Post pictures of your woodpile/splitting area

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is that the saw you got at the GTG? Glad to see ya got it running.

It sure is! Thanks to @kuhndog for hooking me up with it! He told me it was to start with some ether, so I took her home, cleaner her up, pulled the old felt fuel "filter" and cut an 1/8" off the end and stuck it back on. With some coaxing it was able to start reliably, but tuning the carb was like trying to walk up an escalator backwards. Ended up putting a modern fuel filter on it, new fuel line, and rebuilt the carb with new kit, and spark plug. Found a handle guard to replace the missing one and then put a set of bucking spikes on it, then put a new 20" bar on it. The old 18" needs to be re-profiled, the grooves are pretty worn down and several areas. She cuts good now, though sometimes has some trouble on a cold start. Can't find air filters for these anymore, so I just clean it with mild soapy water, rinse and then let dry.

I'm going to have to sneak up there, I don't remember the yellow saw.

It's a fairly new acquisition, the oldest, but the coolest saw I own. Hey @rarefish383 — I've got a makeshift throwing gallery up. Was chucking a cheapo 3.5 lb double bit at it with good success. Was about to cut the handle down to 25" until it snapped off during a throw...

V0v9mnG.jpg

I don’t have the quality of firewood u guys down south do, but when I find a couple of nice dry standing spruce I consider it a decent score. Was logging a few milling spruce and happened to see these. Be nice for next winter.
View attachment 816575

Paging @dancan — I hear that Spruce ain't so bad. Mostly pitch pine rounds these parts, but I've burned some hemlock before and it was pretty good fuel!

I don’t have the quality of firewood u guys down south do, but when I find a couple of nice dry standing spruce I consider it a decent score. Was logging a few milling spruce and happened to see these. Be nice for next winter.
Here in Scandinavia we can just ignore all the "no softwood" -talk. Spruce is just fine everywhere I use it: in masonry stoves (we have three of them), in cookstove and in the sauna. It does not take 36 months to dry, is readily available and keeps the chimney clean... so I burn it.

I'd love to burn oak or something like that, but the problem is we don't have them. Or actually we do have a single oak on our property. But its diameter is around 6 inches measuring from just above the ground level. No mountains of oak firewood in sight, eh?

Here in Scandinavia we can just ignore all the "no softwood" -talk. Spruce is just fine everywhere I use it: in masonry stoves (we have three of them), in cookstove and in the sauna. It does not take 36 months to dry, is readily available and keeps the chimney clean... so I burn it.

I'd love to burn oak or something like that, but the problem is we don't have them. Or actually we do have a single oak on our property. But its diameter is around 6 inches measuring from just above the ground level. No mountains of oak firewood in sight, eh?
I have burned spruce and pine as long as its dry not a problem. Guess from my area you can pick and choose . If I'm going to spend a few days cutting and splitting it's going to be oak ,maple or hickory first . Other day we were walking the far side if the property and picked up about 5 pounds of hickory nuts. Set out on the charcoal it's a nice treat. I only cut dead or dangerous trees . Most I cut are blow downs. Trees can give a lot more than heat, this year I made 4 gallons of maple syrup. Same trees i have been harvesting sap from for 12 years

I've been home since the 13th of March. For once in 15 years, I'm actually cutting wood for next year! Still burning buy actually cutting for next year. I've been playing catch up since August because of a broken knee. Splitting area is messy but I'm getting things done. Stay Well Everyone!!BF6380B8-E44D-4C14-8B9C-65E98E3C10B0.jpeg292C1BD9-F1A9-4CBF-93F3-AFF32FC5DC5D.jpegEA465D84-0297-4DD8-A748-E82A5A1B49AC.jpegC5C40AB4-2A06-4A55-A239-F9290584E320.jpeg

Back