Poulan question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BIG JAKE

Let’s go Brandon!
Reaction score
The other day I decided clean the fins and de-crud my Poulan 2200-cleaned the air filter,sharpen chain, etc, as I do time to time. Saw has always run good but on this day I was checking my hi speed setting to make sure it was rich enough, and I couldn't perceive appreciable change. My Stihls always are easy to adjust and I always warm up the saw then tweek the H.S.-peak it out then go counter clockwise(out) until it retards slightly but still has decent performance. Stihl premix at 40:1 although I usually run Maxima 927 castor synthetic. This day I couldn't tell where I was at yet the saw runs good. But even if I turned all the way out it still ran good. So I shut it off(don't want to seize it), but was thinking I could pull the screw out and hose it with carb cleaner or take the carb apart. Any recommendations or wisdom? Not sure what carb it has and the saw has not been sitting.

I don''t know exactly what carb you have in your saw, but many of the newer carbs only adjust a portion of the fuel flow with the H screw - this could explain what you are seeing.

Hi
If you are running 40:1 in the poulan, I would change to 24:1, or at least 32:1 Because 40:1 is a little lean for that saw.
If after you change the gas, and at wide open throttle, the high speed adj, still dont make any difference, I would check for a small air leak in the saw somewhere.
Hope this helps
Shadetree

shadetree said:
Hi
If you are running 40:1 in the poulan, I would change to 24:1, or at least 32:1 Because 40:1 is a little lean for that saw.
If after you change the gas, and at wide open throttle, the high speed adj, still dont make any difference, I would check for a small air leak in the saw somewhere.
Hope this helps
Shadetree

not so sure... Small air leaks only affect idle, not H run. Big air leaks affect everything...

I know what you mean Lakeside53, but I have had several of these small poulans in my shop down though the years, that had air leaks, (usally chain side seal) that were not bad anough, to effect overall running all that much at first glance, but the carb would not adj right.
Any way though, I check for air leaks on almost all the saws I work on, because, I have overlooked that in the past, and it has cost me alot of extra work. lol
By the way the carb on that I think is a walbro wt series

Shadetree

I'll check the carb to see which one it is. I usually run 32:1 for that saw I think I'll go back to that and switch back to the Maxima as I trust it. They have a 1-800 number sticker on the saw I'll call that and then see if I can find a manual on line to compare the answers. If it seizes it's a throw away or ebay for parts maybe so will leave it sit for now till I figure this out.
Thanks Andy and Shadetree for your inputs. What's your personal experience with the stihl oil?

:greenchainsaw:

Lakeside53 said:
not so sure... Small air leaks only affect idle, not H run. Big air leaks affect everything...

Andy that carb is a Walbro WT239 with an A3 stamp to the right. All the screws were nice and tight.

thks

I had to hose the carb off with carb cleaner. I actually pulled it while I was at it. Hosed everything off to be able to see the number. Tight fit. Then hosed it completely clean and reinstalled everything as all parts and gaskets looked good. Set it at 1 1/2 turns out from bottom and fired it up. Adjusts just fine now-go figure. Must have degummed something by means of osmosis:givebeer: Didn't run it long though as I'm afraid of 40:1. Going back to 32:1 Maxima 927 and run it slightly rich as I always have. For a cheap saw it's been good. By the way, the folks at customer service were clueless :confused:. But it's ready to cut again. Neat thing about a saw like that is if I lend one that's the one I lend(but selective on that too). I don't lend my Stihls. Got a cherry log ready to mill on sunday. Have a good one.

:chainsaw: :cheers:

Glad to here you got it adjusting, Big Jake
I have been working on these things for years now, and it always seems that it is the simple overlooked things, that give me the most problems.

Shadetree

Back