Poulan Pro Pioneer ??????

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JeffTucker

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I was hoping that some of you that have been around these saws for a while could help. Just got my saw back from the saw shop and it runs like a raped ape. :dizzy: Still dont know what model it is. The saw shop could only tell me it was a
4ci displacement. No model number markings or tag on saw. Does anybody know a trick to locating this info. Had some people tell me to look inside the clutch cover for model and nothing there either. I am really excited about this saw and how well it runs, but I would really like to know what it is. Thank you for the help!!!

View attachment 264753View attachment 264754View attachment 264755View attachment 264757

Nice saw, it does look like a 455. There is usually a little plate under the clutch cover, but sometimes they fall off. It might be stamped on the bottom of the saw under the handle. It should also say the model under the K&N sticker.
Kevin

Thanks! I pulled the K&N sticker off, carefully, and nothing. Couldnt find a stamp in any of those other places metioned either. I may be at a loss.....

I was just looking at photos and specs on Mike Acres Web site. I havent found a better resource yet. I dont really have the tools or skill to measure the bore, so I was hoping to find another way. I had the saw shop measure for me and all he told me was 4 cubic inches. Closest I have found for that was 405-3.97ci, 415-4.0ci, 425 - 4.0ci, 455-4.4ci, P42-3.97ci, P45- 4.38 ci, P52-5ci(so thats not it),

The 415 and 425 were manufactured in 1993 and 1995 respectively, so I think they are too new of a model to be right.

It looks like an old school P52 to me,

[video]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-jV93NcYkn_c/TZky9DJGwFI/AAAAAAAAJuE/0OytSWClo8k/s576/2010%2520Trip%2520to%2520Alaska%25201321.jpg?gl=US[/video]

[video]https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/-A6WE2FPlkck/TZky29bXDdI/AAAAAAAAJtk/ZIVxXBooLRc/s640/2010%2520Trip%2520to%2520Alaska%25201314.jpg?gl=US[/video]

The model plate will either be on the bottom of the saw or below the clutch. If it's by the clutch, you do not need to remove the cover to see it.
I believe it's a 405. That's a 4 cube saw. Same as a Pioneer P42.

Looking closer, it's 100% a 405. Only the 405 and 455 used that lower frame. The fact that the clutch cover in that color will not except a dual dog also says 405.

The model plate will either be on the bottom of the saw or below the clutch. If it's by the clutch, you do not need to remove the cover to see it.
I believe it's a 405. That's a 4 cube saw. Same as a Pioneer P42.

Im pretty sure it fell off in the woods before I aquired the saw. I have been looking all over the saw for any indications as to what it is and have found nothing. I sure do appreciate all you guys offering help :biggrin:

Looking closer, it's 100% a 405. Only the 405 and 455 used that lower frame. The fact that the clutch cover in that color will not except a dual dog also says 405.

Thank You!!!! Thank You!!! I never looked that close! As stated above, You are the man on these. I knew I was asking the right folks. Thanks again everyone

Last but not least, is it normal for these saws to leak fuel out of the breather hole in the gas cap? Mine pisses out all over the floor when turned on its side. Maybe I'll have to use it strictly for bucking and not felling or milling.

Last but not least, is it normal for these saws to leak fuel out of the breather hole in the gas cap? Mine pisses out all over the floor when turned on its side. Maybe I'll have to use it strictly for bucking and not felling or milling.

That hole is a tank vent. It is to let air in ,but not fuel out. P M your address to me and I will check to see if I have a good cap. If I have one I will send it to you. Tom

Like Barneyrb mentioned, the starter cover is not normal for a 405/455. Your cover is off a Pioneer/Partner P42, which is the exact same saw as the Poulan Pro 405. I could be wrong, but I believe all the Poulan Pro 40 series used a beveled edge air filter cover. I think yours is off a 525 or 655. No difference... just cosmetic. The upper handle and AF cover are all the same from the 40 to 60 series.

I know yours is a 40 series, but a quick way to determine a 40 series from the 50 and 60 is to measure the distance between AV mounts on the lower frame. The 40 series (Pioneer and PP) will measure 1 7/8". The 50 and 60 series are 2 1/4".

IMG_8012.jpg

Here's the location of where the model plate should be. You can check for the empty rivet holes if it fell off.

IMG_8008.jpg

This is on a P42, it's on the bottom.

IMG_8013.jpg

Here's a pic showing the different starter covers. The P42 is in the middle, that's the style you have. Again.... only cosmetic.

IMG_8011.jpg

No, your cap should not leak. There is a check valve built into the cap. It may have failed or fell out.
PM me your address and I'll get a new cap out to you.

@ Arrowhead Thank You!!! PM Sent
Maybe one of you could post if you find the part, so that you and Tom dont both send me parts. I dont want to take advantage of your guy's generosity. Thank you again to all of you for the help. Im going to go measure :smile2:

Back