Poulan Model 52 Two Man Saw Reborn (Video)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

67 Mustang

Addicted to ArboristSite
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
This is a Poulan Model 52 from the early 1950's. I acquired this saw about a year ago. Was never able to unstick the P&C even though I tried soaking it over a period of months with various penetrating oils. Dean (Igpoe) and I finally resorted to cutting the old P&C off with a reciprocating saw and replacing it with a good used one.

This is a video of the saw running right after the rebuild.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hcw_k5cAQa0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here are the first cuts made after the rebuild. No problem with the power head but bar & chain had some issues.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k17O2DkTrRQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This saw wouldn't be back together without Dean's assistance. He helped with most phases of its reconstruction and sourced the top end and bearings for the rebuild. Thanks!

Very cool !
Seems like the chain needs more oil ?

Sounds Great! Steve, I'm watching your video on my desktop PC, its hooked up to my Boes radio. The sound is much better on that..than my laaptop.:D

Sounds like you have the engine in top running condition. Looks like that beast would cut some wood when ya get the bar/chain problem figured out.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Very cool !
Seems like the chain needs more oil ?

Thanks, Brian. It had plenty of oil as I recall.

Sounds Great! Steve, I'm watching your video on my desktop PC, its hooked up to my Boes radio. The sound is much better on that..than my laaptop.:D

Sounds like you have the engine in top running condition. Looks like that beast would cut some wood when ya get the bar/chain problem figured out.

:cheers:
Gregg,

Thanks, Gregg! I bet it does have a good sound on the Bose. But you ought to hear it in person! The chain I have is missing some cutters and I'm trying to solve that issue. We were using Dean's bar & chain and it has a slight kink in it that needs to be straightened. Never thought I wanted a two man saw but this one's a lot of fun.

Nice job on the saw,it sounds good.:cheers::cheers:
Yeah it looked like it was cutting to one side then binding up a little.
When I first got my Mall 7 running a made a cut it did the same thing.

My Bad!

:msp_blushing: Apologies to all of you who weren't able to see the first video. I made it public. You should be able to view it now. And thanks to everyone for your positive comments.

Steve

Well good to see that bad boy run. I am stuck in the house got the flu hope you dont catch it.
Saw looks awesome!

This is a Poulan Model 52 from the early 1950's. I acquired this saw about a year ago. Was never able to unstick the P&C even though I tried soaking it over a period of months with various penetrating oils. Dean (Igpoe) and I finally resorted to cutting the old P&C off with a reciprocating saw and replacing it with a good used one.

This is a video of the saw running right after the rebuild.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/hcw_k5cAQa0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Here are the first cuts made after the rebuild. No problem with the power head but bar & chain had some issues.

<iframe title="YouTube video player" width="640" height="510" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/k17O2DkTrRQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This saw wouldn't be back together without Dean's assistance. He helped with most phases of its reconstruction and sourced the top end and bearings for the rebuild. Thanks!

I appreciate the cudos.
What our fellow readers don't know is that you offered me the saw for a mere
$350 about 10 minutes before we lit it! I'll let you tell'em the current asking price!
:givebeer: Igpoe :popcorn::cheers:

That looks dangerous. Don't you know somebody could get hurt!!! :rock:

Nice work.

Thanks!

Steve, I know that's been a project for some time. I'm so glad to see and hear it up and running! :rock:

Awfull good for Dean to help out as well.

Thanks, Mark! I'm glad it's going too. Still a couple of finishing touches but the hard part is over. Dean's been great to work with through this whole project.

Hey Steve,
You do know I have half interest in that thing don't you. You would have never found it without me navigating that day. I stihl think of that day when you and LP were hearing banjo music when we were looking around.

HA HA just kidding but you know how LP seems to work his half interest stuff into all the deals so I thought I'd try it out. I knew that you'd get her going and clean as a pin before it was over with. Mr. Dean is a good helper I think hey may be wise beyond his years. Looking good as always look forward to seeing it in person.

I miss all the good threads on my mandatory vacations from the interenet. lol

Glad to see ya'll got her goin!

Hey Steve,
You do know I have half interest in that thing don't you. You would have never found it without me navigating that day. I stihl think of that day when you and LP were hearing banjo music when we were looking around.

HA HA just kidding but you know how LP seems to work his half interest stuff into all the deals so I thought I'd try it out. I knew that you'd get her going and clean as a pin before it was over with. Mr. Dean is a good helper I think hey may be wise beyond his years. Looking good as always look forward to seeing it in person.

Thanks to both of you for helping to find this one. That was kind of a strange place out there, SP.

Latest posts

Back