poulan 3300 (need help have pics)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Do you know if the oil pump is a diphram type or a gear driven positive displacement pump?

If it were a diaphram pump I would think either the diaphram was bad or a check valve was stuck?

Don't know what it could be with a gear pump......

Polan 3300

I have no idea. But this sounds like a possible answer to the problem because the saw has not ben started since last summer. Maybe the diaphram dried out and cracked? Where is located?

I have had this saw from new and it has never leaked out oil like now. The oil just runs out of the orfice like nothing is controling it, totally covers the lower part of the saw and what ever it is sitting on. Is there some other type of control inside somewhere that might be stuck open?

If you go to post# 16 in this thread and click on the link to the IPL for the 3300 you'll see the oiler adjustment screw. Look at the bottom of the saw to adjust it.

I am highly suspect of part number 137, the discharge line that connects the pump to the bar mount area. Like my 3400 this line is inside the oil tank and if it has come loose from the bar mount OR it has disentigrated then bar oil will come right out the oiler hole like you are describing, running or not.

I bet $1 that is the problem.

Thanks guys, sounds like the line might be the problem. Now I have to figure out how to access it and make repairs............

It might require splitting the cases apart. Which would be a good oppurtunity to inspect the bearings and seals anyway.

ME! Sure! Maybe I'll let it leak and convince the wife it's time for a new one. Thanks for all your advise..............:cheers:

When you get permission to buy the MS361 send me your 3300 and I'll make it work again!

the boy ever get his saw running?

i guess not!

;)

Seriously though, you should try to fix it. It is a really decent saw, and I would like to have one day for my collection.

Today is Saturday June 27, 2009 so this is probably too late to help in this case, but I didn't see anyone with the correct solution to this problem, so here is what I found. This is the same problem I had, open the carb area and see fuel line crumbled and don't really know where everything went. In the pictures, the barrel fuel line should go to the fitting at the carb intake, in the picture it is going to the top where the impulse line should go. The flapper valve should have a short piece of line sticking out with a duck bill (check valve) and nothing else. Looks funny, but that is it. The line that goes to the top of the carb is the impulse line and goes to a nipple on the base of the cylinder. You feed the line through a slot in the plastic housing below the carb, through to the barrel. I took the starter cover off and used a needle nose pliers to shove on the fuel line. I rebuilt my carb twice and was going to buy a new one, but went to the local saw shop and the guy laughed and told me to bring it in and he would tell me what I did wrong... and he was right. You think the two lines coming out of the tank go to the side and top, but that's only half right. Sure enough, when I got home, I took the starter cover off and saw the nipple on the barrel with rotten piece of line on it going nowhere. There you have it. I had almost given up on this saw and had my wife buy me a new one last Christmas and there the 3300 sat, but I couldn't bare to give up on it because I don't use it that much and it was nearly new. Hope someone gets use out of this, but I had to tell someone!

Today is Saturday June 27, 2009 so this is probably too late to help in this case, but I didn't see anyone with the correct solution to this problem, so here is what I found. This is the same problem I had, open the carb area and see fuel line crumbled and don't really know where everything went. In the pictures, the barrel fuel line should go to the fitting at the carb intake, in the picture it is going to the top where the impulse line should go. The flapper valve should have a short piece of line sticking out with a duck bill (check valve) and nothing else. Looks funny, but that is it. The line that goes to the top of the carb is the impulse line and goes to a nipple on the base of the cylinder. You feed the line through a slot in the plastic housing below the carb, through to the barrel. I took the starter cover off and used a needle nose pliers to shove on the fuel line. I rebuilt my carb twice and was going to buy a new one, but went to the local saw shop and the guy laughed and told me to bring it in and he would tell me what I did wrong... and he was right. You think the two lines coming out of the tank go to the side and top, but that's only half right. Sure enough, when I got home, I took the starter cover off and saw the nipple on the barrel with rotten piece of line on it going nowhere. There you have it. I had almost given up on this saw and had my wife buy me a new one last Christmas and there the 3300 sat, but I couldn't bare to give up on it because I don't use it that much and it was nearly new. Hope someone gets use out of this, but I had to tell someone!

thank you for the insight yoder

Your filter is likely varnished shut. You can try to spray it out with carb cleaner and blowing through the nipple but it usually doesn't work too well.

The impulse line is the line from the brass fitting on top of the carb to the cylinder base and you should check and replace it as well as cut said.

The other thing to make sure of is the vent valve is installed the right way.

It should let air in to the tank but not out so drain the tank and make sure you can blow in to the vent line.

Your'e correct that he's got the impulse line going into the tank vent hole( hole nearest cylinder). The impulse line goes from the top carb inlet to the base of cylinder behind carb. The fuel line goes to the side inlet on carb. The fuel vent hole should have had a duckbill valve in it originally.

Can anyone give me some advise about fixing a bar oil leak on my Poulan 3300. Seems to be coming out of (what I guess is) the orfice for oiling the chain. I have shut the flow screw down to the fully closed position, but oil still comes out as the saw is running. Is there supposed to be some type of a control cap on this orfice? Help please!!

There is a worm gear inside pump that is turned by the worm gear on the crankshaft. If the crankshaft turns you're going to get oil.

I have had this saw from new and it has never leaked out oil like now. The oil just runs out of the orfice like nothing is controling it, totally covers the lower part of the saw and what ever it is sitting on. Is there some other type of control inside somewhere that might be stuck open?

Check oil seal and pump gasket. Oil may be leaking from there as opposed to the oil outlet hole. When you run saw does bar and chain throw oil or does it drip from bottom of saw. If the latter you either have a blocked oil discharge line or a leaking oil seal or gasket. Its a worm gear driven pump though I'm not sure how oil gets from tank to pump. Must be by vacuum as there is no direct line connection to pump.

Back