Poulan 2150 Again

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vs1392

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I know I bothered you all before about this saw, but I have some new information.

The problem is that the saw will not crank up easily. It only cranks up with the choke on. When it cranks up and you turn the choke off, the engine dies.

I had this saw checked by a mechainc and they did all the compression tests, replaced the spark plug, checked the muffler and the arrestor, checked the cylinder for scoring, and they checked the choke/trigger assembly. They also cleaned the carb. What could be wrong? He said the engine is perfect, but it doesn't run.

Ok. Heres the problem. I have a Poulan 2150 thats giving me some problems now. About a week ago, I posted a similar thread and was advised to clean the carb. I opened up the saw and checked the carb. The carb looked like it had never been used. The fuel lines were somewhat brown, so I pinched the lines while pushing the primer bulb, and released the fuel line. The fuel passed through, so there is no gas line blockage. The sparkplug was dirty, so I cleaned it and replaced it. I closed all the saw up. Then I turned the high and low adjustment screws 1 turn left from the right stop point.(360 degrees, not a 180 half turn) The saw cranked up like a miracle in one pull!!!!!(when in choke) I adjusted the idle screw so that the chain just about wont turn. It would idle perfectly. I then pulled the trigger. A lower blurbing type sound came out of the engine like it was about to die. I let go of the trigger and it idled again . I then turned off the choke and the engine immediately died. Did this bout 3 times. WHAT SHOULD I DO!!!!! Please help me as soon as possible. Thanks a whole lot. I appreciate all of your responses
This is my origian post from a while back

I adjusted the idle screw so that the chain just about wont turn. It would idle perfectly. I then pulled the trigger. A lower blurbing type sound came out of the engine like it was about to die. I let go of the trigger and it idled again . I then turned off the choke and the engine immediately died

referring to the excerpt above did you make the carb adjustment with the choke on? if so that may be your problem, reset the carb by turning the H&L screws clockwise until lightly seated then turn out one turn each anticlockwise and try cranking it up if it starts turn off the choke and see if it keeps running if it is playing nice for you then start making adjustments to richen it up and if in doubt get a friend who can tune a saw in the cut to help you or get a technician to finish off tweaking it on a tachometer.If you decide to tune it yourself make sure when you adjust the H screw (turn it anti clockwise) that you do it with the throttle wide open and adjust until it blubbers then back it off just a little bit (clockwise) until it blubbers slightly, for extra help on this part search for chainsaw tuning and you will find a link to madsens where there are audio files on what a chainsaw should sound like when set for Idle and wide open throttle

Last edited:
For the first time I noticed Poulans here, in Estonia :blob5:
Really light black, plastic things were. Now we have "Wild Things" too :angel:

Hi. I am from Baton Rouge, Louisiana. I live off the O'neal exit on I-12. You must be on the Denham Springs Exit. Cool.

I turned the carb to right stop. I then turned each screw 1 turn left (Meaning that I have to filp the screwdriver twice. I did this with the engine off. I cranked it up with choke, and tried to turn off chokr and it died.I keep on going through this process. So did the mechanic. Any more suggestions. Thanks for ur responses.

Poulan for me???not again

:Eye: Sounds like you should be able to fix this saw. Would not put too much in to it though. If you have a "lemon" it is sour until YOU quit sucking on it. The fact that it idles well makes it worth a little more sucking. :blob2: Just don't get hung up on fixin' up a Poulan. If you get it running right you still don't have any anti-vibration...or dealer support. :cry:

This may sound a little harsh but the reason the pros and experienced woodcutters on this site prefer other brands is not based on initial purchase price. It is based on value over time. If you get an inexpensive saw at a box store and it works for you...great. If it craps out on you then it's time to re-evaluate your needs.

Latest posts

Back