Poulan Pro 18" to 16" conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woodchip rookie

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
My neighbor GAVE me a 42cc 18" poulan pro. I know its not an exceptional saw but it looks like its in fine shape but I would like a 16" bar on it rather than an 18". Can I just find a 16" poulan bar? Do I havento change the sprocket because the pitch might be different?

I think thoes are a041 mounts 16 and 18. As long as both are low pro or not makes the difference.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ok...I looked at some numbers....the DL on the 18 is 62 and the specs on Oregons website for the 16 is 56DL. Does that matter? I dont understand the whole drive link thing. Is that just the bar matching the chain or does the DL number also have to match the drive sprocket? and do I have the option of going with a "narrow kerf" chain?

Ok...I looked at some numbers....the DL on the 18 is 62 and the specs on Oregons website for the 16 is 56DL. Does that matter? I dont understand the whole drive link thing. Is that just the bar matching the chain or does the DL number also have to match the drive sprocket? and do I have the option of going with a "narrow kerf" chain?
You will need a 56DL chain for the 16" bar, the 62DL chain will be 2" too long.

The number of DL does not have anything to do with the drive sprocket, as long as both chains are the same pitch.

You will need a 56DL chain for the 16" bar, the 62DL chain will be 2" too long.

The number of DL does not have anything to do with the drive sprocket, as long as both chains are the same pitch.
bingo now I get it. Its just a length count. I thought it had to do with the space between links.

ok so this bar has the slack adjuster built into the bar. It has the spot for the front adjuster in the clutch cover but the little dog and the screw arent there. So I need a 16" bar that has that. (I think)?

Don't get one of the "Intenz" bars - you'd be much better off getting the screw/pin/retainer kit. Search for part number
530069611 - they are only a few $, and will fit in your existing clutch cover.

What model is it? If it has A/V it is actually a rather nice saw, especially with a muffler mod.

It is an AV...it looks like a decent saw. I already popped some holes in the muffler, took the screen out, dilled some holes in the diverter plate thing & turned up the high side a little. Its a SM4218AV. I dont know what the "SM" designation is for though.

The 18" bar works awesome with a muffler mod. I just did it after a member convinced me to... Chris-PA... switched to a semi chisel chain and ran it today and it performed. Not like a 50 plus cc saw but worked very well.

*update*....

Not sure if people are still following this thread but I got a 16" b&c and went to Wright Bros Power in Newark, OH and they had the hookup. Guys knew their *&#!. So shout out to them. They had the tension rod kit that goes in the clutch cover for like 4 bucks and a 20" bar & full chisel for my 576xp.

However, I opened the case to get the saw out and the case was full of gas. The tank leaks. I dont think its the cap. I think its the seam in the (engine) casing. Is there a fix for that? So I drained the gas that was left in the saw back in my can and started inspecting and found the pickup line broke with the piece of fuel line attached to the filter just laying in the tank. Shouldnt be a bad fix but what about the gas leak? Just use the saw then when im done drain the saw back out so it doesnt leak out into the case?

Latest posts

Back