Poulan/Poulan Pro 3314, 3516, 3818, 3816, 4018, 4218, etc question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I really like the 330/380. However, if I really needed another 20" saw (which I don't), I would look very seriously at the PP5020. They're selling these for $200, and I'm sure they're not taking a loss on them - so now you see what the real cost of a saw is.

yeah the 5020 looks like a halfway decent saw, i finally found an IPL of it on sears parts website, it looks like its designed along the lines of the 4620, a little heavier duty than the 4218 family. with some mild porting and adjustment the 5020 would probably be a pretty fun saw.

not a bad little saw, i'll wait a while and see if i can snag a used one off ebay to play around with. I'm getting ready to see how the 4218 responds to some mild intake porting, strato port polishing, and exhaust porting/polishing, i've modded the muffler, i'm not real happy with it though, im probably gonna grab another stock muffler out of my garage and try something different, or get a muffler from the old 295 and play with that. the 4218 runs pretty decent as it is now, i have a 14" oregon laser solid tip bar with a 3/8" semi-chisel long top chain on it, all i have done to the saw itself is drill a few holes in the air cleaner cover to allow more air into the motor, polished the exhaust port, ported the muffler, and retuned the carb.

I actually like plastic clutch covers, plastic shell not so much.
I had one warp on the WT after 12 years and just replaced it. Guess I can't complain but metal would have held its shape.

I dropped 3 Ash trees Tuesday, and bucked them up, except for the top halves of the trees. My sister's BF then cuts the tops and upper trunks. He uses nothing but WildThings! :D Thats all he ever uses, for years. He cuts a heck of a lot of wood with them. They aren't my choice of saw, but I won't bad mouth them, thats for sure.

He picks them up at Pawn shops, etc. Then uses them hard for several years, till he has a problem, then just trashes it and uses another one. He got one a year or so ago someone gave him. It had a scored P&C. I put a new set on it for him and modded the muffler. He uses it some, but its his back-up saw in case the one he is using poops. LOL

He cut and hauled out just about a cord Tue. That stack of wood looks just as good as if it had been cut with a $600 saw!! ;)

:cheers:
Gregg,

Last edited:
Ahh, I don't know how many cords that was - I didn't start heating with wood seriously until about 5 years ago. Before that it mostly did clearing and clean up, but it was my only saw so it got used quite a bit. More recently it's been 5-6 cords a year, but clearing out junk.

But I truly like WT, as I've said quite a few times on here. I regard it as the universal general purpose saw.

Also, they're pretty simple saws and the parts are not very expensive and easy to get, at least for now, so I see not reason not to keep using it.

Ahh, I don't know how many cords that was - I didn't start heating with wood seriously until about 5 years ago. Before that it mostly did clearing and clean up, but it was my only saw so it got used quite a bit. More recently it's been 5-6 cords a year, but clearing out junk.

But I truly like WT, as I've said quite a few times on here. I regard it as the universal general purpose saw.

Also, they're pretty simple saws and the parts are not very expensive and easy to get, at least for now, so I see not reason not to keep using it.

There's something to be said for cheap parts...

The WT is better than most would think. Sure they're cheap, but if taken care of they will cut a lot more wood than you'd ever imagine.:cheers:

I've found that if the air fuel mix can be set correctly, most any 2-stroke motor can stand a fighting chance... At least the cheap poulans have a carb with a high and low screw you can work with... :confused:

When I first started posting here I was frustrated with my Poulans. A few parts had broken on the 2775, but mostly the problems I was having were my own fault. Some here will have you believe these are not "real" saws, and for a while I kinda got thinking that way too, but this is nonsense. These saws will respond well to good chains properly sharpened, good fuel mix and proper tuning. And maybe a muffler nod. Just like any saw. The basic construction and materials is similar to any clamshell design, and if I were shopping for a new saw this is the stuff I'd look at. And I have no doubt it would serve me well for years if properly maintained and used.

I'm not sure I like the styling on these new Poulans - they kind of have an exaggerated, cartoonish look going on, as if they hired some industrial designer to create a new look. But it's not awful, and I like things like the scrench holder on the 5020.

The PP5020, is basically a larger (50cc) version of the 4218. It's a clamshell strato saw, and the chassis is plastic.

Back