to figure out now how much extra to charge them for the bundling. Anyone know how many units a person should be able to produce an hour with a bundler?

The commercial units claim more than one a minute, much faster if you have a helper.

This is the first one that came up with a google search, just look for "firewood wrappers". The wrapping is fast, I would imagine the total time is knocked down by loading the baskets. As to price, heck, at least a buck more a bundle, that's more handling. Wholesale is I think 2-4 bucks a bundle for 3/4 cubic foot. I know my local supermarket was only paying 2 bucks and wanted a huge amount to stock many stores, I asked to see if it was worth my while to go big commercial, so I passed on trying to beat that, two bucks is too cheap. I would say at three bucks you could start to make some loot and with the volume you move, first season would pay for the wrapper.

And here is a place claims you can build a vertical one for 50 bucks if you can weld, they have the plans, mailed to you on Cd or download for cheap. Looks more reasonable to me. I might actually look into this one meself...note: different plans for different firewood tools

http://www.millerswoodcutting.com/wrapper-bundle.html

Thats the wrapper I have been looking at! I just don't know about the time factor, plus finding help. I'm getting $2.50 a bundle now without wrapping so I want to maintain the same profit margin, that's why I wondered in a real world scenario what you could actually wrap in an hour.

. . . I wondered in a real world scenario what you could actually wrap in an hour.

Note that the woman in that video is wrapping pre-stacked/staged bundles - that part is not shown. But she also does not look all that experienced operating that machine. If the staged wood was up, off the ground, and she stacked the finished bundles on a pallet (or however she delivers them), she could be more efficient as well.

Philbert

The start of 2017 firewood.
19fc3045028f002f7c4115a61ed8944b.jpg
e9b14992a7894c303a36079b4d11820d.jpg

Back