Poulan dies after 10 min.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

musch

Chainsaw Zombie
Reaction score
I have probably the cheapest 16" poulan out there.
It starts hard, after many many pulls.
Once it is running, it will go for about ten minutes, and then suddenly die, usually right after completing a cut.
At that point, it is very difficult to start again, but I noticed after opening the gas tank to check if it was empty, it seemed to start a little easier.

It had been stored for some time, and before 1st use, I drained the old gas and added fresh 1:40, and chain oil. After the initial issues, I changed the plug, which seemed to increase the torque or power somewhat.

My thoughts are as follows. Is it overheating? What is causing it to suddenly die after about 10 minutes of consistant use. When it stops, it is suddenly, as though it is out of gas.

Between cuts, it idles perfectly fine.
Or is this just to be expected of such a cheap saw.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I have a much nicer Husqvarna, but would like to maintain this saw for small branches, and cleaning up in my yard in the city, etc.
Then again, to take it to a shop will probably end up costing more than I paid for the thing.

Check the other threads

Hey musch, check the other threads in the chainsaw forum. There are lots of answers to your question, and ask Lakeside... he seems to be the resident expert.

Sounds like it might be a tank vent that is getting you...you might be pulling a vacuum in the tank, and slowly starving the machine for fuel.

Like bearclaw said, a few of the recent threads with the same question have popped up - good info there!

Four Paws said:
Sounds like it might be a tank vent that is getting you...you might be pulling a vacuum in the tank, and slowly starving the machine for fuel.

Like bearclaw said, a few of the recent threads with the same question have popped up - good info there!

Ditto and you want to fix it up as it can burn up a piston and cylinder if it leans out on you while starving for gas.

It is a 2050
I should mention, that it dies as though it is running out of gas, but doesn't sputter or anything.
Power remains consistant from startup until it stops.
It also leaks chain oil (not really fast)

Wow, it ran for 10 minutes?!?!? :help: Joshing aside, it does sound fuel related, vent plugged (soak in alcohol or straight gas for a bit and blow out the crud, from the outside of course), check the filter too and flush the tank, do those things have a float bowl on the carb? If so maybe its sticking. You don't mention how long it was stored and whether it was run dry before being put away. As far too many people know, gas will turn into a mucky varnish-like substance when left too long creating a variety of problems esp with the filter and little pinhole passages in the carb. I might pull the whole carb and give it a good soak too but it does sound like a vent problem though. Just my 0.02$ worth for the afternoon.

Latest posts

Back